Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for my HUGE yard!
Rhonda H
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I live on 15 acres and would like to make small 'rooms' outside. I have several Pecan trees and need ideas on how to flower around them, maybe add benches, arbors....I also have an acre pond that I would like to add color, trees and plants too.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
creeser
Just making note to see what ideas come across. We have a lot of land and looking for ideas as well.
December 29, 2012 at 11:47AM     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
In my opinion this is beyond the scope of the houzz discussion group. If I were you, I'd find a landscape designer who is familiar with your local area and can guide you with ideas for plantings that will naturalize over a period of time.
December 29, 2012 at 11:50AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You need to add some dimension to the topography. Mounds and curved berms break up the flatness and add areas to put interesting plantings. It also gives you a back drop for seating areas anf sculpture. Every garden needs art. It would be amazing if you could build a dock out into the pond. Even better a gazebo at the end of it. A fountain in the middle that lights at night and pow instant ambiance for entertaining. After those ideas re-post and I would love to help more.
December 29, 2012 at 11:50AM   
houssaon
What ever you do, try to incorporate native plants in the pond area. Depending where you live there should be a state horticultural agency that you can contact to help you select appropriate plant material.
December 29, 2012 at 11:57AM     
Rhonda H
Love the dimension and berms idea! Cynthia, I know it's a lot of land but I need to start somewhere. I do not want to landscape the whole 15 acres, but I do want some romantic seating by the pond for cool evenings. I am going to do a small 20' winding waterfall on one end of the pond with some lights and I have thought of the gazebo idea, maybe with a swing in it. Thanks for all the ideas...looking forward to more! Can I add berms around my Pecan trees or what do you suggest?
December 29, 2012 at 11:58AM   
houssaon
Don't change the level of the ground around planted trees or you'll smother the roots.

Since you live in Florida, here is a link to the Florida State Horticultural Society: http://www.fshs.org/ and here is a database of plant information: http://hort.ufl.edu/database/index.shtml

Good luck.
December 29, 2012 at 12:02PM     
Jayme H.
I would consult with a landscape architect...so many things to learn. Love your place.
December 29, 2012 at 12:30PM     
mpoulsom
I would build a bridge over the pond! with a stepping stone path at the other end, leading to a shady area for picnicing.....with picnic table and benches.
December 29, 2012 at 1:03PM   
mpoulsom
Oh yes...and some sculpture here and there where you would least expect it! I adore outdoor sculpture!!!
December 29, 2012 at 1:04PM   
Rhonda H
Great ideas!!!
December 29, 2012 at 1:18PM   
creeser
MP, want to come do my yard with all your great ideas? *L*
December 29, 2012 at 2:28PM     
creeser
With all the suggestions Rhonda, I think I'd start with your gazebo and then work out from there. That pond is such a wonderful place.
December 29, 2012 at 2:30PM   
kitasei
STOP STOP STOP with all the little ornaments - the bridges, docks, gazebos, sculptures, and who else knows what! Make yourself a map (google earth's satellite view can be a good start. Westchester County in NYS has interactive GIS maps that have more overlays, like wetlands and topography.) Then, map in hand, walk the land. Walk in every direction. Note on your map the features and vistas you see. Stop often and turn around. .... I'm being summoned to dinner, but will continue. This is my favorite topic )
December 29, 2012 at 2:40PM     
kitasei
OK, back to your order of operations. Next think of paths, routes through this wonderful landscape you have. Where are the viewing points that will be natural destinations? I think you could no better than to read one of the many great books about how Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux transformed a barren rectangle in the middle of Manhattan into Central Park. That history, by the way, includes their lifelong battle to keep ornaments from detracting from the landscape art. Central Park today does of course include much art and active recreation, but even they benefit from the principle that put the landscape first.
December 29, 2012 at 3:47PM   
Rhonda H
Thanks Kit! You have some great starting points!
December 29, 2012 at 3:51PM