Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is this room to crowded?
cvoicu64
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I think this room is missing something, is functional but I feel that is to crowded.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
The furniture and accessories are fine in this room, not sure about the wall color, it looks peachy in the photos and blends in too much with the sofa.
December 29, 2012 at 1:03PM     
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
I thinks it's a nice room that just needs some some soft, textural finishing touches, including window treatments and some artwork on that big blank wall. Right now with the neutral backdrop and no interest on any of the walls, your eye is focussed on the center with nowhere else to go.... I think that's why you feel it looks crowded... Pick up the coral (?) in the throw pillows in some simple drapes and bring the beautiful wood tone of your coffee table up on the wall with a framed piece of art.... it will add warmth and dimension to that space...
December 29, 2012 at 1:03PM     
MAlps
Would remove the two cofee tables by fire place
December 29, 2012 at 1:04PM     
mpoulsom
Peggy is right on! Take her advice! I concur with everything she has suggested!
December 29, 2012 at 1:06PM     
cvoicu64
Thank you for the great suggestions, I knew this will help, asking for help.
December 29, 2012 at 1:08PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Also adding to the above ideas switch the chair and table so the chair is by the fireplace. I do not like te idea of that table by the dark chest though. Could you find a small round maybe a inexpensive on from Home Goods or the like. The chair on the other side feels like it's pushed back to far also.
December 29, 2012 at 1:08PM     
PRO
Dytecture
Here is one option for the wall color.
December 29, 2012 at 1:09PM     
cvoicu64
Love the color, what color is? The color in the room is actually Crescent cream by SW 7721, is more like butter than peach.
December 29, 2012 at 1:15PM   
PRO
Wow Great Place
I agree, the room does feel crowded, but I think that's because there is a lot going on below eye level, which seems busy given the soaring ceilings.
I would remove the small pictures flanking the fireplace (those wall areas are too small to worry about adding any pictures, and just makes the fireplace area busier)
I know it's Christmas, but the poinsettias seem too much to me, and if you do keep them, I'd get them off the end tables and remove the red foil wrap on them, put them in nice pots and line them up on the floor in front of the fireplace for the holidays, then out of sight they go.
I'd change at least one of your tables, too much matchy-matchy going on. Either keep the coffee tables and swap out the end tables, or keep the end tables but change the coffee table to something darker (in wood) or even a few of those tree-trunk tables, as 2-3 of those grouped together could make a nice coffee table! (And be extra seating in a pinch)
Your tall windows are screaming for fabric. I would add long sweeps of drapery fabric to all 4 windows, filling the area of wall between each pair of windows, as well as on the outer edges of the windows.

I would add a really large piece of art on that big piece of blank wall behind your sectional. Not a grouping, as I think there is too much going on already, so I would keep it simple, but go BIG. I.e. 48" to 60" square would be a good size, or a huge rectangle, but hang it at eye level or lower, don't try to fill that huge wall with one piece of art, and don't hang it high to compensate for the tall wall.

Those are my first impressions...let's see what other Houzzers have to say!
December 29, 2012 at 1:16PM     
PRO
Wow Great Place
Love the idea of the wainscoting below the chair rail, and painting that white, then going for a green tone as Dytecture suggests!
December 29, 2012 at 1:18PM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
Pretty room. Love the paint color suggested above--draws in the piece over themantle. You need some luxurious curtain panels on the windows--installed at the top of the windows. Install the rods midway between ceiling and window from the fireplace wall. Drape curtains with tiebacks pulled away from the fireplace-frame it.
I think the art pieces flanking the fireplace are too small. I'd put them somewhere else--one on top of the other. I'd also remove those end tables and that lonely curvy chair in front of the window. Can you put the tables next to each other behind the couch? What is back there?
December 29, 2012 at 1:18PM     
cvoicu64
Thank so much...all ideas are so smart.
December 29, 2012 at 1:23PM   
cvoicu64
lots of space behind the couch
December 29, 2012 at 1:26PM   
kitasei
There seem to be too many matched sets - end tables, pictures, plants, lamps, pillows, even vents! Too much symmetry in their placement. It makes one wonder if there aren't identical rooms, as in a hall of hotel suites.. As in the best hotel rooms, however, it is inviting and restful. Just impersonal.
December 29, 2012 at 1:53PM     
tennisanyone
I would remove all those small pictures around the room by the windows and take away the end tables and the chair in the corner on the left side I would leave the plant to start. The room needs window treatments and a round coffee table.
December 29, 2012 at 1:54PM     
PRO
LM Designers
I agree with tennisanyone, get rid of the end tables and chair in the corner. Add the window treatments as suggested. Very pretty room.
December 29, 2012 at 1:59PM     
maryelle24
The end tables do distract from your beautiful fireplace!
December 29, 2012 at 2:05PM     
drnd
Now that we've decided to remove the match-matchy stuff, what goes in place? How about some soaring sculpture, a mobile from that high ceiling or some wall hangings in place of pictures. A contemporary or Oriental carpet with complementary colors would liven up the space. Looks like you are more contemporary than traditional ; why not put more contemporary style art in place of the traditional pictures ?
December 29, 2012 at 2:13PM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Ok. I had some free time and added some curtains. Shoot, forgot to use Dytecture's painted walls!
December 29, 2012 at 3:29PM     
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
I would go simpler and more contemporary on the drapery treatment... lighter on the rods and not do the high tie-backs... I owuld look to echo the architectural lines of the fireplace with a straighter treatment
December 29, 2012 at 3:38PM   
tennisanyone
Agree with Peggy
December 29, 2012 at 4:19PM   
fabia
There is a lot of peach, lets loose it. Dytecture has a great color for you. What is the exposure in that room? Keep this is mind when choosing color. The Windows, I like Wooden slats.White. California shutters. Your sofa is leather, and leans to the contemporary. If it isn't necessary to cover windows then don,t. Keep it simple. You could alwys place white wooden shutters on bottom of windows if privacy is needed. The small picture to the right of the window in the right photo, must go. Too small for that wall. The occasional table to right of window lets move to another oom. Actually get rid of both tables near fireplace. I would not do the chair rail. But paint all wall the same color, being the one Dytecture suggested. I see where you are going, lets just edit to get there.

You have a large wall, so please use it by adding a large piece of art. This could be a poster, or painting or photo. You can order a lot of posters on line from many Large Art Galleries. Don't do the matchy matchy thing with art. Modigliani, is a fantastic artist you might like. Find a piece that you will love and will be the show stopper to your home.
PS. save your plant, it needs some TLC.

Let me know how you come along. F.
December 29, 2012 at 4:41PM   
cvoicu64
Thank you so much for all your thoughts and effort to help me. I guess it was so obvious what is missing to this room and what needs to be changed. Almost everybody gave me very similar advise with little variation and more or less detail. I really like all your ideas and I am very excited now to make some changes to this room.
December 29, 2012 at 5:18PM   
cohoek
Hi, I would free your fireplace to make it the focal point of the room. Its beautiful. The mantle should be lower and painted a gray from the stones. Th art work above it would look great on the empty wall to the left, I would locate the 2 chairs next to the fireplace and the tables on the other side. And move the 2 small frames to somewhere else. The fireplace needs more visual room. You might want to place the 2 red plants together to create a red bomb somewhere.
December 29, 2012 at 5:19PM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Good luck! Let us know how you made out!
December 29, 2012 at 5:52PM   
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Agree with others who suggest removing side tables on either side of fireplace. I like Dytecture's color suggestion. Consider Northhampton Putty by Benjamin Moore for that earthy green.
December 29, 2012 at 5:54PM     
kellis1977
I believe you should remove the side tables (replace the coffee table) and change the wall color. Another suggestion would be more updated window treatments. Good luck!
December 29, 2012 at 6:19PM   
decoenthusiaste
Sherwin Williams 6342 Spicy Hue might look good under the chair rail.

December 29, 2012 at 6:35PM     
Dani Pollard
Agree re reprinting walls. Agree re simple white curtains. Also I think you need to add some sort of big beautiful lighting that will accentuate the amazing height of your ceilings. Good luck and Be Bold!
December 30, 2012 at 2:07AM     
amcox_us
Great advice! Peggy and Dytecture, how or what software did you use to make your additions and changes? I'm getting a new home and will be starting from scratch.

Beautiful room!
December 30, 2012 at 5:47AM   
minhas
You don't need the two side tables near the fire place. The room is very nice
December 30, 2012 at 6:03AM   
jwilcox17
Paint the walls the same color as the sectional. Your draperies, maybe something with a nice texture, should be the same color as the walls, but use beautiful fringe treatment on them. Can you remove the ottoman/chaise from the sectional? It makes the coffee table look like it is just squeezed into the space.
December 30, 2012 at 6:18AM   
andrealicata
Does anyone else agree that the coffee table seems a bit too large for the amount of space between the sofa and the chaise?
December 30, 2012 at 6:36AM   
jwilcox17
I think the problem is the chaise. It cramps the space for the coffee table. The room needs a round coffee table and if you can, separate the chaise from the sectional. Move the chaise over to where that little formal chair sits in the corner.
December 30, 2012 at 8:19AM