powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color cabinets to update Baltic Brown granite?
Gail Kacich
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I can't afford to change the granite or tile in my master bathroom, so I'm thinking of painting or re-staining the dated oak cabinets.

Suggestions? Not sure whether to go lighter or darker.

I'll attach a photo of the bath, as well as a close-up of the Baltic Brown as seen in another room.

Thanks! I love this site.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Gail Kacich
Here's a photo of the master before we moved in. I plan to add brushed nickel hardware to the cabinets and update the light fixtures. The accent colors (bathmats / towels) will be light aqua and sand.
December 29, 2012 at 1:22pm   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Lighter! Pick a colour inside the tiles and go with it! There is too much orange in the cabinets as they are...which is what is throwing off the room. Darker would give a "black hole" under your mirrors!
December 29, 2012 at 1:32pm     
cavecay
You have a nice large bathroom. You can paint the cabinets white to match the doors and add your hardware. Also, consider replacing the mirrored frame with a wide wood frame and paint it white to tie it all together. Finish it out with white bath mats and white towels. I've seen white towels with an aqua or sand boarder, etc. Restoration Hardware.
December 29, 2012 at 1:46pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
There is a taupe in the tile that could look great on the cabinets. It looks to me like Sherwin-Williams SW6099 Sand Dollar might work. But you know how reliable color rendition is on computer screens, so I suggest you go to the paint store and pick up a bunch of paint chips in the colors you THINK are in the tile. Then, compare them to the actual tile. I would like you to emphasize the taupey tones and not the more golden ones. I'd narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 and then paint big samples of those colors on poster boards. Look at them in the daylight and at night and determine which you prefer.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
December 29, 2012 at 1:56pm     
drnd
With the earth tone tile, think of a southwestern look. Lighter cabinets would be an improvement, but I wouldn't go with white b/c it is so unforgiving of fingerprints and dust. Natural oak is pretty but it may be kind blah with all that tile. Would you consider " distressing" or faux painting, or streaking with blue The turquoise sounds like it would do well with that.
December 29, 2012 at 2:01pm     
More Discussions
Bathroom Mirror
I am up in the air about rather to have separate mirrors...
Great imagination needed for my family room
We just moved to a new house, my giant brown sectional...
Renovating a suite!
We have just bought a house in Vancouver which includes...
how to paint white doors?
Hello! I want to know which is the best paint or technique...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.