powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen floor (marmoleum) color(s)??? Help!
einportlandor
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Vintage house, small kitchen, cream shaker cabinets, charcoal gray quartz countertops, neutral tile backsplash, marmoleum on floors. Considering using tiles (not click) and doing some sort of pattern but can't decide if I should do primarily dark tiles (dark bistro) with light accents (calico and/or shell) or the other way around. I'm going for a vintage cafe look and feel. Designers?????
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think a checkerboard floor would be gorgeous. It doesn't necessarily have to be black and white. It can be cream and charcoal... Laundry room Oz Architects
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:42PM
einportlandor
Thanks, Cynthia I'm considering the traditional checkerboard but also thinking of something a little different, either a border around the perimeter or (in my dreams) a "rug" in the dining area. Thus the dark vs. light for the primary ground. Any other thoughts? I lean towards dark but am afraid it will make the room appear smaller.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:34PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Hmm, just thinking about this. I do admire bordered floors, but you have to be careful that the entire border (or virtually all of it) is visible or I find it disturbing. An all-over pattern is going to be more forgiving. I should also have mentioned that you don't even need to go for a high-contrast variation of checkerboard. I've seen two-toned checkerboard too where the difference is very subtle, either in colour or in texture only. However, I personally am mad about checkerboard and I collect pictures whenever I see them. I actually prefer a smaller scale checkerboard, more like the one in the green kitchen above, because I like a denser pattern.

Choosing flooring takes a lot of thought and imagination. I wish you the best of luck in nailing down just what it is that will make your heart sing when it's finally completed. Cheers!

Cynthia
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:51AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
On this one I again agree with Cynthia.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:56AM
More Discussions
Design Direction help needed!
Hello! We recently purchased this house on a lake,...
Need Help With Mom's Kitchen to Sell Her House
We need to sell Mom's house. We have a limited amount...
How should I improve this curb appeal?
When I bought this house, it was so overgrown that...
Window Treatment Time
Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to...
Almost finished with remodel of bathroom; problem with rough edges
Had a plumber/tile pro install tile shower pan, subway...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.