powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tub decision big(ger), small, or claw foot? help needed!
crowinghen
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have gutted out the bathroom in our beach house;
It is a narrow-ish space, the only bathroom in our 1940-50's built house. The dimensions of the bath are around 74 inches wide, 10 foot 6 inches long.

Our plan is to put a tub/shower on the far wall , under the window.
The tub that was installed is a very large vintage tub- about 67 inches long, 32 inches wide. It is in decent condition,
We could also go with a smaller vintage tub here is one that is available, it is just under 4 foot long- we could have room on one end for built in cabinets or shelves similar to the picture.
Or we could do a clawfoot tub with a shower curtain hoop. This would be easier tham having an integrated window in the shower tub area- but I don't care much for shower curtains touching me.
But it is just a vacation home for now, so not a huge deal.
I've also attached a picture of our vanity so you can see what style I'm going.
Hubby wants just a shower, but I feel like we should have a tub too, since it's the only bath and we may not keep it forever- or perhaps we will keep it forever and have grandkids :)

thanks in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crowinghen
I guess all my pics didn't show up-- these pics are of what we're working with-- the tub in the bath would be rotated 90 degrees and be against the wall, where the heater currently is.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 2:44PM
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 2:50PM
crowinghen
vs
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 2:50PM
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 2:51PM
PRO
Linda
Claw foot tubs are a pain to get in and out of when you want to use the shower. Four foot tubs are great for kids, but not much room for adults to relax, and what's the point of taking a bath if not to relax? Regardless of which tub you choose, I recommend filling in all the way around the tub with insulation. It helps keep the water warm and the noise level down.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:57PM
Jen Visser
I agree with you to keep the tub if you can. I've lived without one and regretted it. And a comfortable tub is more valuable to me than a small one - you can almost always find cute ways to do bathroom storage but cold knees during a bath are no fun.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 4:16PM
crowinghen
Thank you Very valid points!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 4:35PM
PRO
BMF CONSTRUCTION
I highly recommend keeping a tub. Since you have adequate width to the room, the existing tub would work and it is larger than standard. If the window is a concern, you can raise it by installing a clearstory window across the top (perhaps a 4'x2'). After the tub is in, you will probably have just a small space at the end of that wall for some shelves, or build out both ends of the wall (photo) to make the tub fit neatly.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 5:04PM
crowinghen
LOVE THAT! We are tossing around getting a new standard tub-- maybe that's the best of all worlds- then we can have a nice glass enclosure like the one BMF pictured!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 5:07PM