Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Upholstering Dining Room Chairs
amcox_us
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am redecorating my dining room. Is it possible to upholster a chair similar to chair #1 to look similar to chair #2 and not like chair #3? Will it be more cost effective to purchase new chairs?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to upholster chair 1 to look like chair 2. Even if your upholsterer has a solution (which I can't imagine) it's going to be expensive to pay for labour and materials. You're best advised to sell these and start fresh.
3 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:11PM
amcox_us
Thanks! That is the answer that I was afraid of getting, but it doesn't surprise me.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 3:14PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
If budget is an issue, and you're just looking to get away from the late '80's when Queen Anne was in high style, your chair could look new in a bold or metallic paint. But if you're set on the nailhead trim, put your chairs up for sale and shop around. Perhaps there's something similar out there to which you could add nailheads...
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 4:38PM
amcox_us
Budget isn't an issue. I was hoping that I could get what I have reupholstered. That doesn't seem realistic. I just love the chairs with the fabric. Oh we'll, off I go. Thanks to you both.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:58PM
Bonnie
Here is a possibility for updating the look of chair #1... a coat of fresh paint in white or even black. Then for your end host chairs pick an upholstered look that you like.

1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 9:46PM
Bonnie
Another idea... Mix it up

1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 9:53PM
amcox_us
Great! Thanks!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:07PM
Jimena Campos
I am no expert here but you can do a covering for the chairs so they look like chair #3. They are patterns to do this, not so difficult. If you or someone you know is good with a sewing machine you can cover them with a nice fabric that goes with what you have. Will see if I can find a picture of what I am talking about and post it for you. This allows you to change the look of chairs in a moment.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 10:44PM
amcox_us
The problem is that I don't want what I've seen in the past of chair #3. It gas too much a the slipcover look.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:50AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The cost of new chairs are varied. There are so many nice at the lower end. Sell those on Craigs list and buy something you like. It will simplify your life.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 5:55AM
amcox_us
Thanks! I don't need the headaches with the chairs. I have to furnish a 3-story home.. I have no solide ideas of how.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:58AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes, amcox_us, slipcovering is the only way to change the style of your chairs. My best advice for choosing new chairs is to check the construction of them and sit on them to see how comfortable they are. If you like to have dinner parties and people tend to linger at the table, talking afterwards, you'd be very happy with a dining chair with a sprung seat. It's the height of luxury, and such an upgrade from a drop-in seat such as you have already. Check the scale of the new chair too, because if you are trying to fit a certain number of people around a table, a generously proportioned chair could be a problem.

How fortunate you are to have a nice new home. I completely understand how overwhelming it must be to have to do room plans and source all the furnishings so you'll get the result you hope for. You are in an ideal position, at this point, to bring in an interior decorator for guidance and assistance. We do this all the time, so we know what's good quality and what's current and what's going to give you satisfaction for years. We have our sources and experience in bringing everything together. You could do your homework first by creating Ideabooks on houzz to show your pro what appeals to you.

After I went to school to get my professional designation, I still had to spend years building up experience in sourcing fabrics and furnishings and lighting and window coverings and etc. etc. This is the benefit my clients enjoy when they work with me--I make everything very easy for them. I handle all the orders, occasional complications and substitutions, deliveries and installations so they don't have to worry about it. No sooner do we finish one project, than they look around the house to figure out what area we can address next! You can have a very positive relationship with your decorator if you work with one who understands your tastes and priorities.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 6:38AM
Sara Parker
You can very easily recover just the seats of your chairs to match new (end) armchairs in the style you want.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Sound problems
Have kit/fam rom with wood/tile. Lots of sound vibration,...
Color scheme and furniture for living room
I am unable to decide on the color scheme for my living...
Staircase ceiling light ideas
I'd like to replace the bare lightbulb with a light...
Need help to fill this empty space!
I need to fill this space as it just seems too empty...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.