Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help making a large bookcase NOT LOOK like a mishmash of items
dinykohl
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Love the bookcases and love to have the books accessible but don't like just books. What can I do to create a theme or unifying element here?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennisanyone
Try laying some of the the books horizontal with a frame next or on top of the books to start. You can even leave a shelf or two with nothing or one decorative item. There is a website on how to arrange bookshelves.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 3:21PM
carolannr
I think you will find if you lay some of books on their sides with art objects, some upright, and add maybe some boxes. It does look like its slightly colored in the back of the spaces? If so, that paint could be darker to compensate for all the color in the upholstery in the room. As it is now, you notice the mismix of books because it is overpowered by the rest of the colors in the room.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 3:24PM
PRO
BK Classic Collections Home Stagers
Try grouping some of your books by colors. Then alternate laying some down as already suggested. Then use your objects of similar colors, like the red urn, red vase etc and place them at similar levels on each shelf, creating symmetry with the color. Just a hint...with a light colored background, your eye automatically focuses on the darkest objects. So, when contrasting colors, symmetry will play less havoc with your eyes and a more peaceful surrounding. Good luck!
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:45PM
houssaon
First I would allign the shelves at the same level side by side. Having them staggered, adds to the discord. Add some paintings and art objects.

Here are some attractive bookcases: Home Library (I also like this unit's medium grey back), Hillgrove Project and Art - A Good Read?.
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:50PM
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I agree with the other suggestions. Laying a few flat with a framed photo is a great idea. I would start by arranging the shelves symmetrically. The outside shelved should line up and the inside shelves should line up. Grouping some books by height and dividing them in half with each half on an outside shelf, then the interior shelves could have art objects, photos or urns Making each shelf have a relationship to the others is tricky but. making a visual display of photos and books and sculptures and art objects adds so much warmth to a room. I love it........good luck.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 3:55PM
houssaon
One other thing. I like the pitcher with the print on the center cabinet, but not the other objects. I would take the candlesticks and the other things off. If you have a low bowl or low basket, you can add that to the left of the picture.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 3:56PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Can some shelves be removed? I think the bookcase to the right appears to have more shelves than the other side. Symmetry would help with acquiring a "cleaner" look. I agree with the above comment about laying some books horizontally too! Good luck....
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:03PM
PRO
LM Designers
Looks good to me as is but the ideas given will organize it a little better.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:17PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree, that both outer sections should match and the 2 inner sections should match in shelf heights. Consider mirroring the back wall of the shelves as well as behind the armoire, also remove "stuff" from the top of the armoire. Mirrors adds light, shine and interest. Plan B, paint all the walls (including behind shelves) something like BM 2106-60 Soft Sand and paint the ceiling BM 2106-70 Foggy Morning. Remove your window valance and install simple stationary panels (93/94" long)off the side of the window(s) on wall, hung on a simple iron rod at the ceiling, maybe a color of the ceiling. This will add softness to oppose all the hard lines of the shelves. What you put on the shelves and how arranged will happen if you do the above. I believe you will "see" it. Would love to see finished product. Best of luck to you.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:45PM
cohoek
Hi, I would put one more shelf in every bookcase and groep books of the same size together, you have alot of empty room above books. Empty shelfs are fine with something simple like you've already done. I don't think I would put the "empty" shelfs at the top though, you can hardly see whats in them. Nice friendly room, nice colors!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 4:46PM
dinykohl
I am so grateful for all the good suggestions here! I know several things I will changing tomorrow now that I have some inspiration! Thanks!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:28PM