Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint problem
ewinebarger
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am painting my bedroom a dark purple as my Christmas present BUT am having major issues getting the walls to look right. I am using Berh Ultra flat enamel but still get what looks like roller lines (not the thin things from the edge of the roller but more like I can see where the roller has been and in which direction while applying. I have repainted the wall that's behind the TV twice and I can still see roller lines.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm getting ready to slap on another coat but don't see that fixing my problem.

I have pictures of several areas showing the off sheen look that I'm trying to get rid of.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aja Mazin
My monitor must be way off because I am not seeing anything close to a dark purple
December 29, 2012 at 4:01PM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Unfortunately I think it's your paint. Especially with flat paint and even more especially with purple, it's important to have a top quality paint. Pigments are the expensive components that go into making the paint, and you just can't skimp on those and get good results when you put the paint on the wall. Try a gallon of Benjamin Moore's Aura paint and you'll see the difference. Your existing paint will be fine as a primer layer underneath the final coat.
December 29, 2012 at 4:03PM   
ewinebarger
I know. It looks brown in the picture but I promise it is a black plum.
December 29, 2012 at 4:04PM   
beattieboggs
Hi, you said you are using enamel paint? What type of base is it?
December 29, 2012 at 4:11PM   
Aja Mazin
Actually greenish - brown.

I think black plum will be fantastic once you solve the mystery!
December 29, 2012 at 4:11PM   
ewinebarger
It's Behr Premium Plus Ultra interior flat enamel. Hubby read review on it. Does anyone else have this issue? I almost wonder if hubby (aka wall roller) isn't using enough paint. We have this issue with every paint we use.
December 29, 2012 at 4:16PM   
beattieboggs
Ok, found out it is acrylic, soap and water lean up. Was worried for a minute!
I agree with Cynthia. You would be better off with a quality paint and as she said, use the other as a primer.
December 29, 2012 at 4:17PM     
Aja Mazin
Top Rated Product

PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® Interior Flat Enamel

BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® Flat Enamel is a 100% acrylic paint and primer in one with advanced stain-blocking formula that will change the way you paint. This exciting product, featuring NANOGUARD® technology, forms an extra-protective shell that offers outstanding stain, scuff, mar and mildew resistance and an easy-to-clean, STAYS LOOKING NEW LONGER® finish with superior stain removal. This sophisticated color palette delivers exceptional hide and maximum moisture resistance.

Some reviews posted may have entitled the reviewer to an entry in a random sweepstakes drawing.

Average Customer Rating:
4.7 out of 5
Rating Snapshot (212 reviews)
5 bears184
4 bears17
3 bears1
2 bears2
1 bear8
199 out of 212(94%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.

Apparently, it is a top rated paint!

Does the color on the wall match the paint "chip"?
December 29, 2012 at 4:52PM   
PRO
Linda
What size roller sleeve was used? Are you painting from a bucket with a bucket screen and paint pole? That Behr paint tends to be thick; if you're having too much trouble with it, try thinning it a bit with water and stirring well.

Don't paint the wall again until you sand it. Get a pole sander and knock down as much of those lines as you can. Otherwise, they will continue to "telegraph" right through each additional coat
December 29, 2012 at 5:04PM   
beattieboggs
Ah, what would products be without the hype? I used some Behr paint once in a bedroom and within two years the color had faded. Never again.

As Aja has asked, does the paint match the chip?
December 29, 2012 at 5:05PM   
Aja Mazin
There are a ton of complaints on BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA® Eggshell.

Some sound similar to your problem.
December 29, 2012 at 5:17PM   
beattieboggs
Wow. Definitely sounds like the same problem. Did you read that one person"fixed" it by doing a faux finish?
December 29, 2012 at 5:31PM     
Aja Mazin
WOW!

"If you go ahead and purchase it anyway, plan on getting lots-and-lots of it because the paint (cough!) has no hiding ability at all; and get plenty of sand paper because it goes on like wet dirt so you will have to sand between every coat; and get plenty of paint stripper because you will have to make a decision whether to kill yourself by continuing with the work or get even with the paint by completely removing it.

Oh, and while you are at it, sent a nasty note to both Consumer Reports and Behr."
http://fabulousfinishes.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/behr-premium-plus-ultra-paint-ultra-sucks/

RETURN IT !
December 29, 2012 at 5:38PM     
Kristin Limon
Behr brand paint is on the bottom of the list of paints I'll use. I also recommend switching to even BEN by Benjamin Moore. I work in a paint department and while its the bottom of the Benjamin Moore line it works much better than any Behr brand paint I've used.
December 29, 2012 at 5:45PM     
Aja Mazin
beattieboggs,

I particularly enjoyed:

" HATE working with Behr paint. I’d rather pluck my eyebrows out with hot fireplace tools. "
December 29, 2012 at 5:48PM     
beattieboggs
Aja, ouch. What a recommendation. Lol
December 29, 2012 at 6:06PM     
beattieboggs
Ewinebarger, if I were you I think I would return the paint and ask for a refund.

Try a different brand to finish the job?

If you want an interesting read, just look at those comments on the site that Aja posted. It might give you something to laugh about after you are done w ith your painting work.
December 29, 2012 at 6:21PM     
lizharen1916
Always use Benjamin Moore paint, it's so worth it. BIG difference in quality, you wouldn't think it would matter, but it really does.
December 29, 2012 at 6:43PM     
kafka65
totally agree that the problem is BEHR. I was going from egg white to pure white and it still took two coats! Painting my daughter's bedroom wall I had the same problem you describe - you could see the direction of the roller. It got better after 2 coats, but that's when I switched to Benjamin Moore Regal Premium. Was ca 70% more expensive per gallon, but was shocked to discover I only needed one gallon to pain my living room, while I'd used 3 gallons of BEHR on my slightly smaller bedroom - so in reality BM was a lot cheaper.

Thanks Aja for the suggestion to complain to Consumer Reports - they were the reason I went for BEHR in the first place, and it really doesn't make sense! Time to complain. ;-)
December 29, 2012 at 6:56PM     
Kristin Limon
I just realized I used the Behr in my bedroom and the troubles I had. I'm just taking a break and some Aura (BM) is going up on those walls
December 29, 2012 at 7:26PM