Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Linda
lgiglio
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am having a hard time trying to decide on a backsplash. My counters are dark and my cabinets are cherry and finally floor and paint are light colored. Can I go with a dark back splash or should I go light?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cohoek
You might want to try brushed aluminum panels or glas..
December 29, 2012 at 5:25pm   
lgiglio
What color scheme? We looked at the glass Mosaic tiles today but still unsure of going dark or light
December 29, 2012 at 5:26pm     
PRO
DJD FRAMES TO FINISH
something shinny if for no other reason than easy cleaning,copper,stainless steel...
December 29, 2012 at 5:39pm   
aprilcj
Go with the coloring tones of your floors
December 29, 2012 at 5:47pm     
PRO
The Finishing Touch Decorating Inc.
What other colors are in the room off the kitchen? I would get a glass tile in 1" x 2" . They come in sheets in a color palette that you select. Your granite looks dark too. So go with a lighter selection.
Do you have greens in your home or blues? You can use a sheet with one of those colors. If neutral then do a mix of creams and mocha. You need some pop!
December 30, 2012 at 5:07am     
greenthumb2
search on houzz for a similar kitchen style where the owners/designers have placed varying kinds and colors of backsplashes together. also, you may consider taking a few more pictures where you actually stand at the sink, and then near the stove/counter. these additional pictures will help you decide what you eyes like. the white window casng/frame is one of the distractions and this in itself should be considered in your choice. enjoy the process and best of luck. take some samples home and stack them up one at a time, stand back a little and take pics.
December 30, 2012 at 6:50am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Use glass tiles and mix the colors using mostly light but bring in the counter top color as well as the stainless steel from the appliances.
December 30, 2012 at 6:58am     
kitasei
I think the choice of color of the backsplash depends on whether you want thesmall appliances and other items on the counter to stand out or disappear.
December 30, 2012 at 7:28am   
doreenflys
It needs some color, go with mosaic glass
December 30, 2012 at 7:51am   
belchy123
We had very similar colors to start with. I put up a cool blue(ish) glass tile to contrast the warm color scheme of the rest of my house. I do everything myself, so the cost is minimal for a small backsplash job.
December 30, 2012 at 9:44am     
belchy123
Here's the "real" before and after.
December 30, 2012 at 9:48am     
dorphil
Consider colored glass. Also traditional subway tiles would look nice. I would go light
December 30, 2012 at 9:52am   
PRO
La Maison Chic
I would try with a glass tile as well, mosiac perhaps and take the floor color and cabinet color and add a color from your home for a splash of color. You can even mix in a glass tile and a stainless steel tile for an added drama that gives some shine and goes with the appliances
December 30, 2012 at 10:00am     
designs40
I'd go with this idea I'm attaching a pic with...it would keep it bright while adding the dark components. I've seen this in a dark kitchen and it looks amazing! It comes from Costco too.
December 30, 2012 at 10:19am     
rwagenaar
some tiles to consider
December 30, 2012 at 10:33am     
rwagenaar
more
December 30, 2012 at 10:34am     
rwagenaar
and some more
And because the counter top continues up the wall a bit I suggest bringing some samples home and see how you like it - I suspect a monotone colour similar to the counter will work best. Grout colour will also have influence on the required effect. I have bought 1 or 2 sheets before for the purpose of a sample with the grout. I have seen many wrong choices and combinations. Good Luck!
December 30, 2012 at 10:42am     
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Your cherry cabinets will get darker as they age. My suggestion is to pick a mosaic that is predominately lighter with some darker attributes to tie everything together.
December 30, 2012 at 10:53am     
PRO
Carol Maryott
I was recently challenged with the same decision-I found prefabricated absolute granite for the counters (less expensive than slab) and the fabrication was very good. The choice was between a full matching black backsplash going around a small window and having 2 window sills with a bullnose edge matching the countertop edge OR using white subway tile. It was a tough choice for many reason - also the new Lutron devices had to be either black or white. I would not have been able to get the full bullose window sills with tile or stone. I ended up putting in a round skylight in the area betwen the counters and the island and xenon lights under all the cabinets, Although I do miss the light white tile backsplash I previously had, this is a very clean look and everything looks great against the black. Without the skylight it would have been very dark but with the windows, skylight and under cabinet lights , I l think I made the right decision. I also did not have a tile installar as available as the fabricators. It is important to have skilled granite fabricators doing the work.Lighting should definitely play a role in making your decision.
December 30, 2012 at 1:02pm   
PRO
Carol Maryott
.. I have the same range and microwanve set up as you do. The horizontal strip of black looks perfect between the stove and microwave.
December 30, 2012 at 1:05pm   
kroderick
rwagenaar: Do you know who the manufacturer is of the mercury glass looking tiles you had recommended?
December 30, 2012 at 3:55pm   
bossybigsis
We have dark wood cabinets and stainless steel appliance - we installed stainless steel backspash (subway looking tiles) that we purchased from overstock.com. great quality, excellent price

costco has this wonderful class mosiac tiles they carry in store (every store carries different ones i believe), the ones in San Francisco had white/clear ones, and white/marble ones, SUPER good quality and SUPER reasonable price, i wish i knew about costco's in store/in stock home items before i did my other renovation.
December 30, 2012 at 9:58pm   
PRO
Urban Safari Design Inc.
Definitely do a glass tile back splash for the reflectivity, but it might be nice to bring in stone as well. They have some very lovely glass with stone mixed-in tile out there that would complement your floors as well as bringing in some of the "bling" that your kitchen could use against those dark cabinets.
December 31, 2012 at 5:15am   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
heloo

go for mix match.. light and color mix tiles

regards
December 31, 2012 at 5:28am   
rwagenaar
@kroderick; decorating-trends.com are featuring them if you mean these
December 31, 2012 at 11:09am     
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
I like a lot of the tile selections above,but if you are going to do a dramatic backsplash glass or mosaic you should remove the 3" backsplash on the back of the existing top, if you can, and tile down to the countertop. It looks more finished.
December 31, 2012 at 3:51pm     
rwagenaar
Agree with Main Line Kitchen Design; I would remove the 3" back splash as well - it looks less squashed and more custom.
January 1, 2013 at 9:45am   
susanmitch
Your cabinets are so red and the wall and floor color is so neutral. You need an accent color to make the room more interesting. I would go with the glass tiles in green or blue mixed with gray if that counter top is gray. I think you may want to rethink the floor color. It would look fantastic in a dark gray.
January 1, 2013 at 12:19pm   
pepperini
My husband and I have slightly darker cabinetry and our granite counter tops are darker and marblle like, not speckled like yours appear to be. My husband cut cream stonelike tiles with a slightly rough finish into subway-like tiles (very time consuming, but he enjoyed the project) We liked the dramatic contrast of the cream without distracting attention from the rich look of the deep coloured cupboards and ebony countertops. We did spend more money on them and the backsplash is an accent not a main focus. You have beautiful stools/chairs, open shelves at the end of your cupboards, open cupboard over your fridge and it appears that you actually use your countertop. You may appear too busy if you draw attention to a bold backsplash.
January 2, 2013 at 1:38am   
regik
Use mirror. I suggested it in another discussion recently. Easy to clean, cheaper and will bring light into your kitchen.
January 2, 2013 at 11:22am   
sharleeg
I would consider a glass tile that has both the beigey warm color and the gray in it. There are many to consider that feature that look. Keep it neutral and add color with a rug perhaps and in your accessories, towels, placemats, valance, covers on barstools. Best of luck!
January 2, 2013 at 11:30am   
123eddie
I'm a glass artist. There's a glass called 'Van Gogh' glass which comes in small tiles. You can also get it in sheets for the purpose you are looking for. It will have a metallic appearance which will pick up that chrome you have around the kitchen. Select a shade you like, you REALLY like. It will strike you the moment you see it. That's the color scheme you should go with on that backsplash.
January 2, 2013 at 12:45pm   
caricampbell
Personally I would go with a gray backsplash that around the same shade of darkness as your countertops. A mosiac with stainless steel will work, but there are tons of options with gray mixed in. I do think different flooring would really help pull the colors of your kitchen together. I agree with the comment that a floor that is a darker gray would be absolutely lovely. You could also do a dark gray window treatment, perhaps a roman shade? Don't be afraid to go dark, provided you have ample light.
January 2, 2013 at 1:19pm   
PRO
cruz interiors inc
Hello, You have a great start to your kitchen with beautiful cabinetry and a nice neutral tile. Perhaps something like this would be good for your kitchen? it adds just enough character without being overwhelming. Would balance nicely with the warm rich tones in the cabinets but simultaneously have enough clarity to balance the dark finish of the counter tops. http://www.glasstilestore.com/collection/glass-tiles/tao-glass-1.html
January 2, 2013 at 1:39pm   
Laurie
rwagenaar-Can you tell me where the top right tile in your last tile posts is from? Thank you
January 2, 2013 at 2:16pm   
PRO
Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
@aswedishelf - I tried to duplicate the search that found these tiles, but couldn't
Daltile offers a similar product called Tiger Eye Sumatran TE 28 - hope this helps.
Or you can google images for back splashes.
I am rwagenaar - got a second account in error.
Rinske
January 3, 2013 at 8:19am   
caricampbell
@aswedishelf- i believe that is Ragno Catwalk in Olive Oxfords. If you google "ragno catwalk olive oxfords" it will show up at various places.
January 3, 2013 at 8:37am     
Laurie
Thank you so much. :)
January 3, 2013 at 8:52am   
PRO
Should You Sell Or Should You Stay
Thanks cariampbell - that's the ones.
January 3, 2013 at 2:30pm   
caricampbell
You're welcome. I love that tile!
January 3, 2013 at 2:33pm   
norma034
Living room fire place I don't know how to dress it up. Picture on the wall?
January 3, 2013 at 5:55pm