Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New look for my living room
Kelly Burke
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am stripping wall paper from my dining/living room and would like some ideas on paint/design to give it a new modern look. Also I would like to 'seperate' the 2 rooms, as it is just one very long room right now, any ideas are much appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Nice house. Probably too much clutter and furniture. I would treat the rooms with the same colors. I think the sofa is separating the rooms just fine & you do not need different colors or more separation of rooms. I'd choose white trim - you have that already + a very light off-white for walls. Here's an article on how to choose paint 4 walls: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

Here is a link to a room makeover that has a red sofa like yours. I think you could use their room for inspiration for your living room for area rug choices, pillow and curtain choices, etc. At the bottom of the article is a link to a video of the transformation of the room. http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2012/10/more-budget-saving-tips-from-necn-room-makeover/
December 30, 2012 at 9:48AM   
decoenthusiaste
Treat your makeover like a move and you'll be a happy camper! Box everything you can into boxes labeled "I don't need this," "Warm Season," "Cool Season." Give the "don't need" boxes to Goodwill or such, store the out of season boxs and put the current season boxs aside. Pick your paint from suggestions Houzzers will provide. I'm sure they'll say to paint both areas the same color because it is just one large space. You can use the items for the current season when you put your room back together based on the suggestions you receive. Bet you'll have only 1/3 of your stuff in the room and you'll be able to breathe!
December 30, 2012 at 10:15AM     
decoenthusiaste
Forgot to post a paint idea - Sherwin Williams Sawdust - will work nicely with your red sofas.

December 30, 2012 at 10:19AM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
I would paint the dining area a shade lighter than the living room and the window wall a deeper color to pop it. If you want to go neutral colors a soft gray would be nice with a darker more intense gray in the living room wall. Color will definitely define the spaces more and break up the long rectangle space. Rectangles are the hardest to decorate! Your artwork needs to be much larger or group all smaller pieces together to make a bigger wall impression . Good luck it will be great!
December 30, 2012 at 10:28AM