Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Unique color rug..
Marina Womack
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am planning to put this rug in the living room in our new house. This is kind of a unique color silk rug. What color furniture would work with it. I don't want anything too light, because I have kids and it needs to be practical. I am looking at leather.. Also I made sage green drapes to go in the same room and they look pretty good. Can't decide on the furniture.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
Absolutely gorgeous rug - what a treasure! I think a rich cognac leather would look great with this rug and the sage curtains. I think you need something stately to pair with this rug. How do you feel about the chesterfields?

4 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:26PM
Manon Floreat
Judyg, you make a good point. Silk and little ones don't often make for a happy pairing! But, if this is going to be in a formal living room, I think it will be okay. Maybe not so much for the family room.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 6:29PM
Marina Womack
I was thinking about chesterfield sofa. Thank you.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 6:32PM
Manon Floreat
You're welcome! Out of curiosity what color is the base of the rug? It looks like a rosie terracotta? Just gorgeous.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:45PM
decoenthusiaste
Classic mahogany furniture would do justice to this beauty!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:56PM
decoenthusiaste
Classic mahogany furniture would do justice to this beauty!
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:00PM
houssaon
I agree with Judyg about a silk rug in an area with kids. Hopefully it's a formal room used mostly for guests. I can see why sage would go with the red tone, but I don't see any sage in the rug. I see blue, brown and cream. I've always love brown and red together.

How about a dramatic wall color to spotlight the rug? Look at: Pine Cone 2106-30 Benjamin Moore, Riding Boots CSP-300 Paint or Benjamin Moore Middlebury Brown HC-68.

I would add tan colored chairs to go with the Chesterfield sofa. Something along this line: Great Neighborhood Homes 1 or Great Neighborhood Homes 2. Lots of bright colorful artwork.
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 7:25PM
Aja Mazin
A well made silk rug is extremely durable.

I would go with leather - camel back or chesterfield.

I have a camel back leather sofa and 2 matching chairs with carved wood trim.

I chose camel back for the comfort factor.

Leather will last a lifetime.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:35PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
You might want to take a close-up of your rug. From what I can determine in your photo, I'm not seeing leather and I'm not certain that a Chesterfield is your best choice. From what I can "read" it is speaking in a softer demeanor. If it is, then you can keep it from being too soft and feminine but that picture would speak a thousand words!
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 7:46PM
Aja Mazin
karen paul interiors,

My monitor could be deceptive but I am seeing a European Silk Table Carpet , perhaps a Savonnerie or Aubusson.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:32PM
Marina Womack
There are more pictures of my rug here. I hope it will give you better idea. I would also like to accent the bookshelves in my living room with dramatic color to bring up some of the colors in the rug. Any other paint color suggestions? Somebody suggested cranberry color furniture. Do you think it will work?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:57AM
judianna20
Is the sage color the leaf color? So it is grayer rather than greener? How about sage on sage?Bridge Design Studio

I have Mitchell Gold Chesterfield sofas and I love them. I think I am with Karen on this as I don't see Chesterfield or leather, either.

I great substitute for leather is Ultrasuede or Sensuede. It is gorgeous and tough as nails.
Ditte Sofa, Tufted
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 11:41AM
Marina Womack
Those drapes look just like mine. It is dupioni silk sage. I would not paint the whole room sage green, but may be bookshelves only??? Here is a picture of my bookshelves and I don't think this green is going to work with the rug.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:13PM
judianna20
Would consider all the woodwork in the sage?

1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 12:31PM
PRO
karen paul interiors

I'm thinking you may want to consider a color for your wall that is a mid tone that touches on gray, green and blue. This will essentially give you enough pigment for cleaning and will actually act as a neutral against your rug. Then with your upholstery if you want to move in some of the directions as Aja has suggested, that could do well. When doing this, be certain you have one hue that is dominant in the room and accent with others.
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:51PM
Aja Mazin
karen paul interiors,

Excellent choice!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 2:03PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Judy g's Dittie Sofa is a very good look and is close enough to the Chesterfield to make you happy. Also Judy's suggestion regarding ultrasuede is great advice. It does wear like iron. You could have a room full of chimps with opened bananas, and all you have to do is wipe up the mess with water. Gorgeous hand and very low maintenance.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 2:08PM
2dogssashatess
I find chesterfields are not comfortable to sit on, too low so limited back and neck support
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 2:21PM
marymarsh000
I suggest a fabric sofa, not leather and I do not see a chesterfield on that rug. If it is a formal room, regardless of whether or not you have young children, I would do a cream sofa. The kids won't be playing in the formal room. The rug needs to be the focal point. I have two children and had all cream furniture in my formal room, it was no problem because they never went in there.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 2:42PM
Aja Mazin
marymarsh000,

Good for you.

However,

" I don't want anything too light, because I have kids and it needs to be practical. "

~ Marina Womack
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:57PM
Marina Womack
I don't really like blue color, especially light blue. I am wondering if I could do some shade of brown or green or may be like salmon color?? I like traditional style. I'd like the room to look very formal traditional. I agree that blue sofa would have looked really good, but my husband said there is no way we are buying blue furniture. He dislikes it even more than I do. Thank you for all your suggestions.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:33PM
Aja Mazin
In the 2nd comment, Manon Floreat suggested a brown chesterfield.
I agreed and suggested a camel back sofa as a more comfortable alternative.

Brown would go nicely.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:03PM
sharleeg
I love judyg's idea to paint ALL the woodwork sage.That would be stunning... the bookshelves, FP, window casing, etc and let the walls stay a warm beige. Look in Ben Moore's historical collection.The sofa, perhaps the camelback, a warm beige with pillows that pick up the various rug colors. Accent chairs could have more bold colors. Best of luck!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 4:17PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
It's my opinion that when you paint the trim a color it makes for a less formal room, such as with Williamsburg. I actually like the idea of salmon as a lighter version of the rug background color. A modified camel back with fringe is a very nice look. It would be my preference over rose.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:38PM
Marina Womack
Thank you Aja. I am thinking that rose would be better also. All the suggestions are very nice. If I paint the woodwork sage should I paint the wall inside the bookshelves white or sage also? Right now it is dark green and it is different shade from what's in the rug.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:18AM
Marina Womack
Also the art above the fireplace is going to be different. I am planning to hang a painting that has some, pink and blue in it.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:22AM
Aja Mazin
I think I would match the sage in the rug for the bookcase.

I do think rose would work for the sofa!!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:59AM
sharleeg
if you paint the bookcases, you should paint it all, including interior, same color. The sage would be wonderful i feel.Rose would be so beautiful for sofa, I agree !
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:30AM
Aja Mazin
A true rose despite the color distortion:
OLD HICKORY TANNERY "BURBANK" LEATHER SOFA
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:09PM
judianna20
Whatever you choose, Marina, would you consider no skirt on the sofa? It may make your living room look more formal that you have indicated.

0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:35PM
Aja Mazin
The manufacturer has each of these listed as "ROSE"
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 1:27PM
Marina Womack
I love the one in the middle. It is not easy to find smth. like this in local stores. Aja do you know where I can get a similar sofa like the one on your second picture?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:14PM
Marina Womack
Judyg I like the second picture better. I would add some color to these rooms. I like color as long as it all goes together.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:16PM
Marina Womack
No skirt on the sofa I agree. Excellent advice. I can tell it is going to give me a more formal look. Thanks judyg.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:17PM
Aja Mazin
Marina Womack,

Yes.

Is this the one you like?
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:24PM
1890reno
Buy your furniture for comfort....a really good carpet goes with almost everything. Just make sure if you do pick a material (over leather) with a pattern it's not fighting with your carpet. Ie.....don't pick birds. Your paint choice will tie it altogether, so try to make sure you pick it from your carpet. Hope this helps.....
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:57PM
Marina Womack
Aja I love this sofa. Wondering how comfortable it is. Where did you get the picture?
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 8:00AM
Aja Mazin
It is made by Old Hickory Tannery in Hickory, N.C.

THEY WILL MAKE YOU ANY STYLE IN ANY COLOR AND FABRIC AND IT WILL COST LESS THAN BUYING FROM A RETAIL STORE.

Call Toll Free at 866-466-5466

Here is another style I love from Old Hickory Tannery
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:33PM
Aja Mazin
More Old Hickory Tavern available in your choice of fabric and color!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:44PM
Marina Womack
Aja what do you think about Noemi sofa with my rug? It is kind of sage green. Which is going to be better rose or green. My husband, of course, likes the green. I really like the style. If you think that Noemi green is going to work I think I'll get it.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 8:02AM
Aja Mazin
I really like the Noemi sofa in sage!

I think it would be very elegant!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 3:37PM
PRO
Ann Alderson
I'm a big believer in anchoring the major pieces of furniture in neutral colors, like charcoal gray, in a microfiber. Side chairs could be the sage you love, but I'd make the walls creamy white with white or cream trim. In my opinion, painting the trim other than white or cream immediately dates it, ditto with using green or blue or rose sofas. The rug is the star, let it shine! And don't go matchy-matchy with the sofa and chairs and lamps!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 4:13PM
Aja Mazin
Ann Alderson,

Heaven forbid we should go "matchy matchy"!!

0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 5:50PM
rosemeyer
Aja--I normally don't like matchy matchy either but that leather room is gorgeous!!
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:18PM
Aja Mazin
Exactly!

It is personal preference.
There are no universal rules.

I have the family room furnished with a camel back sofa, love seat, and two camel back chairs plus a ottoman - all in leather with carved wood trim.

I have yet to find a Persian rug with which the leather set will not compliment .

And the set will last a lifetime.

Here is our latest rug by husband gave me for Christmas.

It will replace this one for a few months.

0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 6:56PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.