Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need opinions on shower shape/contractor mistake
jimmynichols
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Planned for a 3'L x4'w pan,but contractor had his own ideas! Before we have him change this are there any pros or cons to pan shape? What would look more traditional/transitional?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Margaret Phillips
The dimensions you gave would be bigger. I find bigger is better in a shower personally, providing you have the space for it. For instance on one end of the spectrum a really BIG shower you have less soap and shampoo spatter, and it the shower is much easier to clean with more space. A larger shower is easier on the mind and physically. I'm not a fan of showers where if you drop the soap, you have to contort yourself to pick it up. Of course any shower is wonderful in in a pinch. Some people out there are trying to change their master bath into a separate shower and garden tub variety. They squeeze in a too small shower and they end up unhappy, using a smaller shower on a daily basis. It is all about space and your plan, love to hear more about your project.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:43AM
rwagenaar
I agree with first comment - get it the way you want it even if it is going to cost. You will forget about the money, but you will never forget about a shower that is too small; it will remind you every time you are in it.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:52AM
Elyn's Library
I also agree - go with what YOU want. You are the one that lives there and will be using that shower.

Although this pic is a bit "over the top" with the crystal chandelier ;) - I really like the idea of glass half-walls on the sides of the shower. It makes the small space visually larger -
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:01AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
That angled entry looks dated to me. I'd prefer a rectangular shape with glass to floor where possible.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:08AM
PRO
Dytecture
Angled showers only make sense in tight spaces. What will make it feel dated is the enclosure you use for the shower.

1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 10:33AM
broccoli10
I think you should make the shower more spacious because it kind of looks a little cramped:(
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 10:36AM
jimmynichols
Thank you all..definitely going to act on shower shape.The room is 87"x120" stud to stud.We wanted to use a cabinet we had which is 47" wide,adjacent to shower on the 87" wall.So this limited the pan to 36Lx48w,would have preferred the opposite,but we already set the trap based on the 36 length pan.please any advise would be very helpful.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:26AM