Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help selecting furniture and placement
kellis1977
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need furniture for this room, but I am having trouble determining what pieces to purchase due to the layout (This couch will NOT be in the room.) This living area is 14 W x 22 L (with only 9 feet in the area in front of fireplace). My plan is to purchase something contemporary and clean, as I will be updating the paint and fireplace to much lighter colors. I also would not like to disrupt the view to outdoors, but maybe window treatments? I have attached one view from the foyer and another from the garage door. Please help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I recommend an apartment sized sofa, two chairs, coffee table, end table, sofa table, a low book shelf, two table lamps and a floor lamp. An area rug and art will finish it off.

I'd place the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace and facing the windows with a sofa table behind it. The two chairs before the windows with the end table between them. The low book shelf on the back wall with a table lamp on top of it. Above it a large art piece.

You can choose accessories to work with what ever feel and palette you choose. But I think the furnishings I've mentioned will give you a good base. I'll be interested to here what other Houzzers have to say.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 6:55PM
kellis1977
Thank you. I have moved the couch perpendicular and I believe that will work. Another question, if you don't mind? If you look again at the last picture, you will see the right side of the couch, a doorway to the bedrooms, and a wide open space on the right. I was originally thinking another sitting area...a table on that wall with ottomans underneath and another chair off the side - - but not sure how that would vibe with the sofa table you already recommended behind the couch (they would be so close). Any suggestions?
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 7:26PM
Manon Floreat
What you have in mind may work, although I would opt for a bookcase in that area. The most important thing is that you have a big enough of a walkway between the sofa and whatever you decide to put on the rear wall. No less than three feet - more would be better.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:14PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You really were complete on that answer Manon. I really can't add anything.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:21PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I would eliminate all those wall hung book cases they look top heavy and ominous. Getting rid of them would open up the space and give it the more clean contemporary look you are going for. A single plantation shutter on each window, three tailored roman shades or a pair of curtains would all be good window treatment options. Manon's furniture arrangement sounds good but I would consider a long console on the wall opposite the fireplace with a pair of lamps and mirror or painting above and a pair of ottomans below.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 8:57PM
kellis1977
Thanks everyone! I was informed that this was a furdown (something with AC duct work). I will have to look into pricing for it, as this is an older home. In reference to the long console you mentioned, I'm not sure I would have the 3 feet that is needed for it as there is only 9 feet from there to the fireplace.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 9:32PM
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi K, above ideas are great and I played with another option. Best, D
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 12:21AM
jeannemkoetje
The sectional arrangement INSIDEOUT has suggested is an excellent way to give you the extra space for the small table and chairs you were considering.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:30AM
kellis1977
Wow. I must admit that I never figured that a sectional was an option for my narrow living space. D, thank you for taking time to draw and provide this alternate option, as I can now add this as a possibility.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 5:27AM
kellis1977
Heavy cabinets have been removed. Will be painting in 2 days (Shaker Beige). Any ideas for the fireplace? I like molding and I don't think I just want to paint the brick. Anything else I can do that wont necessarily break the bank? The gold doors are definitely out. Thoughts?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:57PM