Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need kitchen help!
beckylefeld
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to update my kitchen and I am stuck on what to do. We are definitely replacing floor, table, counter tops, bar stools and would like to add a backsplash. The entire house has oak doors and trim, I am stuck on whether or not to paint the cabinets. I love the grays and blues and the light airiness of the white cabinets, but nervous about painting wood because I heard they chip a lot. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
beckylefeld
Here is another photo
December 29, 2012 at 8:25pm   
Peg Silverwood
I had my yellow oak cabinets painted an almond soft color...and also had a cabinet maker beef up the crown molding and add bead board to the side and back of the peninsula and Rope trim in a deep coffee color on the crown molding. It turned out beautiful and my painter used a commercial grade Benjamin Moore Exterior paint since I have such a strong sun exposure. They are as beautiful as ever and it has been two years.
December 29, 2012 at 10:13pm   
jeannemkoetje
Painting the cabinets is the most cost effective way to update your kitchen. If you prepare for painting by lightly sanding and priming they will last and look beautiful. Change the knobs and pulls to a stylish brushed chrome or something you love. I would paint the cabinets white. I would suggest creating some contrast with wood floors. You could also use butcher block for countertops stained a darker color. Butcher block is not as expensive as granite or stone but just as beautiful and easier to install. I love a light blue or gray tone on the walls with white cabinets - the contrast is more suttle but it makes your kitchen look and feel fresh and clean. You could install glass tile or even one inch slate and glass tiles for your back splash. I tried to attach a picture of a butcher block counter with white cabinets but my iPad will not let me. Google butcher block counters and you will see how beautiful they are.
December 30, 2012 at 1:21am     
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Oak is an open grain wood so if you are looking for a smooth finish, you will need to apply a grain filler before painting. It's not hard to work with but it adds another round of sanding to the mix.
December 30, 2012 at 10:34am   
rwagenaar
Can you remove the peninsula and the uppers above - I would also remove the valance - take it around the corner - remove the cove trim on the sides. Replace the fluorescents in the soffits with potlights. If you can find stock doors in a big building supply store I would replace with ones that have no arches. There are really nice look alike granite countesr out there if you cannot afford granite (which I would not buy unless you get a whole new kitchen) Then fill the grain, sand toroughly - maybe use Bin as a primer and paint them an almost white or any colour you like for that matter. And new hardware. If you are worried about scratches you can use the distressed look.
December 30, 2012 at 11:02am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
When properly prepared and primed you will not have that problem. With that said hire it done by someone who can spray the doors.
December 30, 2012 at 11:07am     
Jayme H.
I am in a similar boat, but my husband is a finishing carpenter and painter. He is going to spray our cabinets/and prep as needed according to paint type used. They use an enamel which holds up very well according to him. I am afraid of the havoc I would create trying to do it myself..If u do it yourself, I would get very informed on prepping and application! Good luck!
December 30, 2012 at 11:12am   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I'm with Interiors International here. It is ALL about the prep work! The "chipping" comes from poor prep. If the original finish is LEFT ON you will get chipping. It's because the two chemicals (original finish/stain + paint) do not like each other and, even when primed, they choose not to hold on to each other.

Find a reputed cabinet maker/refurbisher (local BBB listings help...so to their national or state association) to do a consult. Usually the first visit/estimate is free - they want your business and they most likely make house calls!

Once the cabinets are taken care of and reinstalled, then have a look at what you want to do with the rest of the kitchen (paint colour, back splash, counter tops, flooring). Let the cabinets set the pace and the rest will fall into place.
December 30, 2012 at 11:19am   
feeny
Just so you can get a picture in your head of what your cabinet style will look like painted, here's a picture of a kitchen with similar cabinets after a professional paint job:

December 30, 2012 at 11:31am