powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Huge problem with entry way, staircase and fireplace design....
dmaloon
December 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
When you walk into our condo you can see the back side of the fireplace and the staircase. Not very welcoming as is.
We are trying to decide whether to close in the area between the posts in the entry hall, which would block out the light, or leave it open and change the staircase and entire fireplace.
Advise needed...thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dmaloon
view from living room
December 29, 2012 at 11:38pm   
dmaloon
view from entry way
December 29, 2012 at 11:38pm   
dmaloon
under stairs - between entry way and living room
December 29, 2012 at 11:39pm   
dmaloon
living room
December 29, 2012 at 11:39pm   
khashkes
I would close out the space underneath the stairs. Def change the fireplace to something much simpler and smallllller. I think the problem is the fireplace is to large for the space and becomes overwhelming instead of a focal point. By closing the space under the stairs you would also be getting storage space.

Or close the space and instead make the fireplace wider and shorter. Basically the length of the stairs but half the height it is now.

Hope that helps :)
December 29, 2012 at 11:48pm   
jmarae
Would closing the area between the posts in the entry way block off your light in the entire condo, or just in the entry area?
December 29, 2012 at 11:50pm   
Darzy
I would not block the light or close up the space. I think just put something interesting on the back side of the FP for interest. I'm thinking...,
How about a small raised planter behind the FP. Nature is always beautiful.

December 29, 2012 at 11:52pm     
elaineolson
I leave everything where it is. But looking straight on to fireplace I'd angle a wall on left side of fireplace at same angle as stair railing following it up to the ceiling.this will still leave an open feeling but definition for backdrop for fireplace. On the right side I'd bring up wall straight then angle it towards the top so left and right taper up to ceiling. It will allow the fireplace to have definition, add a great art piece on the larger right side wall. The tapered left side still looks open to back wall but divides staircase and livingroom space. Happy renovation.
December 30, 2012 at 12:20am   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Just another option, you could let it be and invest in some great furnishings. Best, Diane
December 30, 2012 at 1:03am     
Dani Pollard
I would build a blade wall above the fireplace and up to the ceiling. Maybe hang a beautiful big painting or have some shelves. Also as a much lower (second) priority I would close in under the stairs and have extra storage there or maybe even a coats closet if it is near the entrance /main door. Be Bold :)
December 30, 2012 at 1:43am   
cohoek
Because the fireplace is built in front of the stairs, the stairs have lost their architectural importance. The best way to change this is to make a wall up to the ceiling with the fireplace in it. maybe make niches in the wall for your wood, and some interesting stuff. This way you will be making a focal point of the fireplace. Will look for a picture....
December 30, 2012 at 2:51am   
chaliac
What I would do is place a low table on the back of the fireplace and decorate the table so the entry way doesn't look cold and ad a large decoration on the left side of the table to balance out the angle of the stairs. For the front of the fireplace you could add some color to the trimming so it doesn't look as large and add some tall grassy or leafy plants on top and on the sides instead of building a wall. It's cheaper and it'll block out most of the stairs. If you don't like plants, you could find some artwork.
December 30, 2012 at 3:44am     
hmschoolmom
Low cost: initially, when furnishing I would add large plants to the backside of the fireplace that would fill in that area.

There seems to be a mix of contemporary with the floating staircase and traditional with the large fireplace with moulding. Which direction ate you inclined? To keep open contemporary, scale down fireplace, lose the moulding and do something creative with the chimney. (wrap in wood? Metal?). For a more traditional look, build a wall to mask the chimney that extends from the mantle to the ceiling and not quite as wide as the fireplace allowing the moulding to maintain prominence. The backside should be finished flat so it can become a place for artwork, a coat tree, plants or entry table/mirror.

I wouldn't close in the staircase.
December 30, 2012 at 4:43am     
More Discussions
Shaker Cabinets: Traditional or Contemporary?
I was reading an HGTV article that said that Shaker...
Tree advice
Can anyone identify this mid Atlantic tree?
What color to paint railings on porch
We've been in the process of updating the exterior...
Hardwood floor in bedrooms?
I am flipping a 950 sq.ft, 2 bed-1 bath-one story home...
Hiding the well head and curb appeal please!
This is a lake house. It sits close to the road as...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.