powered by
Design Dilemma
Design Dilemma

searching for Harry Potter like sofas

justinycDecember 29, 2012
I'm trying to find sofa's and armchairs similar to the ones used in the student common room in the Harry Potter films. Does anyone know if that style has a specific design name? The sofas have the look of worn, loose, red velvet and are low to the ground. I'm not necessarily looking for the worn/used look. But something with similar upholstery would be a great start.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dani Pollard
Tried to Google to see style but couldn't find anything... Please post pic. Thanks
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 1:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hi Dani, Thank you for responding. Here are two pictures that show the type of sofa I'm referring to. After a closer look, it seems like the red material is draped over the sofa. The shape resembles a restoration hardware Kensington sofa. But I'm still trying to see if there's a name for this style or a designer that makes furniture in this style.


    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
My friend has 2 like that - although they have the worn look too!!!
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Just kidding - she bought both in France - which doesn't help but wldnt the pottery barn have something like that...
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elyn's Library
Something like this? - http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Burlington-Burgundy-Sofa-and-Loveseat-Set/7324727/product.html

or this? - http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Broyhill-Anna-Cinnamon-Loveseat/6749204/product.html

Not sure if the sofa has specific design name. It seems to simply be a rolled arm sofa with a low back. Removing the loose back cushions completely, or replacing with a long, low, single pillow (like a "body pillow") can help keep that very low back profile.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
You are looking for a roll arm sofa with a tight back (that means no cushions on back) and bench seat (one cushion across the length of the seat).... You also want it upholstered with a "skirt".... there are lots int he marketplace, but if you are working with a designer I would look at Kravet Furniture... you can specify each element and you will have loads (upwards of 60,000 fabrics to choose from!)
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
These look like they are Chesterfield sofas and are quite common here in the UK. http://www.lovelysofas.co.uk/campaign/mcd545?gclid=COSd77_ZwrQCFSHHtAodRE8AHQ
Usually in leather, but are making a come back upholstered. The ones you posted a link to have a throw over them, but Chesterfields have deep buttoning along the back and a very firm low back.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thank you so much! This has been very helpful.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
Chesterfields are tufted and also sit a bit high on legs.... it doesn't look like this one is tufted
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 10:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
And if you want the
"loose look" you want to have the sofa slipcovered specifying that the seat cushion should not have a separate cover (that way you will get the draped looked without the usually visual of a separate seat cushion
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 10:18AM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
Dining room needs help
I am looking for suggestions for a new light, art work...
Jenny Edwards
Orange colour sectional sofa
I have this Machalke Machalke leather sectional sofa...
Need help decorating my living room
Hi all, First time poster here. Loving houzz so...
what to do with the 4th corner
I am designing a small apartment with a fabulous view...
More Discussions
My old house need free Kitchen Help Dated and Ugly
This is a old house. My husband and I are trying to...
Looking for suggestions for rug under dining table....
Need help with living room remodel...fireplace design & light fixture
The house we lived in for 10 years just had a partial...
Colors that compliment Functional Gray by Sherwin Williams?
I've already started another post about bedroom colors...
Ryan Kelley
Sponsored Products
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5051 Widespread Bathroom Faucet - S5051BR
$808.92 | Hayneedle
Light Green Lounge Vase
$13.99 | zulily
Remer by Nameeks Q05US Tub Filler - REMER Q05US
$379.00 | Hayneedle
Remer by Nameeks L21US Bidet Faucet - REMER L21US
$143.59 | Hayneedle
ACF by Nameeks ACF NI03-GW/LC Nico 33-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy Wh
Remer by Nameeks LI06US Bath Mixer with Hand Shower - REMER LI06US
$468.00 | Hayneedle
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S2095 Tub Spout - S2095CR
$256.92 | Hayneedle
Canyon Ranch Silk Eye Pillow
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.