powered by
Design Dilemma
Design Dilemma

Designing new apartment

chaliacDecember 30, 2012

I recently moved into an apartment and I'm not allowed to paint. The rooms I'm having a problem with are the living room, bedroom, and study room. Also, I'm on a college student's budget. Does anyone have any suggestions about putting color on the walls without painting them or loading them with objects?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
You can put fabric on your walls as a temporary measure. Here's a how-to: http://www.mattandshari.com/decorating-ideas/starching-fabric-to-walls-new.html
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 4:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thanks. I've never hard of that before; I'm going to look into that.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 12:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
Consider artwork - groupings of art can transform a white wall into a real focal point.... or african fabrics or vintage quilts.... (items you can find on a budget)....
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 1:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
I don't know the style iof the apartment, but you can also use colored tape to create interesting geometric shapes.... and there are lots of peel off decals in the market if you want something graphic...
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 1:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The style of the apartment....

My boyfriend and I want each room to be a different getaway. The living room we want to be Asian inspired ( our sofa and loveseat are red), the bedroom we want to be dark romantic and modern with deep purple, the bathroom tropical, and the study room we want something that will inspire us while doing homework but stay focused. The kitchen is practically finished. I've attached my floodplan if it helps too.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
Use Etsy.com. They have a search engine and you can input what you would like such as photography tropical, caribean or hawaii. Etsy also has large vinyl wall art that are peelable when you are finished. You may want a bulletin board in your office to post items or a calendar. I am a very visual person and need one to stay on track and easily find certain items. You can pick up an inexpensive one at Walmart or an office supply store.
If you have a camera, you could take pictures of items you would like to inspire you too. Maybe pictures of your campus! I use a nationally ranked photo lab for my photography for my photography site. But, Shutterfly does a nice job and you can upload photos there.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Majestic India
Why not try accessorizing with brightly coloured asian inspired throws and cushion covers for your sofas or colourful bedding such as a sumptuous sari brocade quilt or a kantha bedspread. This will take the attention away from the plain walls.

Try this website, http://www.majestic-india.com
    Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 7:59AM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
Need help for my new apartment design
I have the floor plan and i really want to go for a...
Need help with design of a new 1BHK Apartment !!!
Dear Friends , I have design dilemma...I need to...
New apartment - single guy with no design clue needs livingroom help
I need help helping my brother with his new apartment....
Ellen Leung
need new apartment design advice
I am buying an apartment from spec but I am not satisfied...
Ernesto Zerda
More Discussions
What's your favorite smell in your house?
Home is a multi sensory experience. What is your favorite...
Emily Hurley
Living Room Furniture Arrangement
We have very limited wall space in our living room...
What is wrong here?
We loved this room before we hung the art over the...
French doors or slider patio door
This old picture window on the right is getting replaced...
Sponsored Products
Antique Rustic Metal/ Mesh Fireplace Screen
Crystal Enchantment One-Light Wall Sconce in Silver Leaf Finish
Shower Curtain Unique from DiaNoche Designs by nJoyArt - Solar System VII
$89.00 | DiaNoche
YuAnne 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Brown
$1,499.00 | LexMod
42" Prairie Nickel and Stained Glass Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Royal Pacific 45 Degree Bronze Sloped Ceiling Adapter CLI-RPSA45PBD
$34.52 | Home Depot
Polished Chrome Whitehaus 614.151WS Deck Mount Lever Bathroom Faucet
$249.00 | Blue Bath
Robert Abbey | Real Simple Wall Boom
$264.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.