Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Designing new apartment
chaliac
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello!

I recently moved into an apartment and I'm not allowed to paint. The rooms I'm having a problem with are the living room, bedroom, and study room. Also, I'm on a college student's budget. Does anyone have any suggestions about putting color on the walls without painting them or loading them with objects?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
You can put fabric on your walls as a temporary measure. Here's a how-to: http://www.mattandshari.com/decorating-ideas/starching-fabric-to-walls-new.html
December 30, 2012 at 4:22am   
chaliac
Thanks. I've never hard of that before; I'm going to look into that.
December 30, 2012 at 12:55pm     
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
Consider artwork - groupings of art can transform a white wall into a real focal point.... or african fabrics or vintage quilts.... (items you can find on a budget)....
December 30, 2012 at 1:07pm   
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
I don't know the style iof the apartment, but you can also use colored tape to create interesting geometric shapes.... and there are lots of peel off decals in the market if you want something graphic...
December 30, 2012 at 1:09pm   
chaliac
The style of the apartment....

My boyfriend and I want each room to be a different getaway. The living room we want to be Asian inspired ( our sofa and loveseat are red), the bedroom we want to be dark romantic and modern with deep purple, the bathroom tropical, and the study room we want something that will inspire us while doing homework but stay focused. The kitchen is practically finished. I've attached my floodplan if it helps too.
December 30, 2012 at 2:36pm   
Nancy Hehmann
Use Etsy.com. They have a search engine and you can input what you would like such as photography tropical, caribean or hawaii. Etsy also has large vinyl wall art that are peelable when you are finished. You may want a bulletin board in your office to post items or a calendar. I am a very visual person and need one to stay on track and easily find certain items. You can pick up an inexpensive one at Walmart or an office supply store.
If you have a camera, you could take pictures of items you would like to inspire you too. Maybe pictures of your campus! I use a nationally ranked photo lab for my photography for my photography site. But, Shutterfly does a nice job and you can upload photos there.
December 30, 2012 at 2:52pm   
PRO
Majestic India
Why not try accessorizing with brightly coloured asian inspired throws and cushion covers for your sofas or colourful bedding such as a sumptuous sari brocade quilt or a kantha bedspread. This will take the attention away from the plain walls.

Try this website, http://www.majestic-india.com
January 9, 2013 at 7:59am