Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with fireplace
dabeevm25
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm not exactly sure what to do with the area around my fireplace. I've attached 3 pictures to show how my fireplace looks.

My hearth goes wall to wall and there is a gap between where the hearth stops and the wall starts. That would make it difficult to put any type of baseboard in this area. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with this area?

The other problem is with the fireplace face. The brick from the face doesn't go all the way to the wall either. You can see in the picture there is a gap that the previous owner filled with spray foam. Any thoughts for covering this area?

I was planning to solve both of these issues by putting a stove veneer over the brick and then a 2 piece limestone hearth pad. However, I just found out I need to tear down my chimney and rebuild on the outside. So now that I have to do that, cost has become an issue and I am looking for a cheaper alternative. Right now, I am thinking of painting the fireplace white and then trying to give it a distressed look.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Diane Hélène Lalande
I would go with painting the fireplace in white. I am sure that you will not regret this great, simple and none expensive alternative. The floor looks great and just imagine when the wall of the fireplace will be clear, the room is gone look much more bigger. Enjoy!
Diane Hélène - Interior designer & Artist
December 30, 2012 at 6:22AM   
Diane Hélène Lalande
Oops, forget.... About the spray foam, just use an Xacto knife to cut off the part that is not esthetic and not née des, after that you'll be able to add a very small finishing moulding. This way you can use the same moulding that was use at the base of your wall to put at the base of your fireplace base. Always paint the mouldings the same color as the fireplace. -white!
December 30, 2012 at 6:28AM     
tlh75752
We have a very similar fireplace that I had considered painting, but instead opted to paint the adjacent walls a medium toned gray, Benjamin Moore Irongate. The fireplace looks completely different and both the gray and the fireplace look great as a backdrop to aged copper accessories.
December 30, 2012 at 6:42AM   
curraghgirl
I would add white built ins around it - will make the room and fireplace appear bigger and will add more depth to the fireplace.
December 30, 2012 at 7:06AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.