powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to bring life to this dining room? It seems something is missing!
fabi_pie
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I was thinking about putting mirrors on the wall on the right, changing the glass sideboard for a wooden one where I could store crystals and putting some paints on the wall behind it.
What would you recommend me to do? I appreciate your suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minhas
I would paint one wall as an accent wall with a vibrant color and hang a big picture or mirror
December 30, 2012 at 6:01AM     
frenchreno
I would def find some art - even photos...I wouldn't put a mirror on the right wall as the person at the head of the table may be distracted!
A mirror on the wall above the sideboard could work although a selection of smaller ones always gives a pretty effect.
December 30, 2012 at 6:04AM     
berekann
Emerald green is the color of the year; might be fun for this space, and you will be able to find lots of coordinating accessories (linens, dishes). Or, if you palette is different - a berry color (could still be combined with accents of emerald).
Artwork is probably better than mirror, since the light is shiny. Possibly even a wall decal; they make some wonderful ones, fairly inexpensive; can be interchanged easily. Good luck!
December 30, 2012 at 6:20AM     
andrealicata
I was also going to suggest putting the mirror over the sideboard and moving the flower arrangement off to one side. You can paint an accent stripe that is the same width as the table and use that as a canvas for some small pieces of framed or unframed art.
December 30, 2012 at 6:22AM   
PRO
Doodlefish
I think the room is beautiful! Have you thought about a great rug and some coordinating artwork? This will anchor the room and define the space. Putting color/pattern on the walls and floor will move your eyes around the space and add visual interest. Right now you focus on the upholstered chairs which are neutral.
December 30, 2012 at 6:47AM     
PRO
Karen Tiede Art Rugs
Big art, and/or two-tone wall color (light above, darker below). I'm not wild about mirrors around food. Hate to see myself eating, although I might be thinner if I did.

Looks like you're someone who can live with white furniture if that's the back of the sofa in the front corner of the picture. I'd like to see more color. Consider taking a neutral out of the wood if you don't want any more raspberry than we can see in this image.
December 30, 2012 at 9:36AM   
fabi_pie
Thanks everybody for those great suggestions! I will definitely take them into consideration.
January 2, 2013 at 4:21PM   
frenchreno
Hi - I also forgot to say - there is a photographer who I use - she has a great selection of art - beautiful colours or black and white here is her link www.carinaokula.com have fun and don't forget to post pictures with the final results!
January 3, 2013 at 2:37AM   
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I think a colorful, bold piece of art over the console would make a big difference.
January 3, 2013 at 2:47AM     
gkleanthous
You could consider removing the chair at the head of the table (have it as an extra and add it when you need it). I agree with the rest, the console is begging for a friend above it or even an interesting wallpaper behind it, but if you are afraid of bold pieces you could put something neutral but add a colored table runner
January 3, 2013 at 4:55AM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I would purchase a rug to ground the furniture and define the space, and put some colorful art on the walls. It's very bland in it's current state
January 3, 2013 at 5:06AM   
andrealicata
The problem I see with adding a rug is that the space is not really large enough for the table and the chairs. While the table is unused, it would be fine, however when the chairs are pulled out, they will be half on and half off the rug. Is it possible to put the sideboard somewhere else? That would give you more room around the table. I would imagine that it would be slightly uncomfortable for those sitting in the far chairs, and they certainly wouldn't be able to get up without everyone getting up.
January 3, 2013 at 7:46AM     
fabi_pie
This is an artwork I found in a store today and I liked. I made a collage with the picture of the dining room to get an idea of how they would result together.
How do you like it? Should I buy it?
January 3, 2013 at 3:44PM   
patriciarhall
nice painting. it should be hung no higher than 6 inches above the console.
January 3, 2013 at 3:53PM   
memegee
I like the idea of wall decal - fancy or deco something. Could be only on the right wall floor to ceiling. Doesn't even necessarily have to go full scale horizontally, depending on what you get.
susanmitch
Now a rug.
jagood
If you moved the console table elsewhere, is there space to turn the table in the other direction? My thoughts are - if there is space, the table would look more natural in a position where there is space all the way around it for chairs, and you may be able to put a properly sized rectangular rug under it.

I don't like that painting with your furniture. Your furniture has fairly elegant lines and I think your art needs to be more elegant too.
January 3, 2013 at 4:03PM     
Natalie
HI---I think the painting overwhelms the space (saturated color)---something a little softer and lighter. If the console can be moved to another spot-great---BIGGER art then for that wall-mural?. Also think it might look more spacious omitting two of the side chairs-perhaps the head chair too--- and/or switching out the head chair so there are 5 total matching chairs. A mirror on the wall of the table will double the view and reflect the wonderful light fixture. HOpe this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=small Chelsea apartment][houzz=Dining Delight][houzz=Spruce Street][houzz=Portland Apartment]
January 3, 2013 at 4:42PM     
Darzy
I think a flowing wall decal spanning both walls would be stunning. Like this...

January 3, 2013 at 4:55PM     
anitajoyce
You could paint both walls in a nice accent color. Add a nice rug and a nice big picture of abstract art or a big flower picture. Change th table runner to one with a little color or a with a neutral pattern if that is what you like. On top of the runner add a group of 2-3 candles and a small plant or a nice vase and small plant.
If you keep the table add a small plant there also along with some candles.
January 3, 2013 at 4:57PM   
memegee
Yes, Darzy. Now we're talking. That's enchanting.
January 3, 2013 at 4:59PM     
Angie Duguay
yo have to many chairs smaler picture 2 candle holder on same side
January 3, 2013 at 5:18PM   
anitajoyce
I agree with Angie Duguay, You do have too many chairs. Makes the space feel crowded.
January 3, 2013 at 7:06PM     
PRO
Smilow + Mathiesen
Looks good minus a few chairs but a great squarish piece of art on the blank wall will do wonders!
January 4, 2013 at 5:54PM     
Angie Duguay
i agree
January 4, 2013 at 8:41PM   
calikym
I don't like the artwork. It doesn't match the chairs. :(
January 4, 2013 at 8:46PM   
Angie Duguay
i agree a 3 piece mirror mabee a 3 piece art (medium size)
January 4, 2013 at 8:52PM   
Jayme H.
Agree with removing chairs...it will look better/and a rug is a great idea too. Not sure that painting works well with the chairs...U have a lovely place, it will turn out great!
January 4, 2013 at 9:07PM