Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help for hole above corner fireplace
hs350
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
hi! i need ideas for the large tv nook above the corner fireplace in my living room. i have my flat screned tv on the wall next to it and a low black tv console below the tv(not seen in pic). ive thought about covering it up with a largemirror butthe crown moulding around it makes it more difficult. the nook is quite deep and ive thought about hanging a circular mirror inside, but again...the crown molding around it makes me nervous about the outcome. i already have a large painting over the sofa on the opposite wall (artwork not included in pic)so dont want to cover it with artwork. im going for a glamorous yet comfy feel for my living room so im partial to decorative mirrors! thanks PS..drywalling the nook is not an option
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It looks as though it was made that way to house an old style TV. Build out the back wall and put the TV back above the fireplace.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:04AM
frenchreno
If you could put lighting in there to illuminate a sculpture or vases? Or half a shelf and fill the look with 2 levels of pictures...
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:08AM
frenchreno
Nook! Not look!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:08AM
hs350
thanks for your suggestion.like i said covering the hole permanently is not an option unfortunately and so is placing the tv above the fireplace because of the furniture placement and layout of the room. will make it uncomfortable to watch tv. thanks again
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:09AM
hs350
like the idea of shelves.. actually thought about that, but then how will that look with the little shelves directly below the nook? they are really too smalland deep to house any kind of decor and be visible
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:14AM
andrealicata
Install a couple of puck lights overhead inside the nook, and hang a glass shelf halfway up. Put some art glass or other object on the shelves and highlight the space instead of trying to hide it.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:17AM
andrealicata
See if you can find any boxes that fit into the holes meant to house the equipment. Or you can make one from cardboard and cover it with a funky fabric to add some color.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:19AM
frenchreno
Of course I see what u mean - can u knock them out? I have seen small half sized shelves which u cld place intermittently and fill up the bottom area w pictures. Otherwise - could sliding baskets with writing paper or letters fit in - it actually looks a bit small but may work.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:22AM
PRO
Wow Great Place
I'm curious, is there a reason covering the hole permanently is not an option? Is this a rental unit that won't allow you to make those types of changes?
It would be a relatively simple fix, heck, even adding doors to cover the hole would be an improvement. These "nooks" were a popular feature in a lot of homes, but went by the wayside when flat screen televisions became the norm. They were designed specifically to house a deep TV, which is why there is power and a cable outlet there.
I would have an electrician in to remove the power, and then drywall the hole so it becomes a flat piece of wall, no trim, no accent, no special treatment, and this way, you won't have an odd box fighting with the TV and the fireplace for attention.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:28AM
Peg Silverwood
Bring the existing flat screen down to eye level and place is on a half round table with shelves. Take the shelves out of the bottom of the inset. This is a pretty deep space so add shelving in various depths but not a lot of shelving. Find what you want to display and go from there. If it were min. I would find the money to completely remove it and smooth out the wall.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:35AM
PRO
Wow Great Place
Oh, and if that is truly not an option, paint the entire inside of the box, including the trim, the same colour as the wall to help it disappear. Add one large sculpture or vase or urn, and try to ignore it.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:40AM
PRO
Schoolhouse Renovation Inc
Lower the flat screen and put a large mirror over the hole. The mirror frame should be interesting and rest on the mantle of the fireplace. The reflection in the mirror of the opposite wall will give the illusion that the hole has been closed up.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:47AM
hs350
thanks everyone! great ideas! yes it is a rental and that doesnt allow for any dry walling...
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:54AM
PRO
Wow Great Place
Darn it! I would still ask the landlord.....might be helpful to show him this thread as well, so he sees how the rest of us feel! LOL
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:28AM
hs350
lol!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:30AM
hs350
hey! how about one large cabinet door to cover it? can provide extra storage and i can put my mirror over it too! what do you think?
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:34AM
Peg Silverwood
Since it is a rental. Get a very large and luscious plant and position it in the center since you have electrical you can get some lighting that could be attached behind the plant and illuminate it. Put two very nice candle sticks large and chunky on each side on the Fire place mantel. ;D
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:06AM