Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Our new great room looks depressed!!
jensmom1
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My husband bought and loves a horrific large brown sectional for our new great room which also serves as a dining room and is open to our new all white kitchen. I can replace anything in the room except this massive couch (aarrghh!) and need help lifting this rooms spirit. Paint colors, coffee and end tables, rugs, accessories? I know the couch is awful in this room but he loves it so I need to keep it in here so please give me any other ideas you can. :) This is a large sunlit room with vaulted ceilings and a skylight but it looks like it wants to lay down and die!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
You need a super bright area rug to contrast with that behemoth, maybe one of these?
[houzz=Safavieh Courtyard Terra Natural/Brown Area Rug]
[houzz=Trinket Area Rug]
December 30, 2012 at 7:44am     
jensmom1
Thanks so much. I like both of these
December 30, 2012 at 7:46am     
PRO
Dytecture
Good thing is the sectional looks comfortable ! and you have a relatively clean slate to work with.

I would add some warmth and color to this space with wall art / pictures, area rugs for the dining and living area, perhaps an ottoman or coffee table.

December 30, 2012 at 7:46am     
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
The first thing to keep in mind is that you want to lighten up the space. The sofa is really not that bad, just need to accessorize using lighter tones. Sofa pillows should have a cream background with some fun color accents. Use a lighter rug detail. In regards to end tables or coffee table, I would bring in some glass pieces, not sure if mirrored is something that you like, but keeping the glass detail will again not add bulk and weight to your space. I would remove the end table that is in the photo that resembles a trunk. Also, if you have a leaf for your dining table, you might want to add it. The table would weight it's space in the dining area making the sofa feel less overwhelming.
Please ask questions, you will get through this and the sofa will be fine!
Cheers!
m.
December 30, 2012 at 7:49am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Yes, bright colored rug and pillows. Do not be afraid to mix patterns, texture and colors. Bright paint on the walls and some good art will pull it all together. I am not offended by the sofa. A comfortable can makes a happy man!
December 30, 2012 at 7:50am     
Dar Eckert
Yes a colorful rug would lighten the room. Make sure it is big enough to cover a majority of the floor in the room. Consider rotating the sofa away from the windows, maybe put the TV on the other wall. The back of the sectional would face the kitchen. Get a light colored sofa table to put behind the sofa.
December 30, 2012 at 7:52am   
jensmom1
Thanks everyone. The sofa is definitely comfortable so that is a plus. I love color so I'm grateful for all your suggestions about what colors to add? We love our pottery barn table which we have two leaves for but should I replace the wood and leather chairs it came with to light upholstered ones to soften the room up?
December 30, 2012 at 8:00am   
charleee
I would get the area rug in place first, before I worry about re-upholstering the chairs. I think the rug will make all the difference.
December 30, 2012 at 8:07am     
PRO
In regards to the dining table, I think that the chairs that it came with will be fine. Just make the table feel larger by adding the leaves. Do you have more chairs? If you do not, you could get to captain chairs, one for each end. These two chairs could be upholstered in an accent color or pattern from the family room palette. This will be fun, pulling this all together! As Interior International, Inc. mentioned, DO NOT be afraid to mix patterns! Have fun with this! Great that the sofa is comfortable, makes it more pleasing for you to work around! :)
Cheers!
m.
December 30, 2012 at 8:08am     
charleee
Another idea is to get a table runner in the same colors as the area rug you pick. This will tie the two items together and your chair seats will be just fine.
December 30, 2012 at 8:10am   
PRO
Sorry, when looking at your dining photo, I noticed you have two captain chairs already. You could have these upholstered. Have the interior exterior and interiors upholstered. You could have the height raised as well, adding bulk to the two chairs, setting them apart. This could be beautiful. If you are interested in seeing some before and after photos, please send me your email address and I can send you some photos. The visual difference could be incredible.
Cheers!
m.
moniqueflesher@gmail.com
December 30, 2012 at 8:11am   
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
I think you could also pull a color out of your new area rug (once you have it :)) to some window treatments. Roman shades would work nicely as you don't have room for drapery panels behind the sofa
December 30, 2012 at 8:27am   
decoenthusiaste
The couch is in the wrong corner, so is encroaching on windows and dining area. Pay the extra to install TV in the space between the windows. Move the couch to the long wall at the end of your room. Use only the credenza part of the TV in the new location. Make your first purchase either a colorful piece of art or area rug, and draw your colors for curtains, pillows, throws, and other accessories from those. Art should be nice and large to go behind the couch (5" above the back,) and the rug should be generous enough to put the front feet of the sofa on all around. A glass coffee table to let the rug show through would look great. Can't tell what your lighting is, but that needs some help too, so post photos once you've rearranged and well find a spot for the two bookcases.
December 30, 2012 at 8:27am     
tborrall
hi! For color palettes you could go with brown, white and blue... Or instead of the blue you could use a lime green or an orange.. Lots of fun orange out there right now. I agree with finding your rug first and then pulling your colors for wall and choosing complementary fabrics from that. Bringing in a reflective surface like mercury glass light fixtures or mirrored furniture would be great. Can you hang a dining light over your dining room? That may help define that space. As others have said, a large rug with a lighter field would help balance. My mom is a designer and she always tells me to think about balance in terms of your colors, wood with glass, and size of pieces. As you have a big couch, you will want a substantial painting to do that. Good luck!
December 30, 2012 at 10:08am   
maryrw
I would paint the walls a nice upbeat color like a creamy light yellow or buttercream, also add an area rug. Get rid of the side table, its too small and looks odd.
December 30, 2012 at 10:15am   
Nancy Hehmann
I love your couch, comfy! Pick out art first. You can go to Etsy.com and input what you like in the search engine such as Photography, coastal, or Hawaii, Venice or what interests you! high def photography is very uplifting and is almost as good as being there! I wake up to St Thomas every day and in my family room is a great Tybee Island lighthouse with vibrant blue sky. Photography can be any size Too. I have a photography shp on Etsy which is nancyhehmann. Once you have a piece of art you love pick one of the colors for throw cushions, etsy has those too! If you want to add a throw rug add one with a couple of the colors from the artwork. Check out target.com, JCPenney.com or capel rugs has a website too! Have fun!
December 30, 2012 at 10:31am   
Sharon Stegall
Love the couch:). Add pops up bright color such as golden yellow or bright turquoise. it will be gorgeous! also consider accents of gold or silver for interest. Good luck!
December 30, 2012 at 10:37am   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Another concern here is the floor colouring. And I'm not saying that because I'm a flooring expert. If you lighten up that floor (it looks like engineered hardwood). The colour of the sofa is "anchoring" a room that already has a HUGE anchor! I would want to see a floor that is a little closer in colour to the kitchen. This would then allow the sofa to have "it's way" in the room. Plus, I think decoenthusiast has it right...the sofa and the TV have to swap walls.

Have a look at some other flooring option. So long as the floor is this colour, you will ALWAYS have to have floor rugs that help take away from the two massive elephants in the room.
December 30, 2012 at 10:48am   
cohoek
I'm telling you light blue and bruin are beautiful together, like in the Trinket area rug.This rug could be your color scheme. Lighten everything up with some ivory throws and some bluish pillows. Your husband could just have made a great choice. I find it easier to work with some limitations, except it and work with it! It looks like a man hole now, but if you hang some curtains, rods higher 20 cm higher than the windows, and curtains to the grond, you'll get some vertical lines in the room. I would put some blue things in your bookcases too, to bring everything together. Also maybe something shiny silver, too. If you use satiny cushions you'll have different textures too, mmmmm. Try laying some light blue clothes on the couch to see how it works. I'm having so much fun with this!!!!
December 30, 2012 at 10:50am   
Manon Floreat
I think this is a nice room and you've got some really good suggestions for adding color through area rugs, pillows and window treatments. I'll add that an arc lamp tucked in the corner behind the sectional would add more light and be a nice contemporary addition.

Here's a photo of how it would look:

December 30, 2012 at 10:55am     
Nancy Hehmann
https://www.etsy.com/listing/103095766/tybee-island-lighthouse-photograph-tybee

Here is a link to a lighthouse with a vibrant blue sky. Just click above and it will take you there. Very striking. I have it in a size 24" x 30" in my family room or it could be in a collage of other coastal photography. It is Tybee Island lighthouse near Savannah Georgia. I have brown leather couch and use an animal print throw on it.
December 30, 2012 at 11:06am   
Elyn's Library
I agree with many of the previous suggestions that TV and bookcases should swap places with sofa and chaise.

Use the TV credenza between the windows.

Move the glass doored bookcase to the Dining room area wall. It looks like you already have your stem and glass ware there - it would make a lovely display.

Move the open shelved bookcase to the opposite wall.

Love the "Trinket" or similar area rug and agree that Blue and Brown are a classic combination that you can have lots of fun with.

I think part of the visual problem is that the current configuration forces you to have your backs against the windows facing an otherwise blank wall which tends to make people uneasy. Moving the sofa allows you to see outside as well as watch TV.

Also agree that you need more lighting - a chandelier of some kind over the dining table and perhaps something like a drum shade pendant over the corner of the sofa/chaise - something similar to these - http://www.houzz.com/drum-shade-pendant. A good sized end table on the end of the sofa closest to the dining room area would give you space for a good sized table lamp with a white or cream shade.

And that sofa/chaise combo look s-o-o-o comfy, a great place for popcorn and movie nights!
December 30, 2012 at 11:37am   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
That sofa is a behemoth and totally overwhelms the room. It should never be placed to cover windows like that. Move it into the room away from the windows. then put floor to ceiling drapery panels in colors to tie in with your dining room. Use 2' diam. wooden rods. The height of the drapes will draw some attention away from the sofa and match the scale of the sofa. Then put several pillows on the sofa in same fabric to break up some of that brown.

I'm sorry, but why do some spouses go and do this without getting advice first. I know I will get crucified for saying this but I've seen it over and over. It is way too large for the space that it is in.
December 30, 2012 at 11:51am     
Ramona
Do not let anyone convince you that you need to spend dollars on the floor or that it is a problem. Without a bright rug, it is overwhelming, but with one, it will be a perfect frame for the rug. Make sure you get a rug you love. Don't buy the artwork first, because you may not find a rug that can harmonize and that is the bigger purchase. I agree with those above who suggest bright metals and glass to lighten it all up. Your husbandito wanted to make sure he had a comfortable place to relax his bones. Also, get a wonderful throw that you absolutely love.
December 30, 2012 at 1:56pm   
kitasei
OMG what a real estate grab. What an encroachment. You are a better wife and person than I if you accept this. How about a compromise - just get rid of the chaise piece?? You have surrendered HALF YOUR SPACE. It looks like a collective obesity program. How many people are supposed to lie down and watch tv at the same time? I wouldn't invest in making it better. I would put a time limit on its welcome. Treat it like a time share.
December 30, 2012 at 2:18pm     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Agree with the above. It even encroaches on the dining area. it belongs in a much bigger room/house. Tell him you would like a bigger house to enable him to keep the sectional!!! hehehe I know I'm not being any help here. Sorry.
December 30, 2012 at 2:26pm     
Candace Bordelon
Don't cover your windows! Move the white entertainment center/TV to the blank wall opposite your dining table. Then move the sectional (bless your heart) to face the TV as another person previously suggested. This will open up that wall with the higher portion of the ceiling (where the TV is now) for an oversized piece of impact art. It would also cut down on glare as the TV wouldn't be opposite the windows. I also like the idea of glass end tables and maybe a glass coffee table. After you get an area rug, curtains, throw pillows for the couch, artwork, etc., pull out a color and PAINT THE WALLS. It is way too white and stark. This will set off your white entertainment cabinets and give the whole room a boost. Carry that color into your dining room with accessories/dishes/placemats and into your kitchen with other accessories as well. I love your white kitchen but the other room is way too white.
December 30, 2012 at 2:28pm   
tgrdnr
I would paint the walls pale orange, and add orange and light blue pillows to the couch. This color combo will make your space look fun, bright, and also tropical. Add a rug, maybe a neutral like dark ivory, possibly with a brachytherapy print. Add large photos or painting of the beach, a couple ferns (which you can buy at your local garden center) and a couple other beach themes items, like a bowl of seashells or a ship in a bottle. Viola! A brightened up room with a tropical feel.
December 31, 2012 at 9:41am   
tgrdnr
A pale blue wall may even be better. It'll make the room feel bigger and brighter than orange. But it'll still work with orange.
December 31, 2012 at 9:43am   
kitasei
A tropical theme with brown velour.. 1970s Bronx?
December 31, 2012 at 11:33am     
Fernanda Avena
alguna estructura de madera como vigas te podrian servir!
December 31, 2012 at 11:37am   
Fernanda Avena
alguna estructura de madera como vigas te podrian ayudar :)
December 31, 2012 at 11:38am   
rwagenaar
Thanks for supplying 4 good images - it is so much easier when you show the adjoining rooms.
I am sending you 12 area rug images - if you can pick 1 or 2 I will send you drapery and picture ideas that work with those. You can start by tossing the current toss cushion(pardon the pun); they make the sofa look like it came from a furniture warehouse. Which is where I bought my last one, but the toss cushions were replaced with down filled silk and fabric ones. :)
December 31, 2012 at 12:01pm   
rwagenaar
more
December 31, 2012 at 12:02pm   
rwagenaar
m
December 31, 2012 at 12:03pm   
judianna20
Husbands….they ask for so little, but when they do, they always want soooooooooo big. We have all been there…the can't shoot them stage :>).

Throwing in this photo because I thought it might compliment your white kitchen. Also, could you pull the sectional out from the wall, even just a couple of inches. Run a snake light down along the baseboard because at night the up light on the wall will make the sofa look sleeker.

December 31, 2012 at 12:15pm     
Natalie
Hi---it's not so bad... I suggest a rug with circles to break all the lines/squares. Keep walls neutral-2 shades darker than current color-accent with hues of rug. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/central-oriental-retro-flowers/beige/1058715BG-2077.html
[houzz=Carriage House 1][houzz=Carriage House 2]
December 31, 2012 at 10:48pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Need to add drama to the windows with some drapery panels. Add area rug and light colored pillows and throws on the monster sofa.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto.html
January 1, 2013 at 12:11am   
2dogssashatess
let the poor man have his big brown couch. Get rid of the brown cushions on the couch and get some orange and blue ones as other posters have already suggested. I agree with the rug suggestion and getting some artwork on the walls etc
January 1, 2013 at 12:16am   
christmas12
What is it with men with big brown couches :)
January 1, 2013 at 2:40am     
sacapuntaslapioz
The couch is not that bad. Actually is pretty neutral. the placement is wrong as it has been pointed out. ALSO PAINT THE GREEN TINTED WALLS. They make the brown look dirty, because the brown is warm and the green tint is cool. go either for a warm tinted white, such as mascarpone or mountain peak white by BM or go for a light blue or grey with warm undertones such as wish by BM.
Next a big enough carpet, that extends past your sofa in color that pick up the brown and your new wall color. ass some colourful pillows.
then I would like either a huge framed picture or a collection of framed pictures that fill the wall to bring the couch into perspective instead of dwarfing the room.
[houzz=Living Room]
[houzz=Los Gatos Residence]
[houzz=Contemporary Living Room]
the dining chairs are too spartan for the luxurious couch. I would change them to a parson chair or something sumptous.
[houzz=William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape]
[houzz=Shades of Grey dining room][houzz=City Retreat]
[houzz=UWS3]
[houzz=Willits Compound]
Break down the two bookcases you have making a sort of media center. place those in the dining area or somewhere else. I would also change the table to a oval or round table to counterbalance the squareness of the room. No window treaments or if you must have them go for a disappearing one when opened such as a natural shade.

Good luck.
January 1, 2013 at 5:50am   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
abstract print on a wall is a good idea.
Modern style aluminum prints are trendy and low maintenance. Budget friendly too :)

To work with dark brown couch I would go with either pink or blue prints. But it needs to work with carpet you'll decide to choose too.

Here are some impressionistic photos from my online store: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/impressionism

Let me know if you need a custom wall design!

Alexei
January 2, 2013 at 10:19am   
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
More similar items are at http://alexeirebrov.com
January 2, 2013 at 12:08pm