Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Strange half brick wall in entryway
niramiller
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are buying a home that has a half brick wall as you enter the entryway. It is a challenge to think of what to do with it.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billie G
I would get rid of it immediately.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:36AM
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
You could remove it very easily. Do not let the flooring situation hinder your thoughts. You could find an accent tile and add a border around the entry detail. OR if you like the brick but this is too much, you could have the height brought down. You could then top it with some neat planters, still creating a separation, but not feeling as though you have a massive wall separation!
Cheers!
m.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:41AM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Do you have enough wall space for furniture placement etc? You may want the division between the entrance and the living space. Another thing to consider- are you changing the flooring to one consistant product through out the space? The wall could be covered/ drywalled to "blend in" a little more. I would loe to see more pictures of the space to get a better sense of how the space is laid out.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:42AM
PRO
Dytecture
The brick wall looks really close to the front doors and I agree with removing it.

Although personally I don't like walking straight into the living room from the foyer, if possible would be more helpful to provide more views of the room adjacent to the entry.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 8:51AM
rwagenaar
yes more pictures please - also is there a step up from the foyer to the living space?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:00AM
judianna20
Trim it out and add two columns and choose an overhead light that is fun…maybe a star?
Foyer
Star Pendant Chandelier
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:05AM
tborrall
I agree with Removing it. The foyer is too small for a half wall and it will feel more spacious!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:26AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It would be out before I was in the house.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:28AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Please take this out. It was someone else's mistake and it's your chance to fix it.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:37AM
tzromano
It's too high, but a separation from entry is nice. I would lower the wall to bench height and turn it into a base for a bench. The treatment , material of the bench should reflect the adjacent space. I would however cover the brick facing . Good luck.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:56AM
decoenthusiaste
I'm thinking there is a step up from the entry to the living area, and I don't like the brick either. If this is the case, I'd demolish brick and tile to get a fresh start on the entire space.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:00AM
pruner
Replace this with an open shelved divider to the same height as the entry door or to the ceilung so you have display, light and privacy ... but don't crowd it!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:08AM
kperlot
I agree with Pruner. Remove the brick wall and install a decorative see through shelving system in wood -- light weight in appearance. It could be either a partial or full height system. My grandmother used hers to display a collection of beautiful vases. As a child I stopped and looked at the vases every time I entered the house. As an adult, I now collect vases...
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 10:17AM
tennisanyone
Take the brick down. It does look weird to have it in the foyer. If finding the existing tile is difficult, then I would use different tile, almost like an area rug idea to separate the entrance from the living room
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:22AM
niramiller
I have considered taking it down but I do still want a seperation between the entry and living room. I like the shelving idea. There is no step between the two areas so without something there it will feel like walking directly into the living room. No more pics yet, more to come. Thanks for all the ideas!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:42AM
ssandsnj
I would remove the brick wall. Center the light fixture in the middle of the entrance. Would be nice to keep the natural light coming through the windows of the front door. I would put a panel of french window/wall from floor to ceiling on both sides of the opening between the entry & living room to frame the entrance and make it feel more like a separate room but still letting in the light. I would leave a fairly wide opening into your living room. It would like like french doors on either side.... or, you could do shelves on either side if you have beautiful items to display. I would also use a different color paint, texture or wallpaper on the walls to further separate it from the living room.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:07PM
ssandsnj
Also, I like judyg's idea better than the installing shelves. Columns would work and I agree that the light fixture needs to be replaced.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:11PM
yvonnecmartin
I was in a house that used glass shelves to separate the entry from the living room. It was beautiful with colored glass vases and bottles displayed. I couldn't do the same but changed the wood shelves in my wet bar area to glass and now display colored glasses and vases on it.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 12:19PM
jagood
Take it down - looks like a huge DIY mistake. It is in direct conflict with the double entrance doors - which say "come right in" but once inside that brick wall contradicts the welcoming front door and yells "whoa"! The tile may still be underneath it. After you take it down and get a chance to arrange your furniture, decide if you need something done about creating a more private entry, and post more photos. You have a ceiling height transition that seems to already define the entry space, so should be able to come up with a nice design that looks like it is original to the house and complements and reinforces other good architectural features in your living room.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 1:30PM
senussi
I see there is a room on the right hand when entering, what about taking 2/3 of the wall down and have something on top of the rest up to the ceiling?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:02PM
Candace Bordelon
I don't think this was a DIY mistake. I know several people with homes built in the late 60s and 70s that have something similar. It is probably the same brick as the house and maybe even a brick fireplace somewhere else. Judging from the bit of library paneling I can see on the left side of the photo, it looks like a 70s house. You could take the wall down but you'll likely have a bare concrete slab underneath. Honestly, it might be an opportunity to demolish the wall, get rid of that little bit of tile, pull up the carpet, and put down a budget-friendly engineered hardwood throughout after you close on the house but before you move in. SO much easier to do before you move in! I know you want a separation between the entry and the living room, but centering a rug in front of the double doors and a more substantial light fixture athat hangs down a bit will "ground" the entryway, so to speak, even without a separation.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:17PM
niramiller
The house was built in the early 80's so a little bit of design hangover from the 70's. There is a brick fireplace with a diadonal slant to the ceiling in the same room which is a whole other project to be. I am so grateful for all the ideas, many of which I will consider. The light fixture is definitly going (ood placement) and we would like to center it maybe with some kind of pendant light. We will be pulling up the carpeting in the living room. I was just going to replace it, but it might be a new start for the room to go with something else. The exsisting tile in the entry is the same as the kitchen which is on the opposite side of the living room. Not sure if I'd want continuous tile throughout. Thought about hardwood or laminate floors but with the dark wood panels I wasn't sure if it would be too dark. Maybe something lighter for contrast.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 2:50PM