Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking colors in historic 1933 home
njerome09
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are not concerned about keeping it completely true to the period. Could you suggest a wall color that would work well of we keep the cabinets yellow for awhile until we can have them sprayed white?

The entry, living, and kitchen are all yellow and or green.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njerome09
I should also mention that we want to get rid of the yellow walls in the dining and living room. I am not sure if we go to white trim in those rooms if it will clash with the yellow cabinets in the kitchen.
December 30, 2012 at 9:09AM   
gymbugmj2k
i typically use a site like colourlovers.com to create palates. worked perfectly for choosing my wedding colors. I would suggest throwing in your cabinet color (both current and future), floor color, countertop color, and closeby walls (green, you said?)..... and then play around with what goes well with it.

off the top of my head a deeper beige or grey might be pretty.
December 30, 2012 at 9:33AM   
njerome09
Thanks! I also thought a nice grey would compliment yellow and the black counter tops and would look nice if we ever painted the trim white...I just can't handle the yellow walls, trim, AND ceiling in my living and dining room.
December 30, 2012 at 9:39AM   
PRO
Maria Killam
Your existing colour seems to relate to the backsplash and the area rug in the room. I would keep it the same or go lighter if you want a change. It's hard to get excited about a new colour if it doesn't relate to anything. This post I wrote might help http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/05/vancouver-benjamin-moore-colour-expert-are-your-colours-married.html
Maria
December 30, 2012 at 9:43AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Looks like great bones. Regarding kitchen cabinets, white is about as far away from historic/classic 1933 style. I like the yellow cabinets, it is so "that" period and they are fine with a creamy white trim. Have you ever looked at "William Morris" designs, which are as popular today as ever. There are great wallpapers that I would consider for above the cabinets..add pattern, color, and umph. Also a more colorful rug would give the space style. Is picture 2 the dining room or living room? Is the fireplace a fake, if so I would remove it. Everyone is too quick to paint the walls. There are thousands of paint colors. Choose your furnishings FIRST, fabrics, rugs, etc., there are less to choose from that will suit your taste. AFTER that, choose your paint colors, it will be easier as your choices will help dictate the color palette. It looks like a beautiful home, I would keep to period architecture in the home, even if it means re-adding it, and let your furnishings show who YOU are, be it traditional, period or contemporary. Personally I like a collected look, old and new. My best to you and your quest.
December 30, 2012 at 9:45AM   
decoenthusiaste
For something bold, try SW6097 Sturdy Brown above the cabinets and 0009 Eastlake Gold elsewhere. I think they'll both work with your cabinets now and when you paint them, Try white try 7006 Extra White for the cabinets.
Media Room
Smith Designs
December 30, 2012 at 9:48AM   
judianna20
1933, historic? Yikes, I am getting close :>). What style is the house? My growing up house was about that era, but it was just a pretty and simple flat front colonial style.

Any way, love the yellow cabs and the yellow all through the downstairs. Take a look at this kitchen and then look at the rest of the interior. All yellow, white, with fabulous fabrics and pops of the Asian blue and white.

December 30, 2012 at 9:54AM   
groveraxle
Your house is gorgeous, and I like the yellow cabinets. I think the thing that would relieve all the yellow is to paint all the trim a creamy white. You might find you like the yellow better. In any case, any color will be overkill if you paint everything the same. I would paint out the trim first, and then decide what palette you want to use,

The Nob Hill Highrise posted by judyg is a great example, I think.
December 30, 2012 at 10:05AM     
njerome09
Haha maybe 30's is not historic but we are in the historic district. Our house is simple and we like to mix antiques with mid century pieces so our style is fairly eclectic. The yellow cabinets are definitely growing on us so maybe white trim in the rest of the home and keep the cabinet color. The other picture is of our formal living room that you first walk into but the dining room also had the yellow walls, trim, and ceiling!

Here is the exterior.
December 30, 2012 at 10:13AM