Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What's missing?
ane_2176
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Recently purchased a new small 400 square foot apartment in the city. After renovation, furniture, and appliance, I still seem to feel that the place is not quite "done". What else should I place/put but without making it appear "crowded"? With my line of work, less is better because I have no time to clean or re-arrange.

Any idea will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MAlps
I would replace the two head chairs they look like office swivels. Also, maybe a different color on the wall, you can paint the insets oof the wall a bold color and let the rest be like a white "molding"
December 30, 2012 at 9:24AM     
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
can you post some pictures with full room views? It's a bit hard to figure out from these close up scenes...

For sure, your walls are too bare and you need to bring some color down onto the sofa, perhaps some throw pillows.... The picture over the sofa looks too small for that area as well...(and placed too high) - do you have something larger or perhaps a few more with which you can create a grouping?
December 30, 2012 at 9:26AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
With a place that small I would not have committed so much space to a table. What is missing is art. It makes a room a home.
December 30, 2012 at 9:27AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Your art piece over the sofa is too small and hung too high. You could lower it and add two smaller pieces to one side of it, making a grouping of three. Over your dining table, I would place a BIG piece of art, preferably a vertical piece 36 x 54, more or less, or a large square piece. Z Gallerie is a good source, as is Homegoods. And once you get the art, then I suggest you acquire some pillows for your sofa in the colors that are in the art. "Watermark" Abstract Art "Sound" by John Butler
December 30, 2012 at 9:27AM     
judianna20
A mirror? It may make you space look larger by giving the impression of a window by your table…hung horizontally.

December 30, 2012 at 9:29AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I agree with more artwork! I personally love high definition photograph because it is so realistic and uplifting. Your mind can be anywhere it wants to be in an instant. I would choose a theme and do three photos on the wall beside your dining room table! you can choose animals or palace you have been or want to go! For instance a coastal theme, Paris Hawaii , Venice or the Caribbean. Go to Etsy.com and input what you would like in the search engine. You can discuss your purchase with the Shop owners prior to placing it if you desire. I have a photography shop which is nancyhehmann. YOu can use the search engine or just click on Carolina Photo to go here and in a couple of clicks it will take you there.
December 30, 2012 at 9:48AM   
ane_2176
The art piece indeed too small. It was a gift but I am planning to add a big one and transfer it to the room. Any tip in terms of measurement as to how I high/low from top of sofa I should hang? Thanks for all those great comments. Great help idea!!!
December 30, 2012 at 9:51AM   
decoenthusiaste
COLOR is the missing element. If you love the art above the sofa, pull colors from it and color block some of your walls - like the one beside the table. Add color to the bench cushions and get color on the sofa with pillows. You can go bold, moderate or subtle, but add color. You could start with a color block rug too. Blocks of color don't have to be square, so don't "box" yourself in!
Urban Townhouse
Vanessa De Vargas / Turquoise L.A.
Contemporary Kids
Lounge Lake Living Room
Knight Frank LTD
Cedar Lake International Style
December 30, 2012 at 9:58AM     
PRO
I'd hang your new bigger piece of art at about 6" above the sofa.
December 30, 2012 at 10:11AM     
groveraxle
Hang your art at eye level, as a general rule.

I like your minimalist aesthetic, but you gotta have art to make it work. The bigger and bolder, the better.

December 30, 2012 at 10:14AM     
PRO
La Maison Chic
Great art would really liven up the walls and make the room pop. Maybe light fixture could be more dramatic and changing out the two chairs for a more contemporary dining room chair or perhaps a wrought iron look with the wood. i like the bench. Adding color to the walls would also make it more inviting
December 30, 2012 at 10:34AM   
ane_2176
Oh no! Those chairs are really bad idea? Sad. I bought it from Gus*, now I have to shop for new one....
December 30, 2012 at 11:23AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Decor is really a personal choice. I would keep the chairs if you like them. I think they are fine. The color is trendy and someone said green is really in this year. It would be a good idea to repeat the green in your artwork. Have fun!
December 30, 2012 at 11:27AM     
PRO
I don't mind your chairs. You could paint the wall that color.
December 30, 2012 at 12:35PM   
tammyvegter
I like the chairs.
Do you have any of your own photos you just love, even vintage ones from back in the day or when your parents or grandparents were young? You could pick these to have either enlarged and frame them, or printed on giant canvases for your own art on the walls.
It's true, art help gives the home its soul. Pick anything that gives you joy.
December 30, 2012 at 12:56PM     
PRO
ane, I love your chairs... very mid-century
December 30, 2012 at 1:05PM     
michigammemom
Since you mention that this is an apartment, I am assuming that painting is not an option. I would suggest introducing color and pattern with area rugs and graphic art. Take a look at this vibrant room with the Regency rug from CB2 and simple large scaled wall decor.
December 30, 2012 at 1:06PM   
Darzy
These wool "stone" ottomans could be fun in your space. They will add some curves and talks to the stone wall.

December 30, 2012 at 1:10PM     
tgrdnr
Add color! It would make both dining and living room look less cold. I would paint the dining room a dark purple--not reddish--and a large mirror above the table. Add some bright green plants on your table also, to complement the green chairs. As for the floor, I would refinish it in dark hardwood--a cheap linoleum resembling wood would work just as we'll--and put a bright green rug (again matching the chairs) under the table. I would do the ceiling in shiny tin paneling and add a glitzy chandelier over the table. For the living room I would probably do something lighter.
December 30, 2012 at 5:31PM     
tgrdnr
These are some pics regarding my earlier comment
December 30, 2012 at 5:51PM     
tgrdnr
Two more that wouldn't fit in the last comment for some reason.
December 30, 2012 at 5:52PM     
shoopes
I would paint the inset portion of the wall behind the table. Then add 3 tall vertical paintings side-by-side behind it. I agree that the art behind the couch is high and small. The couch needs a couple of pillows, a throw, a coffee table, a couple of lamps for reading (maybe 1 on an end table to the left of the couch and a floor lamp in the corner). Also, a colorful/textured area rug would anchor the seating area. A rug under the table can be a pain with moving chairs/cleaning floors. If the couch wall is the same wall as the one behind the table (can't really tell from photos), I would stay with one BIG piece of art over the couch, so it's not too busy (if you go with 3 paintings over the table). A few large tchotchkes always look better than a bunch of small ones; especially in a small space.
December 30, 2012 at 8:50PM     
hewillneverforsakeyou
COLOR! That wall is screaming for a large piece of art (4'x6') or some paint. Both are easy to change when you tire of them. Be adventurous and enjoy your new place! Congrats!
December 30, 2012 at 9:00PM     
athtex
Color! Agree w/ painting walls- leave glass doors white. Cool space- I like your table/chairs! They can be used as working, serving space, etc- For "artwork" you might consider 3 foam wall panels or fabric covered foam board (DIY)- look on Pinterest & Ebay-
December 30, 2012 at 9:10PM     
ane_2176
Thanks a lot for the wonderful ideas. Definitely a new and bigger art piece! Can't wait to look for one... abstract with more shades of green as suggested. Thanks a lot!
December 31, 2012 at 2:09AM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Mirrors and fittings in light colors may work better. And here are a few curtain photos you may like.
December 31, 2012 at 2:51AM   
ane_2176
I considered all the suggestions. Thank you!
July 24, 2013 at 9:10AM     
Amanda Sell-Sande
That looks great!^^
July 24, 2013 at 9:16AM      Thanked by ane_2176
PRO
one more suggestion, and_2176, now that I can see the dining table and sofa together. I would suggest that you no have all the furniture placed in the same direction in the room. Do you have the space to turn your dining table 90 degrees?
July 24, 2013 at 9:25AM   
ane_2176
I wish I could Peggy. Doing so would block portion of the hallway from the door. Space is quite small, unfortunately.
July 24, 2013 at 10:11AM   
Stephanie Long
Art is always awesome...if you have an iPad, there's a new app that let's you virtually hang original art on YOUR wall. I've found that the artwork is really beautiful. It's called ARTtwo50 (the works are all 250$ original pieces). It would look something like this (except in your space).
July 24, 2013 at 10:22AM      Thanked by ane_2176
PRO
Hinkley Lighting
A gorgeous chandelier and a pop of color can liven up your room instantly. Check out our Meridian chandelier in this dining room:

July 24, 2013 at 12:06PM      Thanked by ane_2176
Pattie Fried
A few thoughts...texture through fabric, highlight that gorgeous stone wall and a rug. Can you paint? I agree with previous comments regarding table usage. If you don't need it that large could you change it for a smaller one or maybe round? I'm seeing a retro look emerging.
July 26, 2013 at 7:56PM   
Pattie Fried
Help, how do I post a houzz photo as an example?
July 26, 2013 at 8:00PM   
July 26, 2013 at 8:07PM   
Pattie Fried
I figured out how to copy one at a time. Here's another one.
July 26, 2013 at 8:10PM   
sondramartina
I love your dr chairs ,i have them too
July 26, 2013 at 8:31PM        Thanked by ane_2176
PRO
ModernistLighting.com
What's missing is a statement lamp over your dining room table.

Currey & Company Earthsine Pendant http://is.gd/wUTPnI
Zuo Bradyon Pendant http://is.gd/DGK5Ca
Artecnica La Couronne Pendant Light http://is.gd/TkLn6u
Zuo Kinetic Ceiling Lamp http://is.gd/create.php
July 26, 2013 at 8:41PM        Thanked by ane_2176
Christy Tay
Maybe a darker, bulkier lamp would add more dimension to your dinning room along with a canvas.
July 26, 2013 at 10:10PM   
PRO
Khrome Studios
Please check into Khrome for some unusual and original chandeliers.
July 27, 2013 at 11:28PM   
PRO
Fine Art Photography by David Lalush
A large acrylic mounted photo would look great in that space: http://www.lalush.com/cprints/
August 6, 2013 at 11:15AM     
sondramartina
I dont think that those Cheery Curtains curtains would work in this case.LOL
August 6, 2013 at 11:31AM   
imdb
Can you place the dining room table out long ways into the room. The chairs aren't bad but can you use them in the living room area, picking up the lime green color in a giant print for above the couch and in several pillows on the couch? If $$$ is an issue, buy a giant blank canvas at an art store and tubes of lime green paint. Get to work by painting it, or scouring thrift shops for three or four same sized used canvases and covering them just in the lime green paint. A mirror for above the d.r. table would work to expand the room as well.
August 6, 2013 at 12:01PM   
decoenthusiaste
The art needs to be hung 5" above the sofa.
August 6, 2013 at 2:27PM