Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Hardwood Floors
bab594
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for hardwood flooring for my modern/contemporary home. I love size, color, finish, and look of this flooring by DuChateau, but I don't love the idea of maintaining an oil finished floor (with 3 kids and a dog). Does anyone have suggestions of another similar floor that does not have an oil finish? Or any other hardwood flooring suggestions for a "clean, warm modern" home. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You can get that look in a prefinished floor. Check you local flooring stores or Home Depot
December 30, 2012 at 9:48AM   
bab594
Thanks for your quick response. I have been to many local flooring stores, but can't seem to find this look. If there is a brand that you have in mind that you can recommend, it would greatly help. Thanks again!
December 30, 2012 at 9:52AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Not off the top of my head. Try lumber Liquidators they may know. Sorry
December 30, 2012 at 10:17AM   
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
For your family, I would suggest moving to a high end vinyl plank that takes on the look of wood. There are some amazing wood reproductions out there. There is no finish to worry about, there is no need to worry about kids and dogs ruining the finish.

If you insist on the "real wood" than you may be looking for "reclaimed" wood from barns, etc. If you go this route, you can probably choose your finish. The "rustic chic" look for flooring is still in full swing so it should be easy enough to find what you are looking for.

Any wood floor will require refreshing/refinishing. The type of finish is KEY to wood. If you go with high end wood with a BAD finish, you are looking at refreshing every 2 years because the finish is toast with so much activity. If you go "medium end" wood (which would do well for you) with a high end finish, you will be much more satisfied with the result. Be careful of some of the "high wear" finishes like aluminum oxide. It is hazardous to the installers - aluminum oxide chews up lung tissue!

What every floor you go with - go HIGH END underlay! That is the key to a great floor. Bad underlay = bad floor! A cork underlay, even under ceramic tile, will increase the "warmth" of the floor. It is also a sound "deadener". Even high end flooring (like hardwood) needs to have the sound toned down. In a busy family home, the floors contribute to sound production (ie. how loud everything sounds) more than any other feature.

Here are some pics of a vinyl floor carried by Icork Floor LLC. It is a vinyl plank that looks like wood but is a high wear/hard vinyl. The brown floor is called "Light Brown Vinyl" and the gray is called "Light Gray Vinyl".

While kids and dog are still active, you may want to look at going for the "look" of the wood instead of the real wood.
December 30, 2012 at 11:11AM   
tiff25
Good luck with picking out your wood floor. The only suggestion I have is not to go with Vintage brand flooring out of Canada. The finish chips off like nail polish and it was not cheap. Horrible wood flooring.
December 31, 2012 at 8:44AM   
Dar Eckert
Maybe a light bamboo would work for you. I heard it really stands up to traffic.
December 31, 2012 at 8:49AM   
cavecay
I would NOT go with bamboo. It dents and scratches, believe me!!!!!
December 31, 2012 at 9:02AM     
feeny
One of the most durable hardwoods for flooring is quarter sawn white oak. You can use a polyurethane finish (done on site for the best seal between the boards). Our white oak floors are 90 years old and still going strong through multiple families, dogs, kids, etc. Their last refinishing job was over 20 years ago, and they look great.

P.S. We have a son and two rambunctious dogs.
December 31, 2012 at 9:31AM     
cwielang
I also recommend a high end vinyl plank. We recently purchased a home on the Oregon coast, and it required all new flooring. I researched wood floors extensively, as they were my first choice. We deal with alot of sand being tracked in and I was concerned about the upkeep on a wood floor. I spoke with a number of my friends, all who had wood floors, and all but one of them said that if they had it to do over again, they would not go with wood, simply due to the upkeep...especially with a dog. The final clincher was when I talked with a friend whose home I had visited repeatedly, and asked about her wood floors, which I loved. She informed me that they weren't wood, but rather vinyl planking. For a year I thought they were wood! Her floors, and my new floors, are by Konecto. As with all products, some patterns and pricelines are more realistic. We chose the 'Sunrise' pattern, which is slightly weathered looking. I installed it myself. easy. A local business carried the product, but I was able to find it for far less on the internet. When I told our local store about this, he happily matched their price, thus keeping my dollars local. Yeah! We used this product in the living room, kitchen, hall, bath and second bedroom. Using the same flooring throughout makes the flow much better and our 1400 SF home feels much larger than it actually is.
December 31, 2012 at 9:33AM   
PRO
Oak & Broad
Feeny is right, quarter sawn white oak is incredibly durable. Bab if you would like to ask some specific questions about it I would be happy to answer. I personally make quarter sawn floors every week with my own hands in our own shop. Many of these floors go to Houzz members. Your oiled finish could easily be done with Rubio's Monocoat. It comes from Belgium and does a wonderful job protecting the floor. Let me know if I can help you. joel@eutree.com
December 31, 2012 at 10:58AM     
PRO
AFC inc
Vertical grain oak could be good choice for the contemporary interior.
The waived strand bamboo may work either . Regular bamboo will not work well because low durability and changing color .
The oil based polyurethane could be one of the best . The good brand BONA Chemi .
The expected surface durability about 12-15 years for average traffic and more if no shoes allowed.
Three coats of finish are very essential for long term durability.
The vinyl may work as cheaper substitute .
The expecting cost of materials very depending from source .
The good price for vertical grain oak is about $4 per sq. feet for top quality.
December 31, 2012 at 1:02PM   
PRO
Lumber Liquidators
Hey bab594!

You could try unfinished hardwood (http://bit.ly/VnH3TV) that will allow you to stain and finish any way you want! Another option would be a handscraped floor (http://bit.ly/UNHWry), which really is handscraped! Many customers say it hides scratches and dents because of the texture, which may be helpful with the kids and dog.
January 4, 2013 at 9:16AM   
More Discussions
Buyers Remorse
Oh Houzz gurus. We bought a house. It was a bidding...
Kitchen Reno Bulkhead Q?
Hi all, We are coming to the end of our kitchen reno...
hot tub color
best color for hot tub
Open living/dining area
My living room/ dining room measures approx 25ft by...
Should I Paint My Cabinets White?
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.