Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Open floor plan help with paint colors
elisad77
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Excuse the mess. I have 3 boys :)
Anyway I have an open plan and a friend helped me pick colors. I love the warmness but I can't stand the choppiness of it. I've halted anymore decorating because I'm not sure about the paint. The yellow room I have a big dark brown sofa, i just had new floors put in, and I have wine and brown curtains. I just bought them an can not exchange them so I need to work with those. How do I create a warm flowing house???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elisad77
Floor
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:59AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Without being in the room to see the best places to start and stop colors it is hard to make that decision. I would however not have that extreme color variation.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:05AM
PRO
Dytecture
The 3 'bright' colors you have are fighting with each other. If you are looking for a more 'cheerful' shade, I'd suggest picking one and go with slight variation in other rooms.

0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:13AM
elisad77
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:18AM
elisad77
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:19AM
elisad77
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:19AM
elisad77
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:20AM
elisad77
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:21AM
elisad77
The brightness and choppiness I don't like. I like warmness cozy... Browns, rust, beiges...
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:23AM
elisad77
Sorry green rust browns. I just don't know how to do it
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:23AM
tennisanyone
OH MY. I would bring everything back to almost a neutral color in the beige family. I don't like the soffit brown color in the kitchen either. Houzzers can help you with paint if that is what you want to do. It is only a suggestion from me. I love your floors and would bring in warm colors in pillows, lamps, rugs and accessorizes.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:30AM
elisad77
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/hgtv-home-by-sherwin-williams/color-palettes/rustic-refined/

I lke these colors but I don't know where to begin, stop, what colors go where. I'd like to keep my wine curtains and brown curtains, my rug
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:37AM
PRO
La Maison Chic
The color are definitely not working well together the tones are off. I would pick the color you enjoy the most of the three and work with that color in accessories, perhaps some fabrics and paint the rest a muted shade of either grey or warm browns . Use the feature color on the far wall so the eye is drawn toward it. if the other rooms have accessories with that color and hue the rooms will look more balanced and flow better. Its a pretty house!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 10:40AM
elisad77
Thanks for everyone's help. Can anyone look at the palette I posted and give me paint ideas??? I like green and browns but I'd like to keep my curtains and rug.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:12AM
elisad77
I love the green with the floor I don't know what neutral color to use in the dining and living area. I'd like to use different shades but the dining area goes up the stairs and I don't want it to feel cramped and dark.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:24AM
Christine
For the first time ever I am going to suggest going with a beige. A very light beige or a antique linen. I think since one space flows in to the other it would be best if you eliminate the choppiness through a unified moderate color and then bring in bursts of color in furniture, pillows, linens, art etc.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 11:45AM
quincyboy1
The existing colors are definitely not working together. I would keep the kitchen color since you seem to have the most area covered in this. The rest of the rooms I would paint in a beige tone. Either of the beige colors in your palette would work. Like the "Bittersweet Stem" or "Outerbanks." Both would look great with your floors. I know you like the green, but it's just not working with the other colors. You could bring the green color into the palette with accents. Good Luck !!
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 12:13PM