Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture layout and window treatment for Master Bedroom
lisakh
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need help re-decorating my master bedroom. It is a long space w/vaulted ceiling and sitting nook. I have a triple sliding door that leads to a small deck on second story. Gorgeous view of lake behind house from bedroom windows. The room measures 23' X 13'. Sitting nook is 11' X 9' including 2' deep bay window. M/bathroom door is to right of bed. I've attached photos, measurements and inspiration rug. I want to replace carpet. Thinking darker, hard scrape wood floor with wide planks. Would love plantation shutters but need the room dark for sleeping. Also windows not deep enough so would have to build out woodwork. I plan to remove pillars. Considering fireplace w/build in cabinets on wall to left of entryway if seating is centered there.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Your off to a great start and have some really great ideas so far. I too like plantation shutters and would recommend then if you can make it work. I do mount them on the outside of the window if I have too. You can then put up some really classic panels in a soft blue to match the color in your rug and pillows. They will help control the lighting in the room as well but still keep the view in tact. The only downfall to plantation shutters is they can hide some of your view. A second option would be to do a natural woven blind. Wide plank floors will be great and yes I think you are right on target with removing the pillars! Tackle those projects, take a step back and look at your room and then conjure up some more ideas, but you are off to a great start!
December 30, 2012 at 10:15AM   
lisakh
Could you also help with a floor plan for furniture? I've attached a copy of my layout.
December 30, 2012 at 10:18AM   
PRO
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
This a architecturally a beautiful room..... I would change things up a bit... I would put the bed into the nook setting it just inside the bay and using a really sumptuous window treatment behind it that will black out the light.... I would use the 10' wall for your dressing case goods and then create a beautiful sitting area next to the sliding doors... you have plenty of room there (you could even put a sofa there!)and I think you will get more enjoyment out of the view when you are awake as well as have the opportunity to open up those doors and enjoy an inside/outside "room" in nice weather.....
December 30, 2012 at 10:34AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Love your room. If you are not doing custom drapes JCPenney.com. Has room darkening drapes. Although Ilike your idea of shutters. If you are redecorating Iwould start with a new comforter first so you can pick one you love! I love to shop for bedding on Macy's website and usually good sales. Croscill also has a website and they make luxurious bedding. If you want new artwork, please check my photography at Etsy.com, nancyhehmann. I can customize the size and media! It is easy to send me a note on my etsy shop. Just click on the word "contact"
December 30, 2012 at 10:40AM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
You could do plantation shutters with a room darkening shade that would disappear in the daytime. Even put it on a remote for bedtime. I love the carpet but its a little small for the space and a great chandalier at the foot of the bed would make the room sparkle. The end tables are a bit far from the bed as well.
December 30, 2012 at 10:46AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would love to help. My contact info is on my website idesignintl.com I work on projects like this on an hourly rate.
December 30, 2012 at 10:46AM   
lisakh
I have thought of that arrangement as well. I agree it would create a real showcase for the bed. Two potential problems. The width is for the nook is only 11' so not sure if a queen size bed would work, and if so, certainly would not accommodate nightstands. Also I'm not sure if you could tell from the picture but, in addition to the rug,
I also purchased an upholstered bed with a tall headboard which would fight with the windows I think. Can't quite visualize in the nook. I do love the idea of a sitting area against the far wall. I agree by placing seating there we would get much more enjoyment from the lake views. We do occasionally watch TV in the bedroom so I would like a beautiful TV cabinet. I think this area would lend itself to a couch, a couple of comfortable arms chairs and TV cabinet.
December 30, 2012 at 10:48AM   
PRO
A queen size ed is 60" wide.... your plan shows 11' width there - so you could not only fit the bed, but also nightstands! (you would have 3' on each side of the bed)... your headboard is solid and neutral... it will be fine in front of drapery - just keep the window treatment relatively simple in its lines with beautiful sumptuous fabrics and it would be better if the fabric picked up the headboard color as well.... (the headboard looks in the 54-56" range in height -- am I close?)
December 30, 2012 at 10:55AM   
decoenthusiaste
Would move the inspiration rug to the sitting area when you install the floors. Try a creamy flokati under the bed. Do the shutters with drapes over them if you have room for a stack back when they are drawn open. Here are some Sherwin Williams colors to consider: 6064 Reticence, 0023 Pewter Tankard, 7027 Well-Bred Brown, 2838 Polished Mahogany, 7598 Sierra Redwood, plus any of the blues from your rug that you can find a match for, as I see you already have some pillows. Blue might be nice for the drapes, and I would not do a valance, especially if you install plantation shutters.

December 30, 2012 at 10:57AM   
lisakh
Peggy you are right on. The headboard is 56" so it would cover the lower two windows and about 4" of the upper window. While the space is 11' wide, the wall on the sides are angled due to the bay window so the space is a little tighter than the 11" indicates. We probably could accommodate end tables just angled for the wall. See floor plan. I am getting definitely getting rid of the valances. Not sure plantation shutters would work with the bed in the nook though. Can't quite visualize this. Plantation shutters, high headboard and side panels with end tables in front of the side panels.??
December 30, 2012 at 11:32AM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You have 2 sets of windows correct? Sliders and the bay. I would not be doing shutters on one and not on the other. I don't see shutters working there at all. You currently have valances and working drapes.....I still think this formula works as it treats both sets of windows the same. Update the fabrics and the style of the valance...valance could be done with inverted or box pleats to make it more up to date...not that there is anything wrong with an empire valance either.
If you had the budget I would do sheer fabric shades on the windows in the bay and the same sheer as panels behind the main blackout panels on the slider.
December 30, 2012 at 11:38AM   
lisakh
Julie you are correct. The difficulty with my windows is I have a 9' slider with the center sliding to the left. Two outside panels are stationary. The nook windows are four separate windows in a bay. They do not go to the floor. Unfortunately, they are not deep enough to hang shutters or other window treatments inside the window frame. I love the idea of plantation shutters but the only way they would work on the slider is sliding shutter panels. They would stack and unfortunately cover one entire panel.
I've uploaded other photos for you
December 30, 2012 at 11:47AM   
lisakh
Top photos are of bay window. bottom is of 9' sliding door onto small deck.
December 30, 2012 at 11:48AM   
lisakh
I have considered simple roller room darkening shades with a decorative trim and beautiful, stationary side panels on both the bay window and slider door wall. Bali has some nice options.
December 30, 2012 at 11:53AM   
PRO
Understood. You have what you have now for a reason...it is the correct treatment for those windows. You could outside mount some shades on the bay windows if you need something there. I would certainly avoid treating the 2 windows differently, as theya re not far from each other as well.
December 30, 2012 at 11:54AM   
PRO
I love the silvery sage color in your hooked rug with the light you have in your room Would be beautiful in panels and inverted pleated valance, with flat trim tape along lower edge in colors also from the rug.
December 30, 2012 at 11:56AM   
PRO
Roller shades are not attractive at the top, so the valance would still be able to hide the tops.
December 30, 2012 at 11:58AM   
lisakh
I have verticals with sheers over them that operate as the drapes. The other panels are stationary and the verticals hide behind them when opened. The problem is that they do not block the light enough for sleeping especially in the summer as the back of the house has a southeast exposure. I also don't like the fact that I have to, in effect, eliminate my 2 foot bay window when the drapes are drawn because the verticals, obviously, pull straight across the bay. But they do provide a consistent look to the windows.
December 30, 2012 at 12:00PM   
PRO
The headboard should still work -- .. I wouldn't set the bed in that far into the bay, just a bit so you shouldn't have to angle your nightstands (which should be placed alongside the bed so that lamps (which should be placed in the center of the nightstand) are in the right place (i.e., the nightstands are not even with the back of the headboard - you should be able to access what's on the nightstands while lying in bed without contorting)... I wouldn't do plantation shutters - the views are too beautiful to block by the sliding doors and it would be too much going on in the nook - I think you want something softer and drapy in the nook with that beautiful grecian column at its foot... in fact, I would do the valance or cornice just in front of the bay windows on a straight line and then the secondary treatment (sheers) in the bay shape... for blackout purposes you could mount simple inexpensive black out shades behind the sheers, additional blackout panels that traverse in the bay itself or, if you have the length (dont know how long your bed is) instead of stationary panels use a blackout lined over drape for the first layer of the treatment (which would mean the bed would sit right in front of that treatment)

though not exactly analogous, I've attached a photo of a treatment which places the cornice and stationary panels in front of the bay and uses other layers around the bay itself....
December 30, 2012 at 12:06PM   
lisakh
Does anyone have ideas for a floor plan if relocate the bed into the nook and use the far wall for a well apportioned seating area with TV cabinet and bookshelves? Perhaps a fireplace?
December 30, 2012 at 12:07PM   
decoenthusiaste
What is on the other side of the 10.5' wall that runs from the bath door to the double entry door? Is that all bathroom? I wouldn't want the bed in the sitting room area due to the column, but I'd consider building a fireplace where the two middle windows are.
December 30, 2012 at 12:27PM   
PRO
Here's photo of a bed sitting in front of a drapery treatment...
December 30, 2012 at 12:30PM     
PRO
lisakh,

How much seating do you want in the room and what size TV? There are some beautiful ventless fireplaces available today - either freestanding or in wall... they use ethanol fuel and burn clean... (take a look at planikausa.com for some examples...) Installing a new traditional fireplace with chimney can be very very costly
December 30, 2012 at 12:44PM   
lisakh
Peggy I understand your recommendations but feel they are too similar to the drapery treatment I have had for 10 years. I was looking or a less formal, less structured look to my window treatments. BTW my bay windows don't have a window seat as seen in your photo. They are simply four windows, the two outer ones are angles to form a bay. The wall goes straight down to the floor. There is a soffit above the bay area. see attached photo.
December 30, 2012 at 12:45PM   
PRO
A less structured look would maybe to dispense with the valances, but then you need to purchase a rod that will allow your draperies to traverse the width of the windows you have. Drapes will stack back from the window, so I feel they a re still your best option. Usually by the time you buy fabric and labor on a valance, you will spend the same money on a rod. For the wide windows you have you will need a traversing rod. A traditional rod with brackets will inhibit the movement of the rings over that distance. As you can see you have a track for the drapes which allows the movement, but not decorative and is hidden by the valance.
You have room in the bay to ceiling mount shades if you wanted them.
December 30, 2012 at 12:54PM   
lisakh
Peggy we must have the same taste because here is a picture of my master bedroom for the past 10 years with drapes and valance above the bed. The bed is on the far wall and the drapes give the appearance of windows behind. I did like this look but want a softer more relaxed feeling for the bedroom now.
December 30, 2012 at 12:54PM   
PRO
I realize you dont have a window seat - was just trying to illustrate one layer of treatment on the bay itself and a second that frames the bay placed in front of it.... I think you would want to cover that soffit in any case which at least commands a valance or conice in that area.... your current treatment with all the swags on the valance I agree is too formal.... you are right to want to go with a more casual style...I think you should keep the lines of the window treatment very simple....
December 30, 2012 at 12:58PM   
lisakh
Julie how about ripple fold drapes with blackout liners? I like the uniform look of the drapes when they are closed, they would be room darkening and I think they stack tighter when shut?
December 30, 2012 at 1:05PM   
PRO
lisa, I think ripple folds might be too contemporary looking vis a vis the grecian columns....
December 30, 2012 at 1:11PM   
lisakh
decoenthusiaste-There is mostly bathroom behind the 10.5' wall and a linen closet from the hallway outside the master bedroom. I've uploaded a pic of the master bathroom for you as well. I am eliminating both columns, pulling up the carpet and considering darker, hard scrape, wide plank wood floors.
December 30, 2012 at 1:15PM   
lisakh
Sorry this thread is getting pretty long but I am planning on eliminating the both columns, pulling up the carpet and adding a wide plank, darker hard scape wood floor. I thinking more of a Pottery Barn, casual, texturally rich decor hence the nubby, looped "inspiration rug"
December 30, 2012 at 1:21PM   
PRO
Lisa, you could do ripple folds, it would be a very different look from what you have, but that certainly does answer the track dilemma and the stack very well and take less fabric than a pleated drape. The track of course will be visible with a ripple fold as they must sit just under the track.
December 30, 2012 at 2:10PM   
lisakh
Julie i'm thinking the track would be ceiling mounted above the bay windows on the soffit. The problem lies above the slider. Because the ceiling is vaulted there wall and ceiling above the slider is not at a 90 degree angle. How would I address this issue? Do they also make wall mounted hardware for ripple folds?
Also, because the two outside windows in the bay are angled can the ripple track be angled as well? Would they two outside drapes have to operate independent from the two straight windows in the center? How does that work?
December 30, 2012 at 2:30PM   
PRO
yes, you can wall mount ripple fold track, and you can ceiling mount it and get it to fit the curve as well. If you wanted drapes on a curved rod inside the bay, I would do 2 panels there that meet in the center , and cover all 4 windows when closed, and when open they stack at the sides compactly.
December 30, 2012 at 2:39PM   
lisakh
Thanks Julie - What about ripple fold track on a vaulted ceiling? There would be a slight angle where the ceiling meets the wall above the 9' slider. Wonder if there would be a problem handing the ripple mount ceiling track? Also, if I used, say a beautiful silk drape with a blackout liner, would 16" wall clearance be enough to pull the drapes off entirely off the windows with a ripple fold drape?
December 31, 2012 at 11:41AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Ripple fold can work but you would need a specialty track from Kirsch to handle the angle. You can also use luminette however if it has a large angle the blinds would be tilt only.
January 1, 2013 at 12:38AM   
MAlps
The wallpaper is really drabby and i don't understand how the curtains match- neither in color nor in style. The bedding is very pretty.
January 1, 2013 at 3:48AM   
kitasei
Please consider positioning the chairs to face the view! It is a lovely, lovely room where one could happily spend days!
January 1, 2013 at 3:48AM   
PRO
Lisa, if you want to give me the widths of your windows I can calculate the stack back for ripple fold drapes if you need. There are different fullnesses to consider with ripple fold so that needs to be taken into account. The fullnesses depend on the fabric you use and the look you want (flatter or fuller with more "curves" in the drapes. More "curves"= more fabric, fuller look, bigger stack back) So there is a few things to consider. But I can give you an idea. For a really wide window I doubt that 16" is enough to entirely clear the glass.
January 1, 2013 at 6:22AM   
newyorkgirl
Different bedding like blue and stuff, new, modern, and white lamps, new modern desk, and light blue walls. VoilĂ !
January 1, 2013 at 7:36AM   
lisakh
Maips and Newyorkgirl - I am entirely redecorating my master bedroom. The drapes, chairs and carpet are going to be removed. I am considering wide plank, dark wood floor, new paint and new draperies. The bedding and area rug are my inspiration pieces.
January 1, 2013 at 8:20PM   
lisakh
Thanks Julie. My sliding door is a triple door and measures 9' across. The two outside glass panes are stationary and the center slides to the right when facing the door. The wall (excluding wood trim) are 16" W on either side of the door. I will try to get the measurements for my bay windows and the wall space on each side for the stack back. If I remember correctly you are recommending only two drapes for the bay which would meet in the center. Each drape would cover two windows. I'll post measurements tomorrow. Thank you again. Can the ripple drapes be hung very tight to the ceiling so that only a very shallow amount of track would be showing? Do you have any suggestions how I might hide the track other than another valance. Perhaps if I paint it the same color as either the drapes or the wall it would not be as conspicuous?
January 1, 2013 at 8:30PM   
PRO
Yes I've painted out ripplefold tracks before and they disappear nicely. The track will show as the drapes must finish UNDER the track in order for them to form the curves at the top.
January 2, 2013 at 4:19AM   
PRO
Lisa, looking at your pictures again, your valances add height and drama to the windows. IN the bay you will miss this as the drapes will be shorter there. You can always decide later if you need something where the valance was....either a cornice or a flat valance.
January 2, 2013 at 4:22AM