Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advice on complicated living room
Richard Leslie
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Our living room in newly purchased house is awkward for us to place our furniture and we are limited by existing fittings (fire place, interior doors to adjoining dining room) as to where we can place furniture /tv.

We not want the focus of room to be the tv yet we need to be able to see it. The fire place can't be moved & neither can the interior doors to the dining room.

Just now my wife is very unhappy about the look and reckons we're going to have to spend a lot of money on new furniture and remodelling the room.

I want to know if anyone has any ideas on making better use of the pace and furniture.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Richard
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Richard! Happy New Year.

You've definitely come to the right place. There are so many wonderful people here who offer fantastic advice.

A lot can be done w/out spending a fortune but you are going to have to spend some.

First question, how many people does this room need to accomodate usually? The loveseat still looks pretty good but the couch looks like it could use a replacement. If you don't need to accomodate too many, you could get away w/just the loveseat & some chairs

Also - do you know what is under the carpet? Is it possible you have wood floors under there?

Could you also share the dimensions of the room?

Thanks Richard!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
December 30, 2012 at 3:15pm   
blondebomb
Hi Richard.
Welcome to my world of not much money for new furniture.
To help the back cushions purchase foam squares and place them inside the cushion between the stuffing and the fabric. This will help the cushion from sagging. You can use the green ottoman as a table just need to purchase a tray that is close to the size of the top. Then I would loose that small table or move it to one end of the sofa or the love seat.
December 30, 2012 at 6:55pm     
Jayme H.
Well, those walls sorta clash with the carpet. A different wall color alone would dramatically change this room. I would try to do matching shelving units on each side of fireplace/putting t.v. in one of those. Move the book case from the wall fireplace and chair are. With t.v. out of corner, move loveseat more centered under window. Move book case somewhere else/and former t.v. stand/cabinet. If there is still room, use chair and ottoman to area in front of french doors. If too crowded, eliminate it. Could maybe add a nice coffee table in front of sofa. Possibly an end table on end of sofa nearest to loveseat/with a table lamp.
December 30, 2012 at 7:07pm     
collettec
Hi Richard, Happy New Year! I agree with the essentials inside that the sofa looks like it could be replaced. The first thing I would do is check under the carpet to see if you have hardwood. The next thing I would do is remove the wallpaper and paint the walls a neutral color, perhaps a cream or beige or gray. I would replace the existing sofa with either another sofa or two chairs depending on seating needs. A coffee table would be another thing to invest in.
December 30, 2012 at 7:21pm     
sheltiegirl
Is there room to reverse both sets of doors so they open into the dining room and hall? If the dining room is used infrequently, this will free up more space in the family room where you spend significantly more time. You may be able to float the loveseat in the door area and free up the window, giving the room a more open feel.
December 30, 2012 at 8:01pm   
athtex
Interesting space- First, I would 'lighten' up! Remove doors - (maybe use the DR one(s) decoratively?), pull up carpet, take down heavy drapes & strip wallpaper- I would do same in Dining Room to make it flow better, (& look bigger). Love seat & a couple of comfy chairs would be great! I would use ottoman as 'coffee table' & really like idea of bookshelves/built ins on each side of fireplace-
December 30, 2012 at 11:33pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about putting on some nicer curtains? Your curtains seem too dark. I've picked some curtain designs that may work better.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
December 31, 2012 at 1:52am