Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for family room
carolinemcdonnell
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi all. I am hoping to get some design ideas from you guys in relation to wall color, drapes extra. I just feel the room Is missing something. The fireplace is a sandstone color, the flooring is oak. I would really appreciate any help. Thanking you in advance. Pictures included.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
The first thing I'd do is buy a larger area rug, perhaps a 9'x12', so all the furniture can be anchored on it.

Then I'd put the coffee table lined up in front of the sofa, close enough that you can put a drink on it.

I would clear off the fireplace shelf and put a pair of candlesticks (one medium height and one short) on one side and then a horizontal decorative piece (see the basket of pears below).

I'd paint the walls a slightly darker shade to tie in with the fireplace better (maybe Benjamin Moore GLACIAL TILL AF390), and then install lined, pleated drapery panels on rods that are wider than the window (this will allow you to pull the drapes back from the window and let them hang straight). Drapes would be nice in a charcoal grey linen-look.

Then I'd add a few new pretty cushions and a cosy throw and some coffee table books and some art.
December 30, 2012 at 3:17pm     
Marcia Makoviecki - Coldwell Banker
Lots of neutrals/tans make it feel a bit - umm dull and dated, especially since your focal point fireplace is the same neutral as your floors, which are the same as the the neutral chair color, and the same as the neutral table and TV stand. I'd either paint out the table some fun funky color or ditch it and go for a painted larger-scale piece...or black to 'ground it' and provide some contrast to all the browns. The rug looks way too small. If you're not afraid of color, I'd suggest a bright apple green for walls, and a deep raspberry LARGER graphic rug. Paint out the boring table in black or deep turquoise. If you don't like bright colors, then I'd suggest rich gray for the walls and big geometric navy rug or pick up one of the dark colors that are in the chair strip and do a geometric rug. Ditch the drapes unless you can find a large-scale pattern that you love and make them higher and fuller to balance the humongous fireplace. With a wall of brick that big, I think the scale of everything else in the room needs to be quite a bit larger.
December 30, 2012 at 3:25pm   
Crystal Day
Are those purple stripes in the chair? I'd pull out some of that color in drapes with a curtain rod a bit wider than you are using now, and throw pillows, paint the walls a green-brown shade - similar to the pears in the photo by Cynthia. I agree, larger area rug.
December 30, 2012 at 3:33pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Actually neutral rooms are very classy :) And adding a hand-knotted New Zealand wool carpet such as the one I've pictured would add a lot of coziness and ground the space, while complementing your striped chair. Small accents of colour can be added in artwork and on new sofa cushions. The fireplace makes a bold statement in the room, which could be compromised by giving the walls equal weight with bold colour.

I understand that this is your family room, where you will be relaxing at the end of a long day and watching television. Therefore a calm, relaxing (yes, neutral!) colour scheme will achieve that. The charcoal grey drapes I described above should have lining, and they will add to the warmth of the room at night so you're not looking at cold black glass that's reflecting the room back to you. The colour scheme you have now is actually very nice--it just needs punching up a little with additions such as I described.
December 30, 2012 at 3:37pm     
carolinemcdonnell
Thanks you very much for those ideas and taking the time to reply. Crystal daly no they are black/ grey/green stripes. I like the idea of a wider rod for the drapes . Thank you Cynthia Taylor-Luce for all the ideas you have given.
December 30, 2012 at 3:46pm     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Ah Caroline, I did it with pleasure. I think your room has enormous potential to be houzz-worthy! LOL Take care, and happy new year!

Cynthia
December 30, 2012 at 3:49pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
That is some fireplace, love it. I definitely agree with the suggestion of a larger rug. And yes, tall panels, hung high in a deep rich color(s). Is that a cell shade on the window? Or a lovely old mini blind? If it is one of those old mini blinds, it has to go! :) Add a nice woven wood shade. And add a pretty textured throw for the couch.
December 30, 2012 at 4:05pm     
carolinemcdonnell
I'll get rid of it. Thanks for suggestions jmittman designs. Do you think I should get a new coffee table and paint the mantle piece a different color.
December 30, 2012 at 4:12pm   
Marcia Makoviecki - Coldwell Banker
Yes Cynthia, but not Jacques C-Penney neutrals. If it's all tan, it's hard to stay awake til the end of the movie!
December 30, 2012 at 4:13pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Sorry, Canadian here--not familiar with JC Penney really... Did I miss something?
December 30, 2012 at 4:14pm   
Crystal Day
Ah, now that I know the chair has black stripes I would throw in a bit more black into the room - like painting the mantel black. I think it ads a bit of drama to the room. I still think the darker color on the wall will look great and add some more warmth to the room (perhaps the color in the chair). Check out this room for some similar colors
December 30, 2012 at 4:20pm     
zenhome
I agree with keeping the room neutral and Cynthia has made some great suggestions. As for the comment above that neutrals are dated - never, never, never! A neutral colour scheme will never date itself .
January 1, 2013 at 11:11am     
More Discussions
Master Bedroom Help!
What color and type of fabric should I use to drape...
Do people still paint their ceilings white?
My grandmother, a lovely lady who lived in a gorgeous...
Console Table Behind Couch & Against Wall
If I want to put a console table between my couch and...
suggestions please.
Cream colored cabinets with mocha glaze. Dark wood...
need help choosing paint colors
I have always hated the exterior of our house. I need...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.