Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Rug Colour help please, plus cushions to unify room
Christine Robertson
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for suggestion about a rug and cushions to unify the seating area.

I am thinking I will use blue as my accent colour, that why I have put the blue cushion on the couch. I think I need quite a large rug.

What do you think? Any other ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Noz Nozawa
What about a cream rug with charcoal accents? With all the sun coming into your space and the white walls, an area rug with a light, neutral base color like cream, with some visual interest, could look great in your space! This is an example of what I was thinking:
December 30, 2012 at 9:11pm     
PRO
karen paul interiors

I want you to look at this photo and understand why it works. All your furniture is black and you have wood floors. Often times it's a better idea to stick with the black and white scheme and move toward pattern with your rug and pillows. Also, note the walls are not a stark white which bridges the gap of extreme contrast with the black and white and the draperies again bridge the black and white with the use of gray. The less color you use the more sophisticated the room becomes. A little bit of red in one accent piece would most likely be the ultimate accessory in such a room, whether it is modern or a little more toward the traditional.
December 30, 2012 at 9:21pm     
athtex
What look are you going for? I see a country cupboard, mid-century dining & more modern seating area? A neutral rug w/ texture, graphic design w/ punch of color or animal print all would look good on floor- I would use textural, "soft" pillows to warm up leather- bright green, turquoise, orange would be fun! Paint wall behind DR table & add patterned drapes to finish it off- Have fun!
December 30, 2012 at 9:30pm   
Darzy
How about this gray zebra?

December 30, 2012 at 9:35pm     
Darzy
Then..funk up the china hutch and paint it the blue of your toss pillows. : )
December 30, 2012 at 9:37pm     
Christine Robertson
I Like the idea of sticking to black and white. I have a table that it is similar to the china hutch, wooden. The one in the picture will go.
December 30, 2012 at 10:48pm     
TanCalGal
The rug you have is OK, but you feel like a change & want to incorporate blue.

If you're going to keep this rug, I'd turn it the other way. Try placing chairs flanking the sofa.

If you want a rug with blue, look for a rug with a blue + black in the design to tie in the sofa & chairs. This rug has a small amount of black in it and also some gray-blue: Hand-Hooked Chelsea Southwest Multicolor Wool Rug

For the pillows: taking colors from the rug and combining solid pillows + pattern pillows think 2-2 or 2-2-1 (the "1" being the small pillow in the center). See photo: Mid-Century Mod - Dallas, TX
December 31, 2012 at 9:06am     
Chroma Natrix
You have such a nice space, great light and some lovely basics to work with in your room. Seeing your blue and black and ivory, I thought of the painter Mondrian and mocked up a few ideas for your space, using a modified primary color scheme.

I painted the walls a gold. This softens the contrast with the black furniture and also minimizes the hutch in the corner by reducing it's contrast with the wall (In addition, I removed the top part of the hutch because that high piece seemed too bulky in front of the window).

The red mirror and the black shelves add some geometry to the dining area that tie it into the rug and seating area. The ivory drapes soften the window.
December 31, 2012 at 3:23pm   
Chroma Natrix
I enjoy the fun, highly textured cushions in solid colors because they add fun organic texture without complicating the patterns in the room. I also like the Ikat pillows if you like more pattern (to introduce some organic shapes).
December 31, 2012 at 3:24pm     
Chroma Natrix
The rugs are both Momeni from the New Wave line. A couple of low ottomans or a long bench ottoman on the end of the room closest to the viewer could add more seating and color/pattern options.
Best of luck... You've received so many great suggestions. I'm eager to see what you choose to do!
December 31, 2012 at 3:26pm     
Christine Robertson
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love your ideas Chroma Natrix and your photos look amazing. I like the idea of removing the top of the hutch. You're correct, it looks heavy in that corner. I think I might look for rugs like the ones suggested by Chroma Natrix and Ollj22
December 31, 2012 at 10:54pm     
Natalie
Hi---I agree top of hutch should be removed. Like this rug and Seattle Mist paint color. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/momeni-nw133/blue/126NW133-2608.html
[houzz=
]
December 31, 2012 at 11:10pm     
Christine Robertson
Natalie that is gorgeous too. I like the gold to link with the floor colour.
December 31, 2012 at 11:13pm     
Natalie
Thanks Christine! I selected it to coordinate with the blue, teal, floors, and to add curves into the space. A touch of femininity. Have Fun! :)
December 31, 2012 at 11:18pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The horizontal blinds look great in the space.
January 1, 2013 at 12:18am     
Christine Robertson
Thanks blindsdirectcanada! They do all we want; open up the view during the day and screen out the light and provide privacy when it is needed.
January 2, 2013 at 2:14am   
Christine Robertson
This is the rug I ended up purchasing, plus the new TV unit
January 31, 2013 at 11:39pm     
TanCalGal
Thanks 4 keeping us posted. I'd look 4 pillows as shown in this photo and add touches of red.
February 1, 2013 at 11:14am     
Christine Robertson
I have to add the finishing touches like paintings, cushions and ornaments etc.

I ended removing the top of the hutch and I am now considering painting it cream/white and just leaving the top wood. If I did that I would change the knobs as well. I have a table and chairs to match, I know they are cottage style but I have softened the wood look with a table cloth and white chair pads.

I have been given a lovely painting that I will place above the dresser.

I want my accent colour to be blue/ turquoise/ sea green to link the lovely views outside of blue skies, blue water and green forrest.
February 1, 2013 at 6:48pm   
TanCalGal
This is similar (4 some ideas)
February 1, 2013 at 7:01pm