Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
3 small pendants or 2 large
pattyboone
December 30, 2012 in Polls
Please help my hubby and I resolve the argument. Should we use 3 small pendants like the one below or 2 larger like the other example. Other island light suggestions are welcome. Island is 9.5' by 4.5'.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Wow Great Place
I love the round globe pendant! What is the diameter of it, as I would suggest using 3 of THOSE, since your island is quite substantial!
December 30, 2012 at 3:22pm     
pattyboone
The large round ones have a 15" diameter. I think they are to large for 3. The smaller have a diameter of 6 1/4".
December 30, 2012 at 3:28pm   
caricampbell
I personally like the globe pendants better, but I prefer to design in odd numbers. I think the better pendants outweighs designing in odd numbers. I agree with the above post, though- if the diameter allows, you could go for three.
December 30, 2012 at 3:29pm     
galinamoroz
i would go with tree.
December 30, 2012 at 3:30pm   
feeny
I too like odd numbers. So I vote for three. I like both styles of pendant, BTW.
December 30, 2012 at 3:39pm   
daytimedesign
Three but I also prefer the globe pendant.
December 30, 2012 at 4:17pm   
Ramona
Go for three. I think you could find smaller round ones if you like those that much better. There are tons of pendants out there. Three will look much better.
December 30, 2012 at 4:21pm   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Because your sink looks centered over the island, I would still vote three, and I would even go so far as to suggest using the 15" globe! Assuming an overall island length of 114" (9.5 ft), I would space the pendants 15" apart, and 20" from the ends of the island, so the centre of each junction box would be at 27.5", 57" and 86 .5"
Better yet, if the store has a return policy, I would suggest you try hanging the 3 in place (with a couple of great friends or some hooks) so you get a "feel" for whether or not the scale works for you. I love oversized pendants, and am seeing them everywhere!
December 30, 2012 at 4:28pm     
Nancy Hehmann
I like the larger one. But my favorite are in the picture I will post a link to below.
I like the ones in the 1st pic and also last. Seems like larger is coming in and I love them.

http://www.houzz.com/photos
December 30, 2012 at 4:30pm   
gharris8
Three would look better. Like everyone else, the globe light is unique and beautiful. I would hang three of those using the guide given above.
December 30, 2012 at 4:34pm   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Here are some examples with 3 large...and if seeing the pendants in real life seems too overwhelming for you, then I would stick with the globe, and do the two.

Indian Grove Kitchen
Classic Kitchen
Showhome 2010 - 2
Lake Keowee: Smith Private Residence
December 30, 2012 at 4:39pm     
pattyboone
Thank you for the suggestions. Now if I can just convince my husband that the larger ones is the choice! One last question though. How high above the island should the lights hang? It seems like larger pendants would look better a little higher.
January 1, 2013 at 2:41pm     
ckanters
I like both, but I think that the first one will allow three which is more visually appealing to me. I also think that it ties in more of the iron look that you have in the chairs on the island. I do not really see the gold in the rest of your kitchen.
January 1, 2013 at 2:46pm     
PRO
Wow Great Place
I usually hang island pendants at about 30" over the island (so 66" from the floor to the bottom of the fixture) if this seems too low, try a couple inches higher, though I generally don't hang them lower.
January 1, 2013 at 4:41pm     
sharleeg
Two looks more "today" I feel,if they are slightly more oversized.Not sure how big those globes are, but if they are not big enough to carry the space, you could easily find similar ones. Best of luck!
January 1, 2013 at 4:59pm     
groveraxle
You have three can lights and three chairs, so I would go with two.
January 1, 2013 at 5:05pm     
PRO
Dyer Electrical Co
Seeing as the island area is a bit darker than the rest of the kitchen, you will need good down-lighting to illuminate the counter surface. The smaller pendants are the better choice. The larger pendants illuminate upward and outward, providing less light on the counter and more wattage consumed.
You will need to determine the spread of each pendant you select to determine the proper number of fixtures. Do not make the mistake of selecting 3 pendants just because it may look better visually. It is the proper spread and level of light that should be the priority in determining the best pendant for your kitchen. 28" to 32" above the counter usually work best with the assumption your counter is 36" above the floor.
January 1, 2013 at 5:08pm     
insideandout
Your kichen is beautiful! The size of your island is quite grand. My thought is always bigger is better on lights. I hate seeing tiny light fixtures that are dwarfed by the size of a room. I would choose three of the larger lights ( I love the ones you chose). Add a dimmer switch to give you flexibility to create atmosphere.
January 1, 2013 at 5:12pm     
pattyboone
If I went with the globes what type/color of pulls should I use? All the other light fixtures in the house are bronze. These will be the only gold in my house. I'm not a fan of matchy-matchy but I do like things to coordinate.
January 1, 2013 at 8:52pm   
PRO
Wow Great Place
I wouldn't worry about the pulls. Those dark cabinets would likely look best in a stainless handle (which would match the appliances rather than the light fixtures), and it is perfectly acceptable to mix metals!
January 2, 2013 at 5:26am     
PRO
G3 Studios Decorative Painting
I opted for the 2 larger ones but it's going to be awesome either. Great space so it's hard to go wrong.
January 2, 2013 at 10:18am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think two. I dont' see where you have provided the island size. If it is not at least 9' or more, then I would not do 3.
January 2, 2013 at 10:57am   
designideas4me
Just wanted to clarify. the top picture is the one you would use 3 of?
January 2, 2013 at 11:06am   
pattyboone
Yes, the top picture is the one we would use 3. The second comment in this feed gives the dimensions of the fixtures. The island is 9.5' by 4.5'
January 2, 2013 at 11:19am   
PRO
STUDIO MB
You have quite a bit of volume in your kitchen. I guess your ceiling height is 10 plus feet. Three pendents or even two larger ones as you suggest would get lost.(see first pictures "lost in space")

If you choose to do two fixtures they would have to be quite large as it appears the globes you have chosen are less than 12" .

I suggest you go for one very interesting fixture that has several lights (see pics)

Good luck!
January 2, 2013 at 11:21am   
pattyboone
Thank you for the suggestion.
January 2, 2013 at 6:08pm   
debscanlon4
I voted for the globe pendants and I am thinking they would look great over my island also . Can I ask where you found them?
January 2, 2013 at 7:15pm   
pattyboone
They are the large globes by Regina Andrews. They also come in nickel. http://www.shopcandelabra.com/regina-andrew-large-globe-pendant.html
January 3, 2013 at 6:46am     
pattyboone
They are the large globes by Regina Andrews. They also come in nickel. http://www.shopcandelabra.com/regina-andrew-large-globe-pendant.html
January 3, 2013 at 6:46am   
pattyboone
They are the large globes by Regina Andrews. They also come in nickel.
January 3, 2013 at 6:48am   
designideas4me
Did you remodel your kitchen or are those the original cabinets? can you tell me what kind of wood and what color they are plz? I kind of like a more contemporary pendent for you since the kitchen seems more modern than those pendent choices.
January 3, 2013 at 10:53am     
pattyboone
These are the original cabinets. This was a spec home built last year. Unfortunately it was completed before we were able to pick anything out. The kitchen has a more modern look but the rest of the house (colors, light fixtures, etc.) is more transitional. I'm not sure what type of wood the cabinets are but the color is espresso.
January 4, 2013 at 7:11am   
designideas4me
Thank you. Looks beautiful. what area do you live in?
January 4, 2013 at 8:43pm   
pattyboone
Outside of Dallas.
January 4, 2013 at 9:40pm   
designideas4me
oh ok. I suspect you have a more expensive house than mine. Your lucky those were standard cabinets. You have a really nice kitchen.
January 4, 2013 at 9:50pm   
pattyboone
Thank you very much!
January 4, 2013 at 9:52pm   
Natalie
I like the globes, but 3 might be 1 too many---unless you can find it smaller approximately 13" would be ideal. Like these for you... Good Luck!
[houzz=Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly 21][houzz=Kitchen]
January 4, 2013 at 10:00pm   
pattyboone
It's been a long time since I posted this. I've had a tough first 4 1/2 months of pregnancy but I'm much better and trying to get a few home projects done before the baby comes.

We ended up going with 3 slightly smaller clear globes in an oil rubbed bronze finish. They are 13" instead of 15". We also went with stainless steel pulls.

My question is: how high from the counter tops should we hang the pendants? We have 10 feet ceilings and the counter tops are 36" from the floor.
June 22, 2013 at 6:50pm     
pattyboone
These are the pendants.
June 22, 2013 at 6:51pm   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Hold them up at 30" over the counter to start. You could go higher if you are tall people, or if it seems too much "in your face." Nice choice, btw!
June 22, 2013 at 7:05pm     
pattyboone
We installed the lights yesterday and the cabinet hardware a few weeks ago.
July 25, 2013 at 7:05am     
Michael Turner
The globe pendant is really nice.
July 25, 2013 at 7:08am   
PRO
Ben Nieves at Lowe's Home Improvement
I like those stools. They look great.
July 26, 2013 at 6:16am