Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with exterior work
tash2115
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Doing exterior of home.. Thinking of cultured stone. Any suggestions. Would like to increase curb appeal.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
I like the brick and it is very classic, especialy for this style of home. And I think sticking on cultured stone on the foundation would look odd, because it would stick out from the brick and could trap water as well.

I would however clean up the mailbox, address plate and cubbie box (?) by the front entry--it looks really jumbled and disconnectected there. A horizontal mailbox would look much better and I would hang it approx. level with center of the double-hung windows. Bigger light fixture could be nice too..

The shubbery is kind of shapeless--I would thin it out and add some softer and taller planting with more variation in color, maybe some ornamental grasses. And maybe some flowers and deeper beds edged with brick, and even an ornamental tree in the front lawn. A nice trellis, sculpture or bench might be nice in the front where the little windows are.

Then I would consider painting the gable and the front door perhaps. The color with the roof and brick will be tricky though. Perhaps an olivey green or ocher yellow would look nice, and is a little unusual for this sort of house. I would try out a big swatch on posterboard to see if it goes with the red/taupe type colors of the brick, roof and walkway first though. The walkway is nicely edged and the grass looks good.

Try taking a straight horizontal though so we can see the yard and driveway.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 3:56PM
houssaon
The tall bush in front of the picture window has to go. Then you need some plants with vertical lines near the octegon and small window. Youhave to take out the row of what looks like arborvitea and relocate them. Even the bushs in front of them need to be pulled away from the house to allow room for new much taller vase shaped plantings.

Can you relocate the air conditioner on the side of the house? Reuse thee bricks from the side. Move the mailbox next to the door.

Add window boxes and shutters on the two window for color - maybe a green: chimichurri CSP-810 Paint the gable a shade lighter than the roof: Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore

If possible, I would make a porch where the steps are extending to the left side of the house with a white pergola over it. I don't think you need cutural stone.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:31PM
tash2115
The ledgestone that I am considering
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:32PM
pamjoyloo
We have a house similar to yours. We painted the gable a khaki color that went well with the color of the brick's grout. We added shutters in that same color. I planted a weeping cherry tree in front of the gable wall with a bed of cottage garden flowers on both sides sculptured to the sidewalk like "S". My next venture is to paint the door a red color. It is white. You could also put a covered porch with white spindles. I would like to stone my gable side only since it also juts out. Some people are painting these and they are looking great.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:32PM
tash2115
That looks great Houssaon.. Thank You..looking at the ledgestone I've chosen...perfect match for the colors & ideas that you've suggested.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:38PM
tash2115
Do you have any pictures Pamjoyloo of your home.
. Would love to see
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:40PM
houssaon
Sorry to hear you had damage from Sandy.

Sounds like the wrong morter was used, if the brick is falling off. If you are talking about an entire reside, then I would look into James Hardie siding and I would definitley include adding a porch. Depending on your resources, it might be time for a new roof.

Here are some James Hardie clad homes: Showhome 2010 - 2, James Hardie and this, a Houzz favorite, Case Design/Remodeling, Inc..

Good luck!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:42PM
claudiann
A lot if the newer homes in my area mix the brick and stone. Is the brick coming off all over the house or in certain areas. I don't think I would do the whole house in stone, maybe just one front side. Stamped concrete is also pretty a nod then there is stucco which can be painted any color and mixed with stone. I think it's important to sort of blend in with the neighborhood. If you did go with stone it would look cottage. It would look nice to build a porch or deck going all of the way across the front. I don't know if you could put a roof on the porch but that would be nice. Your window is high so you could put a bench under it. Shutters in red would look good. Is would also put shutters on the rectangular window on the right to beef it up. If you are going with the cottage look a window box would look nice. Just make sure it is wide and deep enough. I would plant a pretty ornamental tree or shrub under the little window. I can't tell how high the window is but maybe a weeping cherry would fit. Then some hydrangeas would be pretty along the rest of the front. Instead of a plant you might be able to get a pretty light fixture to place there and put plantings around the bottom of it. I've also seen brick washed and or glazed. That changes the look a lot. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:42PM
claudiann
I meant a light fixture on a post.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:44PM
houssaon
Search Houzz PHOTOS, exterior for ledgestone. You'll see that it is used mainly with clapboards and shakes, not as an entire facade. Although there are some with a ledgestone facade, the style is more or less modern. I would not recommend replacing the brick with it. If you go with clapboards and shakes, you'll keep to the style of the home and you have a whole world of color options. I think you will be happier in the end.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:53PM
kitasei
I'm sorry but I think the shutters suggested by Houssaon are a disaster. Frying pan to the fire! My suggestion is to transplant the tallest evergreen shrub to either of the outer corners so it gives the illusion of greater width to the house. If there is room by the front door that is now invisible, put a masonry pot with an appropriately sized evergreen mound. My suggestion for planting the facade with the gable would be another evergreen like pyracantha or firethorn espaliered to an inconspicuous trellis under the smaller window but still spreading as naturally as possible. Grass would be a mixed metaphor and would really make the house look small. If you hate the brick (which is a classic NYC outer borough look) how about whitewashing it for a more expensive suburban look? I suspect that grass has narrowed the walk. Cut it back the turf on either side until you can find the edge of the pavement. With the money you're saving on cultured stone, install some bricks perpendicular to the walk on either side to widen the walk and give it a more finished look. Agree with the suggestion for a small tree in the middle of the yard. For the sake of any future resale prospects, I hope you can permanently delete the picture of the flooding! That's an image you don't want anyone doing a search on your property to pop up!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:02PM
tash2115
Thanks kitasel
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:06PM