Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Barn Doors
bradmatt
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
looking at putting a barn door on tracks for my pantry door. I dont know anyone who has one- do people have any feedback on them. Are they functional or just cute- is two doors better then one bigger one. thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Noz Nozawa
What a great idea -- I LOVE barn doors and am jealous of everyone's homes who has them. I think they're about as functional as regular-hinged doors, as long as you've got the wall space where your pantry is located to accommodate the tracks. Can you add a photo of your pantry? I think the two vs. one-door choice is a matter of style preference (but I do really like the two-door look of this pantry):
December 30, 2012 at 9:07pm   
bradmatt
thanks for your comments- I have the room- we are moving the light switches on the wall too. here is a picture. I love the white wash version you sent- I need to find a place who has unique doors- or an old barn!!
December 31, 2012 at 6:59am   
cavecay
I LOVE barn doors!!!! I'd put them in my house if I could. Search barns doors in the ideabooks and you'll find lots of ideas. :-)
December 31, 2012 at 7:19am   
Ron Harvey
It's a great idea, but expect to pay a premium for hardware, and keep your options open as far as the type of door you want. You will probably not just happen upon the perfect door, but by keeping an open eye at estate and garage sales, you may find something you like but didn't expect. Check ebay for hardware. Also remember to keep the door wider than the opening, since it will probably not be flush with the wall and leave a gap on either end. I found a great old door and added rollers from an estate sale to it, plus the handle from a refrigerator. I will be installing it soon!
December 31, 2012 at 8:16am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love the barn door idea. I am using one to divide a guest bedroom/sitting area in a more contemporary interior. It is a fun alternative and has not yet been over done.
December 31, 2012 at 8:20am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
For the hardware, I would call Callaghan's General Store in Austin, Texas. They have very reasonably priced authentic barn door hardware and are used to shipping it all over the US. However, be aware that it's a trend that will pass and It takes up wall space.
December 31, 2012 at 8:23am     
PRO
Rustica Hardware
We have some great barn door hardware and offer free shipping. There are many advantages to having barn doors in your home. For one although you lose some wall space you will save floor space. You can go for more of a rustic as well as a clean design look depending on the door and hardware you use. Call us for more information http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
December 31, 2012 at 10:54am     
mpoulsom
I love the look too! The hardware that I looked up was crazy expensive however. My uncles built the doors for my aunt and uncle's bedroom closet doors themselves. Turned out great!
December 31, 2012 at 11:16am   
PRO
I just called Callahan's General Store at 512 385 3452 here in Austin, Texas. They quoted about $90 for all the parts needed to hang a barn door up to 6' wide. Add $11 for an 8' door, etc. They are a ranch and farm supply company and so their barn door hardware is the original heavy duty variety made for real barns.
December 31, 2012 at 11:55am     
mpoulsom
that is an awesome price carolyn!
December 31, 2012 at 11:57am   
PRO
Yep! We Texas gals know our way around a barn door!
December 31, 2012 at 11:58am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The rustica hardware is nice and works well.
December 31, 2012 at 12:16pm     
PRO
Hey, mpoulson, those doors look great. A cool idea you and your uncles had!
December 31, 2012 at 1:49pm   
More Discussions
Help with counter top colour.
I am doing a complete kitchen remodel. Have selected...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
how to paint white doors?
Hello! I want to know which is the best paint or technique...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.