powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need ideas for our new living room, we have a den downstairs so this will be a "formal" living room.
pause024
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
The room is long, with a wall of windows on the right side. I think the dimensions are 16x 20
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
I really like the fireplace and the big windows and the wood floor. I would refinish the floor--maybe strip rather than sand to keep down the mess--and go with the mid-century flavor with the furnishings and colors, which can be quite traditional, or rather rustic, or very mod or modern. It is hard to say without any knowledge of your tastes and your existing furniture and such.

A room that large can handle multiple seating areas. If the TV will be in the den, then maybe a bookcase in the alcove could be nice to make this the reading and entertaining room. Maybe even a game/homework table could be nice.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:30PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi pause024 & victorianbungalowranch! Happy New Year!

I really like this one from your ideabook --

Do you have any furniture for the room now or are you starting from scratch?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 4:51PM
claudiann
I would paint the fireplace. I like the beams. Is that a corner fireplace? It would be nice if you could remove the extra stone on the left side and some of the hearth on that side. Then you would have room for a pretty armoire or chair in the corner. Furniture placement may be a little difficult because of all the windows. It might be cool to make this room a library with bookshelves next to the fireplace, a round library table in the center of the room, a window seat in front of the windows and some super comfortable club chairs for reading.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:04PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think stone, or even cultured stone, looks awful painted. It loses all its subty and texture. I would only do it on fake stone if the color was truely terrible, like some of that stuff done years ago in multiple colors.

But this is quite nice. I don't think the yellow wall color does anything for it, and would change that first before doing anything to the fireplace. It is old enough to be considered a modern classic or retro.

I would consider replacing the hearth if anything to something that either blends in or in black. It will be tricky to get the color harmony right--I would be there on site to make sure it works, because if it is wrong it will stick out like a sore thumb. I do like raised hearths--easier to see the fire and a nice place to sit.
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:19AM
mmilos
Keep the fireplace stone as is. It looks great. Just remove the dated brass enclosure and get a free-standing bronze fire screen. Paint the walls a neutral taupe, gray or beige (color pulled from the stone) instead of the yellow. Hang a nice art piece above the fireplace...I'm envisioning something abstract.

Drapery panels and woven natural blinds for your windows would look good.
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:34AM
Norma Sassone
I really like the stone the way it is, but you could use a gorgeous reclaimed hefty wooden mantel with some serious vertical elements on it ( maybe 2). Redo the floor in the latest trend ( that also does NOT have to be dustmopped twice a day like dark wood) - a pickled wood. A grey linen couch and chair with navy accent pillows and maybe yellow or orange in the pattern here and there. A navy and white striped or zig zag pattern area rug to define the sitting space.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:39AM
Norma Sassone
oooopps that is not the sofa I wanted! It was dark gray linen. That thing up there is ugly! hehehe
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:42AM
PRO
plain jane enterprises LLC
The small slice of wall to the left of the fireplace could be faux painted to match the stone in the fireplace surround, both in color and texture. The brass can be painted with black high heat grill paint, an economical solution. Walls, including the brown trim around windows and small brown molding at the ceiling edge, should also be painted, a grey or taupe color to match the stone. This will keep the room from looking so chopped up.
Since the room is long, I would put an L sectional on the large wall, and parallel to the fireplace, with a farm table behind (right up against) the section parallel to fireplace. A couple of upholstered chairs on the open side of the farm table, provide extra seating, for use as a desk or meals, or buffet.
I suggest bottom up roller shades, so you get light, and simplify the look of the windows. Depending on the configuration of the windows, which is not visible in the photo, tailored drapery panels could soften them up.
Natural linen upholstery would be beautiful, with no worry of fading from the sun exposure. Coffee upholstery also looks beautiful with grey.
The challenges in this room are nothing but opportunity. A pearl of a room, waiting to happen.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 11:12AM
pause024
Thank you all very much! Great ideas
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:39PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:23AM
houssaon
I don't like the stone, I love it! I would add a new thicker hearth over the multicolored slate. Replace or paint the fireplace screen black. Agree that a new color should be chosen for the walls, in the same family as the fireplace. Don't put anything on the small wall next to the fireplace; it is a distraction. I would put art on the wall facing the windows or the other unseen wall.

The room dimension are wonderful and should allow for flexible seating. I would love to see the floors a mahogany color.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 1:07AM
insideandout
I think the stone is lovely, it has a nice organic feel and fits the room, leave as is, painting will be difficult to change back if you don't like it. Add a substantial piece of art work on the wall across from the windows. Change the dated brass fireplace cover to a updated screen, nothing too ornate. Paint all the walls white and I would be tempted to paint the beams white too. Stain the floors very dark - ebony. Add white, long strand area rug or a light colored cow hide, a comfy long chaise lounge or two smaller chairs and an ottoman, add an wood side table like the petrified wood tree trunk. Add a heavy weight weathered basket on the side of the fireplace fill with birch logs. I would keep it clean and simple.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:05AM
Cat Rowe
In that space between the fireplace and windows, I would have a professional build a built in bench/banquet/window seat. Have a custom cushion made and add pillows. What a great little reading area! Remove the brass fireplace screen and add a standalone screen.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:00PM
sunni_chic
I say paint the large wall mint and the rest brown to even it out. Then maybe put a couch on the large wall. Decor how you please.
0 Likes   April 16, 2014 at 8:10PM
PRO
Barbara Schaver @ Furnitureland South
do you like mid-century modern? Here are a few ideas. Looks like a great space! see also my ideabook on mid-century modern... I have access to all, and great prices, service.
3 Likes   April 17, 2014 at 8:20AM
PRO
Dylan Fox Photography
If your thinking of artwork, that fireplace with the beautiful feature wall would suit a very warm natural piece. Maybe something like this... But I do get a nice warm cosy feeling in the room. Somewhere to rug up in winter!
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 2:10AM
PRO
The Classy Home
you can put TV on the wall and arrange seating at the window. put L shape sectional to window wall to in front of the fireplace. put the rug on the floor and put coffee table on it. do the window treatment. hang the curtain on it. hang wall art above the fireplace. see living room designs http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=348&Furniture=Living+Room+Sets
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 5:38AM
windingcreek_creations
Perhaps a grey or putty color for the walls. The stone is lovely and I really like the offset of the hearth. That corner would be the perfect spot for a window seat with cushions. Perhaps a window seat with book storage beneath. Very cozy. I also like your ceiling beams. The wood floor is beautiful. It just needs to be polished up a bit. I personally don't like drapery on such a large window. Honeycomb or rattan blinds, or just simple sheers?
0 Likes   October 12, 2014 at 4:21AM
ispoildogs
The original post is almost 2 years old.
0 Likes   October 12, 2014 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
Living room
If I use white crown moulding, and I have varnished...
Room makeover advice to contemporary
Just bought new house and want a contemporary style....
Help decorating living room!
I need help with decorating ideas for our living room....
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need help picking out an area rug for den.
I would like advice in picking an area rug for my den....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.