powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need to replace a half round window in bedroom.
Susu98
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This window faces east and its always been a struggle to find really good window covering to eliminate light - even with great shades there is spillage around the edge. Anyway, window cracked last night! Are there electrochromic half round windows? Or any suggestions on maybe eliminating the window and replacing with something solid??? I don't want to drywall and re-side..
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
What style is your home? Are you trying to eliminate all natural light? Or just trying to minimize it?
Answering these questions will help us. My first thought is to replace the window with the same style, maybe eliminating the mullions and having a solid glass, half round. You could then hang draperies with a blackout lining at the ceiling, or at least 5 - 8" above the top of the transom arch. Depending upon your ceiling height, this might constitute custom draperies.
Cheers!
m.
December 30, 2012 at 4:25PM   
dcer
I just looked it up on google, but couldn't find anything. The electro chromatic technology is amazing, though! Good luck with your search, and Happy New Year!
December 30, 2012 at 4:27PM   
Susu98
Blackout drapes would be fantastic, however, you can't see from the photo, but the ceiling is actually a triangle with the apex above the semicircle, the window is bare cm from touching the ceiling... So that won't work. I live in CT so the style of the house is fairly traditional. I would be fine eliminating natural light, as I have two large rectangular windows below.
December 30, 2012 at 6:47PM   
victorianbungalowranch
I would eliminate the muntins only if your house style is very contemporary. Actually thicker muntins usually look better.

I bet you could Google images of Palladian window coverings, or arched window coverings and find something. Most solutions I've seen involve floor to ceiling drapes or a fitte sheet tacked to a custom frame and gathered in the middle. I've also seen various types of hangings and swags, but they don't do much to filter light.

I have used window film in a number of different situations with awkward windows and was pleased with the result. It is removable too--costs about $25 a roll at Home Depot, or you can order online. I usually stick with the simple patterns, but have cut them into different shapes and whatnot for a more decorative look.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8028809_treatments-arch-windows.html http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=arched+window+treatments

Houzz probably has images too.
January 2, 2013 at 4:17AM   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Wish I had taken a photo, but a few years back, we did custom drapery for a similar situation, in that the angled windows also had an angled ceiling just a few inches above, which followed the slope of the window, so standard drapes were not possible.
I designed drapery with black out lining that followed the slope of the ceiling (I actually created a new pattern with my workroom so the pleats of the drapery stepped down as you went along, instead of angling towards the ceiling at a slant, very cool!) and of course, the length of the drapes also changed, as they were longest at the centre, and shortest at the outer edges.
Anyhow, we basically installed the drapes, but had to anchor them permanently together where they joined at the centre, otherwise gravity would have slid the drapes open! The client then used hold backs to keep the drapes off to the sides in the day, and at bedtime, she'd release them from the hold backs and the window was gone, as was the morning light shining in her eyes!
I'll try to hunt down the photo of the bare windows, and will sketch what we did...it looked fantastic, and she was thrilled!
January 2, 2013 at 5:39AM   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Here is what the windows looked like during construction. Each one got it's own drapery panel, and each was held in the open position with a holdback, and was "locked" in place at the highest point of each window. Sorry I don't have the finished shot, but hopefully you get the idea!
January 2, 2013 at 10:09AM   
PRO
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!

Here are some photos of what I think Wow Great Place has tried to explain. I also found one with shutters for your viewing.
Rough Hollow Study
living room
Mediterranean Bedroom
Portfolio

The Cliffs Vineyards

Hopefully these provide you with some ideas. Remember that the knobs that some of these treatments were mounted on can be of different styles.

Cheers!
m.
January 2, 2013 at 12:16PM   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Thanks, Monique, this is very close to what we have done, but not in that particular application. I have also done the treatment where we have loops wrapped around knobs at equal intervals, but in this instance, we had the drapes mounted on I-beams (simple, basic drapery hardware that remained hidden) so it looked like traditional pleated drapery, without being too fussy or traditional looking with the swags and jabots, and also, not mounted on a curve, obviously. :) thanks for this, though, I did not do a search, just hunted for the pics that I no longer have! LOL
January 2, 2013 at 2:56PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If you don't mind loosing the light a built-in plantation shutter looks great. I have done those in FL. a few times.
January 2, 2013 at 3:02PM   
lc29
I think her issue is light leakage, an east facing window would get the first morning light and I've had plantation shutters in a few houses and you get a lot of light peaking through the edges of the slats. Never had any that closed tight enough to eliminate all light, and darn it, there always seems to be one crack that hits the pillow! Has anyone built a wood inset that looks like a plantation shutter, but doesn't open and is solid - eliminating the cracks?
January 2, 2013 at 3:38PM   
PRO
Wow Great Place
Hmmm...if you need something super simple, then Ic29 reminds me of another solution we used...this teenager's room has the same kind of window, we had a piece of plywood cut to size, installed in the curve of the window ( left about 4" between the glass and the wood for air to circulate), then we wallpapered over it.

January 2, 2013 at 3:46PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@lc29 yes, sorry I didn't make myself clear. The ones I had made did not open. They were just for looks. I did have working ones on the windows below.
January 2, 2013 at 4:26PM