Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with exterior paint
Palm Rushatakankovit
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently purchased this home and I'm not sure what paint colors to use. I like dark trims and earth tone colors but I can also go with the current white trim..I just don't know what to do, Any suggestions? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cat Rowe
Palm! I love your home great siding, stone, nice garage door, and love your eve hips (just added more to my own home) i think a stone gray colour on your siding and same on the garage door with a darker charcoal on the trim would be nice. Good luck. Please let me know what you decide!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 5:37PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Do you think the grey will compliment the stone which is a bit yellow? I thought about grey but I wasn't sure if it would clash.
I was thinking about this house, by E4 Architects, as an inspiration, but not sure how to pull it off.
2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:05PM
claudiann
I actually like your color. I might paint the area above the front door to draw attention to the entry. I would probably go with a pop of color there. I would paint the garage door the same color as the siding.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:10PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
hmm..interesting claudiann. What pop of color were you thinking about?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:13PM
Cat Rowe
I love the photos you attached. Can you show me a closer look at your stone? And would love to see a closer look at your door area.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:30PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Cat, I don't have a closer picture of the stone, but the stone color is exactly like the stone color of the attached pictures above. The door area is very basic..the pictures I provided shows everything there is to show. I definitely plan to replace the entry door with an aluminum french doors with obscured glass. Not sure what color..possibly black, depending on the exterior colors.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:38PM
claudiann
It looks as if you live in a warm tropical area so I was thinking any bright color would look good....a salmon orange would be pretty. What color is in your entryway? You could tie it into that color.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:38PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
I live in Los Angeles..I plan to remove the current plants and put in self sustaining plants like mexican feather grass, to have a more modern simplistic look.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 6:41PM
claudiann
Then will the wall under the house show? You could paint it to tie in to the entrance. Mexican landscaping makes me think of terra cotta.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:47PM
Cat Rowe
Is this a double door or a single door with glass on the right side?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:48PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
double door
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 6:49PM
Cat Rowe
I am nuts over wood doors. Please consider doing your pop of colour on your doors and add some gorgeous hardware. Love your home. I would use small grasses, golfball bushes and agaves
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:05PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Cat....good suggestons
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:07PM
Cat Rowe
Palm, pls promise me you will paint your garage door the same as your siding. This will disguise your garage, enlarge your home and draw the attention to your stone and door. Add lighting at your steps
You picked a great home!
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:12PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Cat..Thanks for your help! I'll definitely consider painting the garage door the same color as the siding...I assume the trim around the garage door should also be in the same color.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:16PM
Cat Rowe
If small, use your darker trim colour. A browish gray may add enough yellowtone to your gray to get the look you are after!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:18PM
Cat Rowe
Palm ~. When time permits, google Jennifer Anstons home in Beverly Hills. There is a double wood door on this house which i think shows similar to yours. A distinct feature. Very lovely
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:31PM
thislittlehouse
Go to the stone work for your colours - identify with a bunch of colour swatches which are the recurring colours in the stone and go for one of the darker ones you find there. :) Elise
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:38PM
houssaon
I like the idea of painting this house dark gray. Look at Iron Mountain 2134-30 and Kendall Charcoal HC-166 by Benjamin Moore, too.

I would paint the wood beams a rich brown: Espresso Bark CSP-390 Paint or Wenge AF-180 by Benjamin Moore.

I would paint the trim a creamy white: Navajo White OC-95 Paint. I can see the square over the door in tandoori CSP-1105.

It would be great if you can refinish the front door in a deep mahogany stain. The wood door for this house is just perfect.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:45PM
Cat Rowe
Houssan. Can you do this one more time? Using charcoal on the siding and garage door, use iron mountain on the trim and wood beams and deep mahogany on the door and above the door. Would love to see that
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:59PM
Cat Rowe
Palm ~ one more idea. Do a stone pillar at the curb using your same stone to replace your mail box
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:03PM
houssaon
Here is a version of Kendal Charcoal on the body and Iron Mountain on the trim. I change the beams to Wenge. But I think if Iron Mountain is on the trim, then the body of the house should be lighter. Of course this is a flat rendering, so in reality the colors would look better highlights and shade.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:19PM
Cat Rowe
Can you change the orange for mahogany?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:25PM
lousyl
I love dark trim and a neutral color for the siding. It will pop! Grey is really popular right now. I love a color called ' Revere Pewter' from Benjamin Moore. Check it out. And then a dark grey for the trim. Then go crazy and pick a really fun color for your front door.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:30PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
those are some great use of greys. Thanks Houssan for putting the colors together in the picture..really helps!
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:45PM
PRO
Los Angeles Remodeling and Construction
If your looking for a painting contractor, give me a call. I offer free estimates. Check out my web site www.swhomeremodeling.com and references on the Internet. (Google and Yelp )
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:44PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Cat...I followed your advice and painted the garage the same color as my siding..thank you!!! It looks great!
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 10:42AM
Cat Rowe
Oh my gosh! Palm! It looks spectacular? I love it too! I would love to see you create a mid- century looking mailbox post of your same stone on your curb. Also, I just had a new driveway put in. I did a tan sandfinish, with diamond pattern cut into it. This would look great for you as we have the same drive/ garage door situation you have. Do yours in a beautiful lite gray. You will be surprized how it updates your home! Your place is looking great. I just love it. Congratulatins Palm! Cat
0 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 8:26PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
Thank you! Do you have a picture of your driveway? As for the mailbox, I just bought a mailbox from www.boxdesignusa.com which I think will compliment the look.
2 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 8:56PM
Cat Rowe
Yes, i do have a picture. How do i get it to you?
0 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 8:59PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
attach it here?
0 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 9:04PM
Cat Rowe
Palm, I just checked out the website of your postbox. They are gorgeous! And, I love your new front doors. Great choice! What will you do with the white door? You are really transforming your home, and bringing it to its full potential. Beautiful work!
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 7:43PM
hazeldazel
Those mailboxes are sweet! I've been looking for one for my MCM house but I want one that's lockable and that's perfect! Thanks for the link!
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 1:00PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
They do offer mailboxes with locks..they do look cool.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 11:01PM
Dee Gould
Im with CatRowe...paint you garage door same color as siding...why call attention to garage when you have this wonderful house to be seen...your front entrance is calling for the attention of a beautiful front door...im thinking CatRowe nailed it so I wont repeat..good luck
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 11:52PM
Cat Rowe
Thank you Dee.
0 Likes   April 26, 2013 at 3:12PM
Cat Rowe
Palm ~ came across a great photo of landscaping for Mid Century Modern. Take a look on my Houzz page in the Mid Century Ideabook. Hope all s going well! Cat
0 Likes   May 6, 2013 at 7:48PM
Palm Rushatakankovit
i love the landscape photos..thanks Cat!
0 Likes   May 8, 2013 at 7:50AM