powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
A smoke alarm that can be turned off without climbing on a stool?
fogket
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are adding an apartment to our home for my elderly mother. I am worried about how she will safely silence a smoke alarm if one goes off. It is a small apartment and one of the alarms is very close to her stove, so I expect there will be some "false" alarms. All I have thought of so far is to install a permanent step with a grab bar on the wall underneath the alarm. Any other ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jfoote65
May want to double check with your local fire department or town hall just to make sure this idea isn't against any codes. But just put the alarms on the wall. (They may need to be at a certain height, but it may be an option). There may also be some systems that have a detector on the ceiling with a keypad for control, take a look at lowes they seem to have some more innovative equipment. Good luck
December 30, 2012 at 6:05PM   
fogket
Thank you for the suggestions. In order to meet code, the detectors can be on the wall but have to be within eight inches of the ceiling. My mother is too short to reach that high. So, it has to be some sort of remote control, which so far I have not been able to find. I will check Lowes and continue the search on the internet.
December 31, 2012 at 4:12AM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Do you have smoke alarms in other parts of the apartment that would meet code if you disconnected this one entirely? Here they are required in every bedroom and within 10 feet of any bedroom door. If you could meet code without this one, I would disconnect it. You can also have a security company take over the alarm system replacing yours with theirs and they can turn it off with a phone call.
December 31, 2012 at 7:04AM   
apple_pie_order
I use a broomstick.
December 31, 2012 at 7:09AM   
More Discussions
New Wood Floor Color?
I'm building a home with site finished red oak floors....
help update my kitchen
I want the change the look of my kitchen, including...
What to do w this front door?
Our door has three square panels and it feels like...
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
Making my bedroom look bigger
I'm trying to redecorate So that I feel there is space...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.