Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for this dated kitchen
JLDesigns
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Here is my latest kitchen renovation. We want to keep the cabinets but the gorgeous wine color tile is going. Cabinets can be painted and new hardware. I'm wanting to do dark hand scraped wood floors and glass tile backsplash and as appliances. What are your suggestions for the awful soffit?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Noz Nozawa
What color are you thinking for the glass tile backsplash? If open to painting the walls / soffit, maybe you could paint the cabinets white / a very light color, then offset them with dark walls to just make the soffit appear to go away. Right now I'm mostly noticing it because of the visible shadows they cast on the off-white walls. But then, possibly the vents in the soffit would be more visible if you painted the walls darker. Excited to see what you do with this kitchen -- tons of potential!
December 30, 2012 at 9:37pm   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Soffits are absolutely no fun...they never really go away. I would do one of three things. Either paint them the same color as the cabinets or pick up a color from your new back splash (if the color(s) you select make sense up there), or hand paint some sort of ridiculous saying that "speaks" to you.
December 30, 2012 at 9:52pm     
Darzy
Agree to paint the soffit the "new" cabinet color and hope it disappears.
December 30, 2012 at 9:58pm   
Peg Silverwood
If the cabinets are attached to the wall and not the soffit then have the soffit taken out It shouldn't cost that much and you would only need a little dry wall and paint. I had the same in one of my home with a drop ceiling. Usually they are attached to the wall. I had a cabinet maker add some crown molding to the top of the cabinets with a chunky rope trim. He was able to match my stain and it turned out absolutely perfect. If you are painting your cabinets you can do the same..add crown molding. It makes such a difference. I had it done in my home I am in now and love the look. You could also cut the centers out of the two larger cabinets and insert glass. I noticed in your other pics you have glass but choose something a little difference that may diffuse the elements inside.There is such a variety of designs to choose from. A dark quartz or granite would be pretty with your cabinets.
December 30, 2012 at 11:03pm     
Natalie
I agree with Peg 100%. Hopefully it's doable. I think you could do the backsplash and counters with the same material (granite/quartz/marble) and perhaps do a different material for the island. Good Luck!
[houzz=Deborah Leamann][houzz=Kitchen]
December 30, 2012 at 11:55pm   
PRO
JLDesigns
I am really wanting to remove the soffits. The ceilings are super high but feel it cuts the space. They have fluorescent light in them. Opinions appreciated.
January 4, 2013 at 5:58am   
PRO
JLDesigns
Remember the soffits I wanted to get rid of?Well here is the latest. We took down the entire wall! It wasn't load bearing and totally opened up the view to the water. More updates to come.
March 26, 2013 at 5:40pm