Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help With Exterior House Colors
rooanddoo
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

We recently finished putting on new Hardie siding and Nichiha pre-finished fiber cement "maple" cedar shakes in peak. We painted body of the house Sherwin Williams Quiver Tan, gable ends (corbels) Tricorn Black and trim Dover White. We like the Quiver Tan and and Dover white trim but are having trouble deciding on final paint color for gable accents, vent and shutters.

To break down our questions:

- which color to paint the gable ends of the peak that support roof (currently black color). Does the black go okay with other colors?

- whether or not to keep the shutters. If so, which color do you recommend?

- what color to paint gable vent (match gable ends/shutters or house color?)

Pics below are of the siding/painting in progress with shutters on/off and with gable vent going from dark brown to tan house color.

Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nicholas Devone
Shutters not needed... It looks more clean and modern w/o them.
Vent paint should match the house color. That's all I've got for now.
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:41PM
Dar Eckert
The shutters don't add anything, I like the clean look of the house without them.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:43PM
claudiann
The shutters are not wide enough...you should be able to close them so they would cover the window. Window boxes too small. They should be as wide as the window. If you fill them with something you might could use two for each window and you couldn't tell it was two. I would leave the vent the color it is. It's not decorative. I love, love the fence and shingles. I would like the shutters if they were wider.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:03PM
houssaon
Can you keep the gable a natural wood look? I like it the way it is now. No to the shutters. I like the black corbels.

I would add an ornamental tree in the lawn centered between the two widows on the left side.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:04PM
lousyl
I kind of like the black shutters...they ground the black gables. Otherwise the gables are the only black you have on the house...unless you can incorporate the black somewhere else on the house?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:21PM
lousyl
You could skip the shutters (if you don't like them) and buy some tall large black planters to place by the sidewalk to anchor the black gables. I really like the black gables...just need black lower down to compliment them.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:25PM
rooanddoo
Thanks so much for the awesome feedback.

Claudiann (and others) - I agree the shutters are too narrow to look appropriate for size of window. I will likely leave them off.

Houssaon - I plan to leave the gable the natural wood look. They are fiber cement and already pre-finished from factory (no maintenance needed). Also, I don't know if you can tell but I have a small ornamental Japanese Maple in between the two left windows. :)

Lousyl - great idea on the black planters! That would really help. I was also thinking of painting some of the porch railing, and/or top lip of belly band in peak black to go with the black gables.

Also, anyone think the vent would look good painted black like the black corbels (gable ends)?

Please feel free to keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 7:19AM
surfor
The shutters detract from the house. I would not use them. Keep the gable vent the house color. Keep the corbels the dark brown or (maybe add a very dark green) if you want a hint of contrast. Your house looks great with the new siding.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:29AM
Nancy Hehmann
I Think if you made the porch post and railing more substantial it would enhance the look of the house. I really like what you have done so far.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:35AM
PRO
Chroma Design
Your house looks spectacular. I guess I'm the only one who thinks you should keep the shutters. Not those specifically, because, as noted, they are too narrow. They are consistent to a home with corbel roof supports and judging by the wishing well, your preferences run more traditional than modern.
And another vote for painting the vent the natural gable color. This is not something to highlight. It should blend.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:03AM
rooanddoo
Thanks for all the kind words.

Carolina - I agree. I think widening the posts and adding decorative trim would help on porch. I have also wanted to add another small peak over front porch to match house peak and use the same cedar shingle. Currently the roof is flat over porch. Do you think a "false peak" or fake peak for lack of better terms, that just attached to front of porch could look good? Trying to save putting a whole new roof system over porch. Any ideas are much appreciate on making porch look better.

Chroma - if I was to get larger shutters, would you keep them black?

Thanks!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:03PM
PRO
Chroma Design
Yes, if you do shutters leave them black. It looks great and ties in with the corbels.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:08PM
rooanddoo
Great, thank you!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:10PM