powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Selling my house - Paint this entry a different color?
hewillneverforsakeyou
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Selling my 100 year old house. Large entry with tall ceilings. Does this color turn off buyers? It is a soft robins egg blue.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ledeegan
It's gorgeous, as is your foyer. No need to paint, however...is that chandelier big enough? Have you thought about centering a round pedestal table beneath it?
4 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:24PM
hewillneverforsakeyou
Thank you for the comment. The lady that lived here before me had a table. I just didn't put one there to keep traffic flow simple for my family. Will note :)
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:30PM
hewillneverforsakeyou
I want to know what you think about my kitchen. I'll list it next
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:31PM
Natalie
Love the wall color and the rug-Gorgeous! I think a larger light fixture would make more of an impact for a buyer. Fresh flowers on the credenza during viewing and that's about it. Really nice... :) Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:33PM
hewillneverforsakeyou
Thank you for the suggestion. Love your chandelier choice!
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 7:44PM
houssaon
Love the wallpaper. No need to change.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 7:58PM
lousyl
The wallpaper is beautiful for the character of the house. It would be so much work to change it! It pulls out the light blues in your beautiful carpet. IFFFF you decide to take down the wallpaper and paint. I would suggest looking at Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. A warm upgraded neutral color.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:14PM
PRO
Linda
The wallpaper is very elegant and appropriate for the house
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:38AM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Love your home!! Where is it?

Regarding the color in the hallway, I wouldn't bother changing it. Serious buyers who are interested in a 100-year old home will be able to look past cosmetic issues such as wall color and focus on the great bones of your home!

The best way to sell a home is to remove all the clutter and personal photographs so that buyers can see themselves in the house. An uncluttered home will always seem more spacious.

Also make sure it's super clean--dust furniture and wash the floors, bathrooms and kitchens, and especially the windows! Dirt turns off more buyers than anything else!!
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 4:26AM
feeny
The robin's egg blue is a very appropriate and beautiful color for the style of your house, and is a popular color now anyway. And while I am not a fan of wallpaper and tend to rip it out, yours is subtle and appropriate. So I don't think you need to change anything about this lovely entry, though I agree that a round entry table beneath the chandelier would be a lovely (but not essential) addition.
Best of luck selling your lovely house. If I were making a bid on it I'd want the rug and the dog too!
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:38AM
feeny
P.S. Just noticed there is something odd about the window treatment on the door, and I can't tell what is hanging next to the door. I'd make that area as simple as possible for prospective buyers.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:41AM
PRO
Chroma Design
Feeny and Diana summed it up perfectly.
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:42AM
2dogssashatess
I agree a round table beneath a large chandelier. beautiful big flower display. That way people get a wow factor the minue they walk in the door. and they will see it as they exit. I think a bunch flowers is great in the entrance, another in the living/family room and maybe the master bedroom.Some nice indoor plants too. Ditch the family photos and any superfluous clutter
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:08AM
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey

paint it dark green or white

regards
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:34AM
Sue Ann Stevens
Beautiful home. I wouldn't change the color/wallpaper as it seems period appropriate. Agree 100% with table suggestion. Don't sweat the chandelier. It will look fine with something substantial underneath and is also appropriate for your look. I agree with removing superfluous wall decor and window treatment. I'm thinking if you put a round table in the entry, the chifferobe may be too bulky there also?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:38AM
2dogssashatess
I agree with hmschoolmom. Get rid of chifferobe if you get a round table in the entry
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:41AM
cavecay
I wouldn't change the color or the chandelier. A real buyer can see past that. However, if possible change the placement of the two pieces of furniture. It feels a little heavy on that side of the room. Can you move the taller piece where the smaller one is? Then move the smaller one to the other side of the door where something is hanging on the wall but have it facing the french doors. Can't see that side of the room???? I agree with Diana, pack up all your personal items and clean EVERYTHING!!!!! De-clutter and de-clutter. Good luck!!!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:10AM
hewillneverforsakeyou
Thanks ALL - I will take note of all you have said. Feeny, that is a Happy Birthday Banner hanging on the outside of the door that you see and yes, if you bought the house you can have the dog and i'd miss the rug - ha (JK Love the dog)
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:30AM
victorianbungalowranch
The rug is beautiful but the colors don't go too well with the walls. Can you switch to a lighter and/or more neutral one? Or switch out the art for something with more red in it to relate.

Agree that a round parlor table would look great under the chandelier, and I wouldn't bother buying a new one, especially something modern. Also agree that moving the big secretary to the other side of the hall might balance things out a bit.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:40AM