powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I paint behind my couch an accent wall?
Andrea Prasch
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So after buying my new couch and mirror I think this space needs some serious pops of color and darker accents? Do you agree? Any suggestions? For the accent I was thinking a dark grey from Benjamin Moore that is leftovers from my powder room.. For my accents I was thinking navy and golds? As of now too many neutrals! Help Please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sueshepard
Thinking that maybe all you need is to take down the mirror which seems too small for the space and do a larger wall treatment - grouping of photos perhaps with black frames - so that it fills more of the wall space. Or if you 're intent on painting, maybe a large chevron pattern?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:56PM
Darzy
How about a wall paper accent? Something like this would look stunning in your space. A dark gray...

2 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 8:59PM
homeshow
Yes a darker color or wallpaper with interesting pattern will bring contrast to the room. Also may paint the tray on the ottoman dark brown for contrast and to match the floor and wooden feet of the furniture. May want to add some sofa pillows to match the wall color you choose brighten the room with colorful flowers instead of white in your vase..
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:01PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
The mirror is actually quite large and looks a lot smaller in the picture. I think it blends to much with the walls which is why it seems so off scale.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:02PM
Darzy
BTW..,.your space looks very lovely! We sometimes forget to mention that! Hey..the least expensive option would be to paint a big navy rectangle around your mirror (couch size sort of). Then as a border to your rectange, tack molding around the "frame" of the mirror and spray paint the frame gold. It will give a BIG art piece to the wall and give center stage to the fab mirror and make it pop. A navy blue tray on the ottoman would pop better too.
4 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:03PM
PRO
E Jackson Design
Hi Andrea, Love your new sofa. I feel that it is a matter of contrast. So depending on the mood you want to go for you could go darker (don't like the grey idea, the room will become cold)... however, my first thought is that you might consider a lighter color. Perhaps the cream color of the sheep skin pillow. I like your idea of bringing in the navy and warm gold. You are definatly on the right track. Nice use of textures. Stefanie
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:05PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Here's a better scaled picture of the space minus the other accessories and plus my dog. :)
Also here is the color from Benjamin Moore I was thinking "Graystone." It's a warmer gray. The current wall color is "Revere Pewter" which is a gray beige.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:18PM
athtex
Agree w/ Darzy- I would paint entire wall, then use contrasting or different shade of same color & frame it out as backdrop for your mirror. This will give it more weight & is inexpensive way to add interest- I love gray, but not sure that would be good choice here. Think about rich greens, amethyst, etc-
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:22PM
homeshow
I Like the mirror! And the furniture. But I think you're on the right track with more color! The design in the pillows is nice too. Maybe you can find a wall paper with a similar theme that you like! Good luck!
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:28PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I like the wallpaper idea although we do have textured walls so is that possible without smoothing the walls? What patterns colors? Any ideas of accessories I could bring in to liven up the space?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:30PM
PRO
karen paul interiors

Something like this wallpaper that is somewhat geometric with a metallic finish, bringing up the earth tones with a touch of gray? You will need to smooth your wall.
4 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:36PM
judianna20
Karen, perfect!

Not lovin' the black throw as it hiding your couch.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 12:46PM
judianna20
Is that one small window or are there several? How about some trim?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:50PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Karen its actually a Peacock color and looks a lot darker in photo but yes I was thinking of replacing it.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:55PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Judy G they are 3 small windows that are hideous that I must live with as we are in a townhouse
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:57PM
lessismoore
Yes on your first inclinations ... Navy and golds would look great in there. But I like Darzy's suggestion of framing out the mirror in navy with gold trim, but I would do a solid navy blue, filling the entire frame area (maybe even doing it on a board, not with paint - maybe a dark navy patterned wall paper in the gold framing with the mirror in the center?). I wouldn't bother going with the gray at all. Love the pillows. Switch out the peacock throw for navy.
3 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:37PM
homeshow
The great thing about the colors you chose in the sofa and the ottoman is that they are so neutral! You can easily change out the wall color and accessories anytime you get tired of them and really change the whole room . Sconces on both sides of the mirror would look nice for a move toward a traditional look.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 3:45PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
So I thought long and hard about this and I decided to do paint only because we do not plan on being here more then 2 years and paint is easy and turnkey. Here is the color I chose Martha Stewart "Magnetite" after seeing it as an accent wall in a room with similar furniture to mine on the blog http://blackdressredwagon.com
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:16PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Painting tomorrow wish me luck :)
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 4:17PM
Darzy
Good luck! We can't wait to see how it turns out. It will be lovely I'm sure!
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 4:19PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Navy and/or burgandy pillows would add something contrasting (and solid).
1 Like   January 3, 2013 at 4:25PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Here is the wall finished so far...I'm very happy with it
3 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:05PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Thanks Greg I plan on incorporating a contrasting solid throw to match. :)
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:06PM
Natalie
Hi Andrea! Very nice... I just now saw your post and immediately thought dark for the wall. SW 7026 Griffin is a color I would have suggested for you, but this turned out lovely. Paint the switch plate same as the wall... CheerS!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:32PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Thanks Natalie! Is this common to paint the switch plate on a dark wall? Should I spray it? I have a paint sprayer if you think that would be better
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:48PM
Natalie
Yes, it is common to paint the switch plate so it blends into the wall color. If you have a sprayer, use it, much easier. Here's some info. :) http://www.ehow.com/how_6779384_paint-switch-plates.html
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 11:57PM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Great thanks! This will be on the agenda tomorrow!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 11:58PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
The wall is stunning in the new color!! Incredible combo! Congratulations. Very well done.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:10AM
alicekevin
If you don't like the three small windows paint the trim the same color as the wall. Or get some stained glass panes in your colours that will make the interesting instead of plain. The mirror needs to be framed out .... Like the new color on the wall.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
living and dinning room makeover suggestions
It's been over 10years and I feel my living room and...
Island lighting sizes
Three fixtures evenly spaced over island that is 10...
Need help with my attic bedroom
I'm 17 year old guy and I need help with my attic bedroom....
Our living room wall
Need help on what to do with this wall between our...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.