Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Exterior Help!
jeremyjones3
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just bought this house, and the exterior seems boring to me! Any tips or advice that you guys would have to help me improve it? I live in AZ if that matters. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
athtex
Would add color/interest w/ shutters on all windows & maybe window boxes on 2nd floor. Paint your garage door! Landscaping w/ color will help & you may even consider staining concrete... Have fun!
December 30, 2012 at 9:14pm   
jeremyjones3
Window boxes? Would I need to put anything in there? What color to paint the garage door? And what concrete would I stain?
December 30, 2012 at 9:33pm   
Jayme H.
Is there any trim around the windows? Is it a stucco home? I think some trimwork would add a lot...wider with a color to tie into the siding colors somehow.
December 30, 2012 at 10:03pm   
jeremyjones3
Yeah its stucco, and I was thinking I would add trim, I like that idea. Any tips for the bricks?
December 30, 2012 at 10:04pm   
Jayme H.
Not sure on brick, have never attempted painting that. It could be covered too if you don't like it. I always start with smaller stuff to see if it works without spending a ton of cash. Then I go from there. Wider trim alone would prob. make a substantial difference. I would keep in mind colors if u could possibly change the brick later so as to tie it all together later. I also would cut back those front bushes...too overgrown.
December 30, 2012 at 10:13pm   
Peg Silverwood
paint the stucco choose a rich sand color would soften the look. Because of your area, how about some great rod iron as shutter adornment on the top windows only. Change your door to a full length glass with some privacy componant outline the drive way with rock that is the color of the brick using a curvature pattern to bring interest to the design. A rock and plant garden would be nice as well.
December 30, 2012 at 10:34pm     
Christi Maurer_Hoehn
I would have some Spanish architectural details put on. Perhaps even considering putting on a tile roof!
December 31, 2012 at 12:06am     
houssaon
I think a taupe shade on the side would look good. Something like: Brandon Beige 977 by Benjamin Moore, taupe fedora CSP-260. You might want to paint the first section the lighter taupe and the rest of the house the darker taupe. This color will look good with your gray roof and the brick, which I wouldn't change. The next thing I would do is paint the window casing and the dividers a dark red or a dark green.

A huge difference can be made in the landscape. I would remove the shrubs at the foundation and plant more in the yard. Make sure that the plant material is native. Brightly colored containers in the landscape will add interest. Moreland Residence, Ritz Model Homes and Arte de Casas/ All Valley Pools.

With a modern landscape and a new paint color, this contemporary home will look great!
December 31, 2012 at 12:34am     
cohoek
I think the house color is fine, the yard is too grey and drab, I would focus more on plants, if thats possible in AZ, I would get rid of the gravel.
December 31, 2012 at 1:44am   
jeremyjones3
Yeah, I originally wanted to paint the house a nice taupe color, but everyone said try to spruce up the outside before I use all that money. Everyone seems to think the landscape needs the most work, that is something I do want to focus on after I decide the house. Should I stain the bricks a darker red? Paint the trim white?
December 31, 2012 at 6:56am   
Peg Silverwood
Check out Serengeti sand with Benjamin's Moore. This color family would fit well in your area and your brick would not need changed out.
December 31, 2012 at 7:08am   
Ryan Sullivan
I live in Phoenix and here is what I would do in order: Xeriscape the front yard. Google it. Don't do grass, its a pain in the ass. As far as the house I'd paint it white, add black shutters and paint the front door red. Leave the brick alone. I'd scrap that carport/shade on the side and/or bring the block wall up and add a double-gate to hide it. Move that downspout off the front of the house, its an eyesore.
December 31, 2012 at 12:59pm   
mmilos
Painting the stucco a lighter color would help minimize heat gain and lower AC costs in Phoenix.
December 31, 2012 at 1:04pm   
houssaon
I second moving the downspout to the side of the house. Awnings like this would add interest:
and be beneficial.
December 31, 2012 at 1:11pm