Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with grout colors please!
Carpenter
December 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm doing a new kitchen, the tiles I got are porcelain and I thought the grout I got was dark and would make the floor look like one big piece however the grout turned out lighter than i expected. Does the light grout color work? Or should I stain it? Any input would be huge! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noz Nozawa
Actually, I don't mind the lighter grout color, but I can see what you mean -- darker grout might make the dimension in the tile stand out more. If you stain it, I'd go for a charcoal! But the floors still look great as-is :)
1 Like   December 30, 2012 at 9:25PM
PRO
Carpenter
Thanks Annie for your input! Charcoal stain sounds like a great idea if i do stain it.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:37PM
ruthmand
I like the grout lines. They add interest to your floor. Are you sure you want it all gray? Sure hope you used epoxy grout as it won't stain like regular grout which is important in a kitchen.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:41PM
PRO
Carpenter
i might wait till the whole kitchen is done including the lighting and see how it stands from there. I didnt use epoxy grout but i was planning on sealing it, would that work the same?
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:45PM
pansy2
I like the lighter grout with those tiles..wait until you see the finished product it may change the way you see things.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 9:52PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would stain the grout but go to the color of the tile. You don't want grout lines to stand out. The floor should be the star - not all the grout lines.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:13AM
creeser
I love your floor! That tile is gorgeous! I do agree with waiting until the whole room is done to see what you think . Here's some photos of floors similar to yours.
[houzz=Washington D.C. Dream Kitchen][houzz=Klopf Architecture - San Francisco Mid-Century Modern Remodel][houzz=Hillside Estate]
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:22AM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree that it wouldn't hurt to wait and how it looks see once everything is done.

Staining the grout is an option so choose a colour that's in the tile and test it first in an area that isn't visible (or on a separte test board) so you know exactly what you are going to end up with. It's always difficult to see on the computer screen - from my screen it looks quite nice but only you know how it looks in the actual room.

It's a beautiful floor! Sealing the grout will help to reduce the discolouration from dirt but it will have to be done periodically.

Good luck.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 4:27AM
Piotr Matynia
Stylized cabinet fronts have their harakter. The floor also has a harakter, the problem is that we do not know what is nicer. In this case, the materials must be chosen so that one emphasized the beauty of the other. Personally, I think that should brighten the floor with bright floor tiles that will complement the appearance of the cabinets.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:41AM
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey

its looking gr8... keep it

regards
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:29AM