Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Loft kitchen/cabinet refacing
gjbjkjrj
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have cheap cabinets in my new loft. The cabinets themselves are fine but the doors are very cheap looking. Does cabinet refacing look high quality or will that look cheap also? I was thinking about white wall cabinets and a black island. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
creeser
I think I might try replacing the handles first. Something like in the photos below.
[houzz=Clayton Renovation]
[houzz=Modern Washington D.C. Dream Kitchen]
December 31, 2012 at 4:26AM   
feeny
It's hard to tell from a photo, but I really love the rich cherry color of your cabinets and the simple contemporary style, so I would be hesitant to change them. I agree that more up to date hardware would help. But if the photo is misleading and you really want to reface them, the quality of the new cabinet doors will depend entirely on what you choose.
December 31, 2012 at 4:30AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree, the longer pulls will change the look dramatically. You will have to be careful with the drawers though as you will have a hole in the centre, but you can fill it and try to colour it with a stain stick that is very close to the cabinet colour. If you choose a slightly wider pull it won't be as noticeable.

Another option would be to paint out the cabinets if there isn't money in the budget to replace the kitchen right now. A very dark charcoal or lighter silver gray to blend with the appliances could look really nice. Since the doors are ver flat and the kitchen is small it might not be too big a dyi project :-)

Good luck.
December 31, 2012 at 4:33AM   
gjbjkjrj
The cabinet doors look almost like partical board up close. So if I did reface them it would look as good as new cabinets?
December 31, 2012 at 5:14AM   
gjbjkjrj
What about this look?
December 31, 2012 at 5:18AM   
feeny
Again, it depends on what you choose to reface them with. If you choose cheap particle board for refacing, they will look cheap. If you choose a higher quality of wood for the cabinet doors, they will look as good as the style and material you choose.
December 31, 2012 at 5:18AM   
Piotr Matynia
Dark colors appearing in the kitchen resulted in a solid fusion effect. Cheap and simple does not mean ugly. In simple fronts can stick your kitchen furniture, aluminum tape, which they add variety and a bunch of metal furniture. Lighten the color of the walls and floor visibility to the cabinet, which should give a satisfactory result.
December 31, 2012 at 5:28AM   
PRO
R J Hoppe Inc
It all depends on what your budjet is. A flat panel door does not nessasarily equate to cheap if it is clad with crotch Mahogany veneer that has been hand selected and matched, I can't tell by the pictures but would assume that all of the fronts are stained and lacquered wood veneer. If wood, there are three options 1) strip, sand, restain, refinish with top coat. 2) Seal and repaint, trickey because what you put on top of the old doors may not stick to the existing top coat. 3) New fronts. If the fronts are plastic laminate or melamine only one option, new fronts.
December 31, 2012 at 6:00AM   
hmschoolmom
I like the warmth of the color now. If you are keeping the white walls, I think the white cabinets would lose appeal. Unless you are going for a starkly modern look. It's a beautiful color against the black counters and white and black wall/stair railing.

New hardware is worth its weight in gold for adding value. I found killer deals on hardware from a seller on eBay and hinges from Rockler. What if you invested in some beautiful stained hardwood doors? Like the cherry you have now?
December 31, 2012 at 6:16AM