Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
renovate outdoor area
jakesparents1
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Settling on new house next month. Want to renovate this out door area. 25 years old.. Need help with cabinets and paint color for wall.
There will be a pool table and foozball table there along with sitting area
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What material are the cabinets? Are you keeping current outdoor furniture? Will you be replacing the fabrics on the seating pieces? If so, I would select that item first and use the colors in those fabrics to pick your colors. Otherwise, I would tend toward the blues in the brick and pool plus lots of white.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 11:35AM
Aja Mazin
What stays and what goes?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 11:41AM
TanCalGal
Ideas: install a bead board ceiling. Paint bead board back splash in a blue matched to the pool tile trim. Paint walls & ceiling to match white cabinets. Perhaps black wrought iron handles on cabinets.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 11:57AM
mpoulsom
I would paint the walls a bluish gray and leave the cabinets white and just change the hardware. Maybe change the cushions in the chairs to a white!
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 12:02PM
jakesparents1
Everything in photo is current owners. It will all be going except the pool table.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:13PM
jakesparents1
i really like the idea of bead board on the ceiling & wrought iron handles on cabinet!!
Cabinets are yellowish. Should they be painted white? What color is the bottom left color?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:23PM
TanCalGal
I'd paint cabinets white.
Jennifer Ott says the colors are as follows: "clockwise from top left: Peacock Blue GLB01, from Glidden; Caribbean Blue Water 2055-30, from Benjamin Moore; Hyper Blue SW 6965, from Sherwin-Williams; and Tidal Teal 5006-8B from Valspar". So I think the the bottom left would be Hyper Blue SW 6965, from Sherwin-Williams.

However, don't trust that color will be the right blue 4 U. You might have to test several colors. Here are a designer's ideas on choosing a wall color: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:54PM
jakesparents1
Thanks! Just read link about choosing wall color. Very helpful!! Would you paint bead board ceiling white, or full color of walls? Which of the four colors did u like?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:59PM
TanCalGal
There R many colors in this area. The colors that cannot be changed easily are: the stone floor (appears gray with some beige and rust & other colors), the cabinet counters (appear medium beige), the pool tile (shades of blue). There are also other colors in the space that cannot be changed easily.

All of the colors that R not going to change, have to blend with all of the new colors. Not an easy task.
If you use a blue as an accent color, I'd match blue pool tiles.

I like a white ceiling & white cabinets, walls a grayed off white taken from the lightest color of floor stone. It's a good idea to choose paint last & hold foam boards up to everything. You might find the bright blue back splash does not work & back splash would be better painted in the off-white of the walls.
Take the furniture etc into consideration, too: dark gray furniture looks good with touches of the blue tile color on pillows and on other accents.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 2:39PM
dwhunter9
I would start with a beautiful outdoor area rug and then paint to match, contrast and accent
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 2:53PM
decoenthusiaste
As first suggested, you might want to select your furnishings and rug, then base the colors on what you've chosen. Blue and white will be the most cool and refreshing. And don't forget some softening curtains to catch the breeze. They can be movable or fixed in place. Although not a lanai, #2 below reminded me of your brick floor color (at lease on my computer) and plants will add so much life.
Contemporary outdoor dining
2009 Southern Accents Showhome
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:03PM
PRO
Seal Tex Metals
Any Ideas about the countertops and back splash?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:13AM
mpoulsom
I would do a gray concrete countertop and a fun glass mosaic backsplash with lighting under the top cabinets!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:14AM
jakesparents1
No ideas yet on counter top, might have to wait a bit for that. Major renovations taking up majority
of budget. As suggested prior, to paint bead board white and cabinets.... again maybe soft grey for walls? Limited budget for mean time out side.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
kitchen flooring
I am back again.....still no decision on flooring in...
does anyone hate hardwood floors in their kitchen?
Trying to decide if hardwood kitchen floors will be...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
need help for my new house
The standard option from the builder is carpet and...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.