Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Inspired room not so inspiring
bptanner
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This room isn't finished (as you can see by the paint), but it isn't turning out quite the way I'd hoped. I need some help. What should I change, except the bedspread/curtains? I like how the distressed door turned out
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
zoey9088
Put more windows in there and open the curtains and put some fancy matching curtains that match the wall color in there and put the walls the same color about a light green Color
December 31, 2012 at 7:57AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The first thing would be a new fan. Use a wood one with a more formal light or even better none at all.
December 31, 2012 at 8:14AM     
lisalovesquilts
What exactly did you envision for this room? I like the blue colour but would it be overwhelming on all four walls? I think the red is a little stimulating for sleep. I agree with interiors international about the fan light. It's a bit in your face and not so elegant. The door has turned out well.
December 31, 2012 at 8:40AM     
Harrut
Hi,
I'd be tempted to paint the walls a neutral colour to give space and more thinking time.
Cornicing the room would help frame it and as interiors intn has suggested, a new central fan.....
Does the view outside permit the investment in plantation shutters?
December 31, 2012 at 11:18AM     
PRO
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
Remove the accent wall and repaint the room one color. I think something lighter will look better. Is there a window behind the bed? If so consider moving the bed to another wall.

Also, what is on the door and trim? Is that a faux finish? Maybe consider repainting it as well to a color that coordinates with the wall color.

Add nightstands with matching table lamps.
December 31, 2012 at 11:36AM   
prettydog
This room looks like it's the same size as my bedroom. I'd paint it all one color. including the ceiling. I'd remove the floor lamp and put in wall lights. I'd pull the bed away from the curtain just a little so the headboard doesn't press against the curtain.I don't know where you live and if you need that fan but I'd put in a different one. If you keep the green bedding, I'd think about putting in a fan that has leaf style blades or something like that. And the plantation shutters would be wonderful too.
December 31, 2012 at 12:19PM     
jagood
You said "except the bedspread and curtains"... does that mean that you want to keep them? Can your bed be placed against the wall opposite the door? If keeping the spread and curtains, are you looking for a paint color to coordinate with them?
December 31, 2012 at 12:47PM   
bptanner
This was my inspiration photo. I have plans to do what was suggested with the nightstands and lamp, and the bed cannot be moved to another wall. What color should I repaint the walls and ceiling if I want to keep my distressed door as well. Also, I'm definitely looking into a new fan.
December 31, 2012 at 12:47PM     
PRO
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
what color is the bed spread that you purchased? It kind of looks green-ish in the photo.
December 31, 2012 at 12:54PM   
jagood
Can you post photos of the entire room? Size of room? It looks like you like dark and bold color - maybe you're just using the wrong colors with the green you already have in spread and drapes. Your inspiration room looks like they used brown spread.
December 31, 2012 at 12:57PM     
prettydog
You know, in seeing your inspiration room, I see where you want to go with your bedroom. Your bedroom might be smaller than the inspiration room though. So, if you haven't given up on the idea of the blue walls with the red accent the inspiration room used, you might think about this... the alcove is probably a converted closet but you could do something similar. They also have a treatment (venetian ?) that creates the diamond pattern on the wall and it's repeated in their bedspread. But the over all color on the walls is blue. You could paint your red wall blue as well but where they have an alcove, you could put a rich red fabric behind the credenza. Or you could put a wall paper up (you can use laundry starch if this is an apartment) and you could copy that diamond pattern in red by taping it off and using a varnish. If you don't like it, the paper peels off and you can wash the walls with water...I did my entire living room this way (covering cheap ugly brown paneling) leaving one red accent wall. I created a stucco look on the paper using joint compound and I've painted it a couple of times.
December 31, 2012 at 1:38PM     
MAlps
Many of the inspiration photos, you end up not being thrilled with, either because of the layout of the room, the lighting, or various other factors. In your case, the bedding and curtains looks really elegant while the walls are deep primary colors. It's completely the WRONG look. I think you should go with a much lighter dressier color paint.
December 31, 2012 at 1:42PM     
lisalovesquilts
As your room does seem smaller perhaps red accents- cushions etc rather than a full red wall? I wouldn't try to replicate the inspiration room exactly just use it as guidance and make it more you. If you really love the blue then work on it and perhaps trim the ceiling with white moulding (I don't know what you call it there). I think MAlps suggestion is valid and if you chose something lighter it would look bigger and more restful/serene.
I was looking at your ideabooks and you have got a certain look that attracts you, there were some themes, darker richer wood, nice textiles- layered colour and pattern, beige and grey/blue that featured more. Bearing that in mind look again at your own ideas pick out the main things that really keep you coming back and put together a mood board. Take a while to let it sit with you and then see what you want to do. I'm thinking a textured but muted coloured wallpaper (horizontal stripes like the ones in your ideabook) might be right up your alley. I'd certainly go paler with it. If you can some bedside lamps would go with your ideabook themes.
December 31, 2012 at 2:20PM     
2dogssashatess
If you must have a bold colored wall, make it one feature wall and have the other walls neutral colors. I hate ceiling fans.
December 31, 2012 at 2:43PM     
bptanner
Server all great suggestions. In thinking ill have to repaint with some more neutral and maybe one wall of accent wall paper or something. Thank you for all the help.
January 1, 2013 at 2:43AM     
lisalovesquilts
Please post pictures of what you do. Good luck.
January 1, 2013 at 6:27AM   
prettydog
I also think the inspiration room has more light in the recessed red wall. It makes it pop out. You could achieve that with a directed light. At least you're not afraid of color. It can intimidate so many of us. No matter what you decide to do Good luck
January 1, 2013 at 6:36AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Hello, good start and great suggestions. My ideas would be:1. Take least prominent color in bedspread and paint walls that cold. 2. Drapes look like they could be fuller. Add two panels in center of the color you would like to be the accent color. Repeat that color on bed pillows but with a different fabric that has that color. 3. Replace Fan with chandelier. 4. Get cheap upholstered headboard so the curtains don't look squished. 5. To make door work in room you will need for some of your furniture to have similar finish. Maybe the headboard? Good luck!
January 1, 2013 at 7:10AM   
jjandhk
I love the bedspread and door. I do wish the curtains could be a little bit brighter--like the door color; and lighter fabric--like more "gauzy". I would also lighten up the room with maybe a half shade of the blue--on all 4 walls; and I like the ideas someone posted about a wallpaper behind the credenza. Do you need the fan? A new chandelier would brighten up the space; and an "open-type" headboard (sim. to below) would again keep the room lighter. I know what you mean about a room not meeting up to your inspiration photos...I think you have a great start...all you need is a little tweaking!
January 1, 2013 at 7:29AM   
bptanner
Is this better?
January 23, 2013 at 9:42AM   
More Discussions
Please help with my lounge room
Hello! I'm needing some help with interior decorating,...
Sofa table height?
We have a chesterfield sofa and I would like to put...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...
Banquet..... Yes or No??
We are thinking of adding a banquet in our new kitchen...
Single guy needs living room inspiration
Hi I am a single guy who has just moved into a one...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.