Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Best beige
elisad77
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have an open floor plan this color is in the dining area and up the stairs. To avoid painting the entire downstairs what beige do you recommend? I have darker floors and white trim throughout the house.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elisad77
Floor
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 8:54AM
Natalie
Are you keeping the green?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:58AM
Natalie
Hi again---like this color for you. [houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:01AM
elisad77
My problem is I like the green but I really don't want to paint up the stairs.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:02AM
sandkshouse
We painted our great room Sherwin Williams "Whole Wheat" SW 6121 and really like it.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:04AM
elisad77
So I need to figure a beige that will work the cinnamon/rust color. I have merlot colored drapes and a rug I'd like to keep.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:05AM
elisad77
Rug

Would that beige work with my drapes and rug? How do I find the paint color?
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:06AM
elisad77
I just dont understand the warm, neutral, green --- hues undertones. I'm clueless
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:08AM
momof5x
A deep cream would be nice.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:25AM
Natalie
Oh that rug is Beautiful... Love the colors---lots to work with. Keep the orange-paint out the green to a warmer hue of green, beige as I suggested above, or even a muted saturated teal (blue/green color). Check these paints in the pics. Good Luck!
[houzz=Beverly Hills Family Dwelling 1][houzz=Beverly Hills Family Dwelling 2][houzz=The Upward Bound House by Vanessa De Vargas][houzz=Melaleuca House]
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:27AM
elisad77
What undertones should I use/avoid...are neutrals always safe??? I have a lot of warm colors throughout the house. I just want to paint the two rooms not a complete remodel.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:30AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
If you are happy with the russet red going up the stairs then I agree a neutral taupe or wheat color would be a better color transition then the green walls. Also the colors you mentioned that you like and have in your drapes and rug will go better with a neutral color than the green. I know this is opening up a can of worms but whenever you do repaint the woodwork I would choose a warmer white like Benjamin Moore Navajo white or Linen white for all the wood work.
3 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:31AM
elisad77
Natalie I love the ideas you posted but my concern is that it's such an open plan that all the different colors make the house look choppy.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:35AM
Natalie
The undertone you need for balance is an ash, but your paint color should be warm. Perhaps the best example goes back to my first pic I posted. Look at the wall color-it looks warm. Now look at the floor, the brown chair and burnt orange pillows----notice how the walls have a little gray/ash to them? That's what you need there. :) Warm with ash undertone. Sharing more pics of that space...[houzz=Orange Accents in Traditional Decor][houzz=Parisian Themed Young Girls' Bedroom][houzz=Four Poster Bed with Red, Blue and White Accents][houzz=Tabletop Styling]
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:41AM
Natalie
Ok, the green is wrong and so is the yellow-the orange is Great! A light color is needed... Paint the living room a light color-hang window panels green, orange, or teal on the window. If the yellow I'm seeing with the FP is only on that wall and used as an accent-I suggest painting that a teal. I hope this helps you. :)
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 9:46AM
elisad77
I have wine drapes in the "yellow" room. How do I find the paint color for first photo? I'm sorry I'm still confused with ash and warm : /
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:56AM
elisad77
My walls round off so I'd like to paint mantle a muted teal
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 9:58AM
victorianbungalowranch
I would keep the rust bug paint out the yellow and the green in a creamy color similar to your countertop but a bit darker, but which blends in with your fireplace. It will be tricky to get the right color balance. Try big pieces of postboard painted in different tone. You may need to go to a slightly green hue. It is hard to tell in the photos, but you have a variety of cream beige and taupes to work with in the rug that might work, but you have to try each one with the different surfaces to see what works.

It is hard to tell until you get the color right next to what you have to work with, but it looks like your counters and most of your colors are warm and have a yellow cast, but the fireplace is more greenish and cooler.

I agree that new trim color would help too.

Here is a good link on how to pick beige:
http://www.mariakillam.com/2009/02/vancouver-colour-expert-reveals-what-everyone-should-know-about-beige.html
http://www.mariakillam.com/2012/12/understandingundertones.html
2 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:04AM
elisad77
Sw wool skein for the wall??
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:33AM
elisad77
Ok I went to lowes and I'm just overwhelmed. It didn't help that I had to drag my kids with. I did locate the actual paint color to my kitchen area

Dunn Edwards cedar grove
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:13PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
SW Nomadic Desert will look great with your rug colors.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 1:22PM
elisad77
My concern is making the house too peachy pink. Since I absolutely refuse to paint the "cedar grove" at this point. I need to find something that will work with that color. I have the hardest time looking at the paint samples and picturing the whole thing completed.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:31PM
elisad77
This what I need to work around.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 1:33PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Can't get the chip to save as jpeg. The reason that I recommended Nomadic Desert is that I have it in a room with a red/rust/brown brick (this is our office and part of the walls are brick) and brazilian cherry floor. It picks up the color well. We also have some very muted yellow/cream colored display boards and a chiaro backsplash with cornsilk grout and it looks good with these colors as well. A client has it in her home and she has medium blues, mauve, linen tones and a golden oak hardwood floor and it looks fine with those colors. Seems to be versatile. May not work for you, but you could try a test board.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 1:46PM
Christine
I love the green. You could go Green all the way through and paint all the trim and doors a bright white. With that color scheme set I would suggest you rip up the rug on the stairs. It seems to be past it's shelf life and then replace it with a runner that pops. The first sample I give is a bit bodacious but you can choose something that wows or something a little more classic that would boost the oomph factor of th paint, trim and floors.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 2:06PM
Natalie
Hi again. Paint colors for you---all Ben Moore. 1534 Rodeo, 1535 Seattle Mist, and HC-172 Revere Pewter---think of these as your neutral. Possible blue/teal hues---719 Hemlock, 720 Bella Blue, 711 Boca Raton Blue, and 712 Fort Pierce Green. Trim: Decorators White. Drapes in the living... Inspirational pics for fabrics, wallpaper, chair, and pillows... Refer to that Gorgeous rug for accessories and such and you won't go wrong. Keep us posted. Good Luck!
[houzz=Spice Route ~ Fabric Swatch][houzz=Waverly Olana Oxf Onyx Fabric][houzz=Deco Medallion Hidden Tab Panels][houzz=][houzz=Geo Pillow, Apple Green][houzz=Modern Organic Pillow - Raindrops Chocolate[houzz=Modern Organic Pillow - Mum]contemporary-pillows-san-francisco][houzz=[houzz=Old Hickory Tannery Darra Teal Chair]houzz=Kew WGC-150 Wallpaper]Modern Organic Pillow - Raindrops Mandarin][
3 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 4:55PM
elisad77
Love love LOVE IT ALL! Thanks so much for your help! I love the teals with the neutral and pops of red!
3 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:30PM
Natalie
I'm so glad to hear that... I love it too... :) Looking forward to seeing the transformation. Have Fun!
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 5:47PM
elisad77
I really appreciate that. I know it took some time out of your day to do that for me. Thanks so much! I love it so much that now really considering painting over the clay/rust color with one of those teals and maybe an accent wall in the front and back rooms to make the house flow.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 6:02PM
Natalie
LOL! Start by painting the living room the neutral color and adding fabric panels to windows. See how you like it for a few days before changing out the kitchen color. I think perhaps you should balance some of the warm tones in the kitchen by adding some cool accessories. Soft teal lamp shades on the chandelier would look super nice. Try some white dishes/platters filled with apples/fresh flowers---maybe slipcover your chairs. Lots of options. Paint the LR first-then move forward. :)[houzz=Contemporary Blue Moroccan Tile Drum Shade 13x14x11 (Spider)][houzz=Centsational girl][houzz=Living Room]
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 6:43PM
elisad77
That's my problem. I'm always in a rush. I need to just slowdown. I really like how the teal, browns, wine in my rug look and I'd like to use those. So when I paint the two rooms neutral and the fireplace mantle teal. I just use teal accents throughout the house to pull it in? I also have a half bath (u can see the door in the 1st pic) that inside is a raisin/wine color I never repainted. Should that be the neutral with accent colors?
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 7:22PM
elisad77
Sorry I know it's not the best pic (iPad)
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:25PM
Natalie
I too like to rush things-that way things get done. :)
As I said, paint the LR first-add drapes. Inject pops of teal in the Kitchen and live with those changes for a few days. If you're bored, paint the raisin bathroom one of the teal hues I suggested-blues and greens are very relaxing and nice for a bathroom. When you get a moment, could you snap a pic of that yellow wall in the LR so I can get an idea how it looks? Thanks![houzz=Carson Poetzl, Inc.][houzz=Custom Home in St. Petersburg, FL]
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:32PM
Natalie
That photo is so hard to see. Upload pics tomorrow in better lighting. :) I'll check back with you...
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 7:38PM
elisad77
Dining
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:54PM
elisad77
Living area
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 7:58PM
elisad77
Fireplace toys :)
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:02PM
elisad77
I like warmness for sure :) but I love to add teal in too. I just didn't know how.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 8:04PM
Natalie
Sweet-the little one. :)
Yes, the yellow must be painted... The window treatments should be beefed-up some, panels need to hang straight. I cannot really see the color well, so tomorrow if you will, take more pics I can determine if they will work. The sheers I would do away with. Not sure about the mirror over the sofa as it reflects the kitchen which is not necessarily something you should see double of. Perhaps switching places with the art over the fireplace would be better. Looks like you could add a few lamps and a coffee table or ottoman. For now, leave the mantel the color it is. The teal can be introduced with accessories. :)
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 8:14PM
elisad77
Thanks! The art I was planning to move in place of the mirror. I wanted to put up a oversized clock above the fireplace. Since I wasn't sure which direction I was going I just stopped everything.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 8:35PM
elisad77
Oh and I have a coffee table, end tables but I moved them because the baby just started to walk and the kids didn't have room.
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 8:37PM
elisad77
Thanks for all your help but now I'm thinkiking I'm not in love with the clay color so does it make sense to work around it??? Probably not. What's more important is colors that I won't get bored with and colors that will compliment my couches, rug, floor, and molding I have through out the house. The curtains I can return for store credit. I love the colors you selected for me. The front room gets very little light, dining and family room get much more sunlight. Dammit! I just don't know what to do. I guess I should pull colors from my rug, but I'd like different colors for each room subtle changes.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 10:13AM
Jayme H.
Neutrals are can be beautiful and look seamless with open floor plans....I really like the grey neutral wall colors Natalie posted.
2 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:22AM
elisad77
On my way to pick up samples!
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 10:37AM
elisad77
Ok. I got a sample of pewter revere the others they didn't have samples. I did pick up another sample that caught my eye it was Ashley gray. I did however get paint chips for all of the colors. I really like them! I really want to change the clay to one of these blues.
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 12:58PM
elisad77
Are these considered warm neutrals..lol or can neutrals be just that? Either way warm/cool?
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:04PM
elisad77
Pewter
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 1:08PM
elisad77
Ashley gray and revere pewter
0 Likes   January 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
Natalie
I just popped in.
Can you tape the samples above the FP and snap a pic in natural light? I'll tell you which ones look best.
1 Like   January 4, 2013 at 5:39PM
elisad77
still a little early this room gets most of its light in the afternoon but i wanted to give you an idea.
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:03AM
elisad77
the 3 you picked are the top 3
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:04AM
elisad77
the house across the street the sun hits it and it glares into my front window. I need a rug in the front room since the light glares onto the floor and creates weird lighting. I haven't bought and window treatments for the room since i want to figure the paint out first. The only thing in that room are my couches. No rug, curtains, art....NOTHING lol
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:08AM
elisad77
another if that helps explaining the front room lighting
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 10:12AM
elisad77
more light
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:10PM
elisad77
green room
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:12PM
elisad77
stairway
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:14PM
elisad77
kitchen eventually will get refaced and new countertops, backsplash, stainless appliances
0 Likes   January 5, 2013 at 2:16PM
elisad77
Sorry I didn't get paint chips.... They only had the small sample cards. I'll call a few places to see if the samples are available or the actual chips
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 10:23AM
Natalie
Hi! Not to worry, I can see these pretty good. OK, it looks as though the 2nd and 3rd color on the strip of 7 are the best choices. I favor the 3rd, but it could be too dark as I'm looking at it against the intense yellow. :) Could you tape the same strip in the living and kitchen spaces and snap pics? Only then can I give you a sure color.
Do you have an idea of what cab/counter/backsplash combo you intend to redo the kitchen in? You may want to keep it all neutral and inject some color with a backsplash. Just a thought. Talk soon. :)

[houzz=
]
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 11:20AM
elisad77
From my left to right rodeo Seattle mist northern cliffs revere pewter :)
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:36AM
elisad77
The first three colors were the strip of 7 I just put revere pewter after it.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:37AM
elisad77
In the natural light :)
I have not thought of the kitchen yet lol it's too much for me
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:50AM
rtist9
I really would choose a light cream with a gloss. Then add artwork with frames same colors as the floor. I would also add one touch of tiger maybe a runner. Because of the beige walls and dark brown floors and white trim you will have going on.Just a little animal print is a chic must have for this hall/entry way.Please show us when your done.You could also get a light lavendar .It would definetly be another awesome choice if beige is not making you jump for joy.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 11:51AM
Natalie
I like both the Seattle Mist and Northern Cliffs---favor the NC for the kitchen/family room (I like deep color) and the SM for the living room but you could do it all the SM and it would look Fabulous with colorful accents... Looking forward to seeing this transformation. :)
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:00PM
elisad77
I was thinking of doing those two, the lighter one sm in the room that gets less light. I'll start with changing the yellow and green rooms first but I'm really wanting to change the clay to that boca raton color and go up the stairs with nc and the half bath boca.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:04PM
elisad77
My bedroom needs to be painted to :/ haha
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:06PM
Natalie
Yes-yes-yes---the BR would look Great in the kitchen area and the NC in the stairwell---Sounds Terrific to me!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:14PM
Natalie
LOL!!!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:16PM
elisad77
Can't wait to start! Stick around for bedroom and kitchen help lol!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:18PM
Natalie
I can't wait either!!! Ready when you are... LOL!
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 12:29PM
elisad77
The trim and ceiling just plain white? Are these neutrals just neutrals or cool/ warm neutrals or is there a such thing?? I have no clue. These colors will work with pops of color?
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 12:43PM
elisad77
Warm with ash undertone so the color doesn't look cold.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 2:22PM
Natalie
Hi---Decorator's White for trim and ceiling... If you want to be a little daring---paint the ceilings Paper White which is a blue/green/gray hue so it's a bit more muted than the DW... Keep me updated... :)
1 Like   January 6, 2013 at 5:44PM
elisad77
I have to admit I'm nervous about the paint and I apologize for my concern. I'm just so sick of painting :/ my concern is I started to paint the green room in May, olivewood by glidden I was almost done and to me it looked cold like cement. I still have the paint and to my untrained eye it looks like NC and lighter than SM. Can u take a look and tell me what I'm not seeing in regards to the difference between them?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:53AM
elisad77
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:54AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Any beige would do but why beige?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:55AM
elisad77
The pic looks more taupe but on the wall in the room with less light it looked cold
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:55AM
elisad77
I was trying to work around the russet red color but I've decided to change it since i don't love it. I wanted something more neutral to not have to change my new drapes, rug, couches. Also I will soon like to update my kitchen. I felt like I would have more options.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 9:58AM
elisad77
Well I went to pick up a sample of boca raton. The man at the store looked at my pictures and said it would clash with my floor "it has too much red and yellow"....
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:32PM
Rosemarie
I'm with Internationals' opinion---ban beiges. Be careful of the greys, some can be very cold and depressing!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:47PM
elisad77
I've never been so confused in my entire life. The floor is merbau with a lot of red/yellow.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 1:50PM
elisad77
?
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 1:59PM
Natalie
Don't worry---the Glidden color does indeed look taupe and I checked it online in a painted room---more of a warm purple/mocha undertone. Stick to the SM and NC-they will work.
Now in regards to the BR, I am surprised the store associate said that color would clash with your floors. If anything, it is most complimentary to your floors. If you will, tape the BR paint strip along the edge of your moulding and floor, snap a pic and upload it---so I see how much these hues clash---I would greatly appreciate it...
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:03PM
Natalie
You beat me to it---Love it! If you're concerned (it is a BIG difference as to what you currently have) go a shade lighter than the BR---Kensington Green 710...
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:06PM
elisad77
I love the br but on my wall it looks gray
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:12PM
Natalie
It does appear to have more gray/blue to it because it is against the clay color... Do you have an off-white sheet or piece of fabric, window panel, etc.? If so, paint the BR closer to the window, (no clay showing) remove the current panel-add the off-white whatever, and see what you think then... :)
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:15PM
Natalie
Just thought about it---you may want to remove the panel BEFORE you paint closer to the window. LOL!!! I know you know that already-trying to make light of this whole thing. Trust me, the color is great for your space.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:17PM
elisad77
Lol I was looking for white paper before you sent that comment
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:19PM
elisad77
Lol I did have it pushed away but put it back because our ugly trash can is outside lol
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:20PM
Natalie
LOL!!! I Love it ---it's Gorgeous! How about you-what do think seeing it now against white???
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:34PM
elisad77
With flash and without
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:36PM
Natalie
Super! I can see it picks up the hues in your rug too. Two thumbs up from me. :)
2 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:39PM
elisad77
The white definitely helps me see less gray. I just painted a big piece of cardboard ill take another look when it dries :) but it's sort of dark on that side of the house now. Jeez I don't remember it being so dark in here.
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:42PM
elisad77
It goes perfectly with the rug!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:43PM
elisad77
Stilly drying but the edges are almost dry
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:44PM
Natalie
It's going to be a bit of a shock---right now the wall is really warm and stimulating. This new color is cooler and calming. :)
It is very pretty...
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:46PM
elisad77
Ativan in a paint can! Yes my living room is VERY colorful lol
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:48PM
Natalie
Do you notice how different the BR looks on the cardboard compared to the clay backdrop? That's what I'm talking about when I explain undertones and such. Your wood tones works very well with it too...
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:50PM
Natalie
LOL!
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:50PM
elisad77
Yes I noticed that. So definitely use primer lol
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:51PM
Natalie
I always-always-always have my primer tinted the same color as the wall color-except when painting red or red/orange---then I have it tinted a deep gray.
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 2:53PM
elisad77
What about the paint that they say have primer in them?
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 2:54PM
Natalie
I've never used the primer paint---guess I'm old fashioned. :)
Found this info for you... http://ezinearticles.com/?You-Dont-Have-to-Waste-Money-on-Premium-Paint-and-Primer-in-One!&id=6138153
1 Like   January 7, 2013 at 3:05PM
elisad77
Started to primer today. I have a long way to go lol. I'm trying to do it during kids nap time. I got most of the yellow room done :) looks better already!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:15PM
elisad77
I primed the yellow room and painted above the fireplace with nc sample. I really like it :) the clay I'm thinking I may keep. I'll paint the two rooms first then decide. If I do keep the clay what color should I do the mantle?? It's too plain with the brown and nc.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 5:30PM
elisad77
Decorators white?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:47PM
Natalie
Hi---clay may stay? I'm glad you started where you did, I thought it might be fine (clay) from the beginning---once the other colors are introduced... For the mantel you could do the DW for now and see how you like it. If you want more color it can be painted out. Glad you like the NC. Uploaded pics when you can. Good Luck!
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 3:20AM
elisad77
:) i remember. Lol that was the original plan but i was all over the place. i only did a a small spot to see the color on the wall. I painted he fireplace the br to get a better idea of the colors together. I like the color but I'm hoping it doesn't make the area feel smaller. I like the warmness with the clay and nc. I now see what you mean about balance and the colors working together.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:20AM
elisad77
A little spot I did. I need to do another coat of primer first. You think the nc is too dark?
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 10:33PM
Natalie
Looks great!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:13AM
elisad77
Ok I used the whole sample can :) I don't know what to do lol!!! I like the soothing crisp look with the br but I like the warmness of the clay.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:52PM
elisad77
I like them both
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:54PM
elisad77
I'm thinking I should continue the northern cliffs on the backside of the stairs and up the stairs since it is a connecting wall. What do u think??
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 2:19PM
elisad77
I've been looking at the wall throughout the day and it looks very gray in the artificial light. I can say for sure I like it better against the clay because the clay warms it. Now I'm not so sure about nc.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:27PM
Natalie
Hi---it looks Great! Love it... :)
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 10:12PM
elisad77
So I'm going to complete both rooms first and decide on the rust/clay but I am pretty certain I will keep it. The mantle and the small 1/2 bath, any recommendation on those colors? It's a small bathroom no windows with a white pedalstal sink.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:59AM
elisad77
Other than white :)

And....:) lamp I just don't know where to put it since there is no room but I really need more lighting. On the side of the couch I had a end table but I moved it. Would it look cramped there?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:03AM
Natalie
Hi---I just did a split screen of how the room looked with the yellow and how it looks now and it's a huge improvement. The BM on the mantel is fine-do you not like it? I think the color change has not set in yet with you---going from stimulating yellow to a more calm muted earthy shade is a shocker---give it some time, at least 3 days to get accustomed to. As for the bathroom---what color/material is the floor?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 4:09PM
elisad77
You're right. I panicked and painted over the northern cliffs and did revere pewter over it. I painted almost the whole room and looked at it and hated it. It dried and I hung my things up and wow! It looks so much better it just came together, now I'm kicking myself in the butt painting over the nc. Sorry I ever had any doubt. I must be the biggest pain in the butt. The bathroom in the same floor.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:02PM
elisad77
I like the br I didn't know if I could use that with the rust/clay
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:04PM
Natalie
So you changed it? LOL! Upload a pic so I can see. I think the BM looked nice on the mantel.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:54PM
elisad77
I painted over the nc with revere :( but now im seeing how it came together AFTER I put the decor back up, so now I'm kicking myself in butt because I liked the nc better but the grayness of it worried me :/ I left the mantel br I like it, I didn't know if br was ok with the rust.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:39PM
Natalie
Oh well, I'm sure it's better than the yellow. The NC is deep and it would neutralize the clay color as well as the wood tones in the cabs to give less contrast, but the RP could work ok. It is warmer and you have a lot of warm hues already, will have to see how it looks in pics. Whenever you a chance in the daylight, snap a few and I'll see what's going on, LOL! I love the in-progress photo you uploaded. The clay color looks so pretty too. Talk soon. :)
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 6:52PM
elisad77
Brb upload a pic from my phone
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:51PM
elisad77
I found this little desk lamp in the garage. Will change it but I wanted to see what lighting did. I didn't finish one wall and I didn't do the second coat sooooo lol I'm going to have to paint again.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:55PM
elisad77
The built in entertainment area. I can't get it to stain right. It was a very light. I'm thinking of just painting it.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:57PM
elisad77
I need a lamp and pillows. I love the pillows you selected :) so what are the rules on pillows? Other than using colors from my rug what pattern should I avoid? Or does it not matter? Also a lamp? Lol
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:13PM
Natalie
Yes, I see the paint is quite light---I think it should be darker than the FP surround. It really added some contrast in with the NC color. A lamp such as the one attached could work for you-it's a little pricey but you can an idea of size and style from it. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/dale-tiffany-addison-art-glass-table-lamp__m1689.html
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:13PM
elisad77
I agree it's too light. With the sun shining in it looked like tinted primer :)
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:15PM
elisad77
Can you give me some ideas on how to incorporate the colors into the front room? I have no idea where to start in there because I just have my couches. Maybe find a rug first :) Also, I'd like to get rid of the blinds but I'd like some privacy at night BUT I don't want very heavy curtains because the room gets very little light.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 1:40PM
elisad77
I know I'm throwing so much at you. I was wondering about the fireplace. What do you think about painting the tile?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:19PM
Natalie
HI---no problem. Your FP tile is neutral and can go with everything-I think what might be throwing you off now is that there is little to no contrast between the tile and the wall color so it just looks sort of "blah". I think you should consider painting the FP wall the NC so the wall will be darker than the tile. If you're 100% happy with the RP paint color, then retile the surround---there is very little area to cover and the update is inexpensive and fairly easy to do. DIY link: http://www.ehow.com/how_6455530_tile-over-tile-fireplace.html
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:03AM
Natalie
Could you snap a few pics---I would really like to see the space from these angles with the new wall color---thanks!
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:08AM
elisad77
I'm not happy with RP. The wall behind the couch where the back door is isn't painted just primer :) the green room I experimented with the RP
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:26AM
elisad77
Oops
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:29AM
Jennifer Hogan
I am a great believer in selecting a whole home color pallet - pick out the things you must keep (most of us can't afford to gut our homes, so many hardscape items like cabinets, counter tops, flooring may be must keeps). Then pick out the colors you love and want to keep (colors in your couch or other upholstered furniture, pictures or art work). Pick your inspiration color, then select a pallet that works with those colors. 5 - 8 colors depending on the number of rooms that you have.

Here is one that I selected for a home that contains an orange/red as the inspiration color.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:35AM
Natalie
Yes, there is little contrast there. I would paint it the NC. The window panels/drapes in both the dining and family room might be a good choice for the living room and new panels with a design/pattern incorporating at least 2 colors, a better fit for the dining/family room(s). Again look to your rug for color as well as pattern---that's what I did with the suggestions I gave above. JC Penney has nice treatments at affordable prices. Check them out... :) Do have your clay wall color on hand when selecting panels---or you may just opt for a simple roman shade (neutral color, no pattern) for the dining space. http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/departments/window-treatments/in-home-services/custom-decorating-/resource-center/cindy-crawford-style-palais-grommet-top-drapery-panel/prod.jump?ppId=1a1f1ff&cmvc=JCP|dept20000011|cat100260213|cat100260226|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=¤tTabCatId=®Id=
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 9:07AM
elisad77
I got all my curtains at jc penny. I called them last week and I can return them all for store credit. My issue is I need 108 length so I was limited. I do still have the clay paint. Would the family and dining area need to be the same?
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 9:15AM
elisad77
I'm curious how you would suggest handing curtains on the two long narrow windows on each side of the canvas?
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:58AM
Natalie
Hi---I recommend hanging the drapery rods as close to the ceiling as possible and extending them at least 8 inches on either side-if it's not possible on the outer edge/corner, then at least on the inside (near canvas). Hang panels straight and parted---2, 3, or 4 panels per window should be sufficient. Pics for you. NO---the dining area can have a different window treatment---roman shade would be better.
[houzz=][houzz=Modern Classic Family room][houzz=Urban Living - Pacific Heights][houzz=Amy Lau]
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:13AM
elisad77
I need a rug badly for the front room. The couches a taupe gray and the windows face north and a tree in my front yard. So I don't get much light. What should I look for in a rug ? With wall color and couches being very close in color.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:06PM
Natalie
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:22PM
elisad77
I'm so nervous to paint. I'm so very sorry. I'm just really concerned about the green room.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:53PM
Natalie
Hi---you're nervous to paint the green room, or to repaint the family room? Seattle Mist for the living (green room). At the very least, paint the FP wall with NC. Don't worry about painting, trust me-it will be an improvement and you'll like the difference. :)
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:05AM
elisad77
I'm just worried sm in the green room will be too gloomy because it just does not get any light. I think I need to prime again because painting over what I already painted is just throwing me off
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:06AM
elisad77
But I keep reminding myself I have nothing but taupe sofas in that room. I need to add color with decor.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:10AM
elisad77
Ok my issue is I like the nc when the lights are on in the evening or where it's more shaded. When the natural light hits it, it's washed out and looks too gray to me. So I'd like to find something more towards the beige...and the front....I'm thinking how I love the mantel with the rug. Is there a beige, cream that I can use to work with the boca? I'm wondering if the front room needs something warm because its just so gloomy in there during the day.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:51AM
elisad77
Because I have such a hard time visualizing everything in my own home it's unreal to me to that you can. You have a gift I wish I had. So my concerns are being too gray, cold, gloomy, feeling closed in. If you can reassure me that it won't be any of these things I will shut my mouth and just do it. I really do appreciate all of your help. I really do.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:33AM
elisad77
Is there a cream color I could use with the nc in the green room? Then use gray accents?? I really seems so dreary in there. North window, tree, and a front porch overhang.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:15PM
Natalie
Hello--- been off for a few days---sorry to keep you hanging. It was the Seattle Mist I recommended for the green room, but if you're having doubts then try Manchester Tan, Grant Beige, or Elmira White for the walls. Use the attached photo as inspiration for pops of color and accessories... CheerS!
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:46PM