Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Large bare walls-what can I do?
lukiesmom
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We've recently moved into a new house and created an open concept floorplan. I am in the process of trying to find a new dining set that seats at least six. We also are finishing up our son's playroom; hence all the toys everywhere. I cannot decide what to do with the large wall in that area. My color palette is very neutral; lots of cream, white, and nickel, and dark wood floors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
How is this space going to be used? Do you have existing furniture for it?
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:45AM
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Hi!
What a great open space you have! You can be very flexible over the years as to how you will purpose each section of that space.
I suggest adding some detail to the large wall with some moldings and dividers. By that I mean, if the section where the tv is will be your family room area, then you might try a flat molding hung vertically to define the space. Since your color scheme is neutral, you need to add texture to that wall. Try something like grasscloth wallpaper to introduce some texture.
If that wall is the focal point in the room, consider having a decorative painter come and add some detail to that wall with her techniques.
Hope that helps!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 10:49AM
PRO
Rose Construction, Inc.
How about some bookshelves? Built-ins can be very nice, and don't have to only have books - they can be a place to display treasures, and can be built around a TV, if that is your thing.
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 12:47PM
lukiesmom
Thank you for all of your suggestions; they're a huge help! I really like the idea of large black and white prints with a thick white matte, perhaps three. I also like the built-in idea. I've looked at other pictures with that and it is very nice. I'm not sure how I would add texture to the wall though. It just flows along the entire side of the house with no separation; so the entire wall would have to be textured. I do have a small counter height dining set in the area now, but am looking for a larger table with perhaps a natural fiber rug under it. I just didn't want to add another bulky piece of furniture on the wall because of the piece the t.v. is on. I don't know how else to define the space. I am curious about what you mean by the flat molding hung vertically? Again, thank you so much for your responses!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 2:46PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
What a grand open space. Please orient me to the usage of the areas as you see it. I see the pillar, is the dining room to the right or left where the tv is now. Is the other portion a great room. Is your son's playroom somewhere else or is it part of this area. And does the room "L" toward the foreground??? Help!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:06PM
decoenthusiaste
Maybe you could stand at the column and shoot at each corner of the room, starting with a shot to the doorway and moving clockwise around it. That would orient Houzzers to the space. Add the new posts here, so we can see what you've already posted too.,
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:23PM
Nancy Hehmann
Look on Etsy.com for art - painting or photography. It is a collection of shops with artisans and craftsman from all over US, Canada and world. On each site you can contact the shop owner and most can customize what you would like; I know I can. Any selection can be created in black and white, or a different size or printed on canvas. Just contact me with your needs. Click on the link below and you will see sailboats in a bay taken off Prince Edward Island. But, I have many themes and locations. You may want a different theme. You could choose three from one desitnation or horses. High def photography is uplifting - it can take you where you want to be in an instant. I awaken to St. Thomas every morning!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/105994719/photography-of-many-sailboats-in-the-bay

Etsy also has other types of wall hangings and home decor. Just type what you need in their search engine. I have a young adult cousin who orders the cutest matching dresses for her daughters. I know with little ones it is difficult to get time to shop sometimes.

Take care and Have a Happy New Year!
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 3:34PM
marydean
If this is a kids area, a huge map of the world would be great. Part art, part learning opportunity. Ikea makes a great one -- the colors are nice and neutral/faded. I have one hanging in my teenage son's "man cave" I think it cost $150 -- stretched canvas
0 Likes   December 31, 2012 at 5:18PM
lukiesmom
Wow! Thank you for all the responses this is the first time I've posted here. In reference to the comment from Barbara Griffiths Designs my son's playroom is in another room; it is still a work in progress. The room is sort of an L-shape. I took the picture from one of my sofas. The front door is to the left, the dining area falls between the posts, and the kitchen is behind the far post. There is another matching cream-colored full sized sofa and a double window to the left of my vantage point. The picture was a spur of the moment decision, but I would be happy to take a few more. We have many projects we want to still do such as updating the kitchen, but all in good time. The large bare wall is what is driving me crazy right now. I love more monochromatic looks with a richness to it. I will upload more pictures tomorrow. Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:01PM
spunkychic
I think some light fixtures will help define the spaces also. I don't quite understand your layout either, but it just looks like two tables floating in room. If you do a large chandelier, it will help look like the table it meant to be there. also, when you create the family room siting area, some chairs facing away from the dining area will help separate the sitting a little. Once you have your areas defined a little better, it will be easier to decorate the walls. I like the bookcase idea. You can also get some bookcases from ikea and add crown and basemold to it and make it look like a built-in entertainment center that will be more spacious. In my opinion, you need something big and bulky on that wall in your t.v. area. The t.v. is gorgeous, but isn't big enough for the room. Maybe try putting that behind the couch with some decorations/lamps on it.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:23PM
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
There are so many options about art. Please take a look here at my online store of prints: http://alexeirebrov.com/

Let me know if you like anything and I can make a wall design for your room with prints you'd like to see.

Alexei
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:58AM
houssaon
Take a look at allposters.com. They have a wide selection of prints and posters, framed and unframed to suit any style. See: Dining Room, Soho Loft, Transitional West Hollywood Condo Makeover, and Guest Bedroom.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:05AM
designideas4me
Carolina Photo To Go LLC... I have a question in that you mentioned etsy. Do many designers buy artwork from that site or where else do they buy from. I am thinking of pursuing my interest in art and want to sell it so I was just doing some research. thanks
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 10:10AM
lukiesmom
There is so much that I want to do to the space. I am attaching more photos to show it better. I would like to do a neutral rug in the living and dining area but I am not sure if it would be too much. I currently do not have a coffee table because my son is in the climbing phase, but I will be getting one.I have a large drum pendant for the dining area but am waiting until I find the right table before I install it. I also want to get rid of the rocker and get two white or cream club chairs. The posts in the dining area are going to be clad in decorative white wood with crown moulding. We are also getting a new front door; either a rich mahogony or black with a lot of glass to open it up. Again, we've only recently moved in but I am itching to get everything done. The toys will be in the playroom when it is done so don't let that be a distraction. We did a lot of work in this house to create an open concept so I really want to make the most of the space. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
I need help
I need teen bedroom ideas. I am terrible with designs...
Microwave advice needed
There was an October thread about how to add an OTR...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Storing media components in nonworking fireplace
I am searching for something to house the media components...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.