powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ways to deal with/hide 60s building heating/AC units.
Linda Pinsker
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Greetings, Houzzers. I will be moving into a highrise condo unit in a few months and I'm scouring Houzz for ideas, including good ones for the fan coil units that supply heating and cooling. Removing them is not an option. The control and blower are on the top so must remain uncovered. I've thought of the usual rad cover with perforated metal on top but would love to hear others' ideas. There's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
December 31, 2012 at 11:39AM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Here is a link to a Houzz search. Most cover the top, which won't work in your case, but there are a few that don't or do it differently and it might work.
http://www.houzz.com/radiator-covers
December 31, 2012 at 12:20PM   
mpoulsom
This is probably going to sound weird, but here goes....get an old dresser or chest that is slightly bigger than unit. Cut the back off and slide it to cover the unit. You would have to just adhere or nail the drawer front to the base and disassemble the actual drawers of course. Then remove the top of the dresser, and make long slatted openings or holes of some sort. Hinge it back on for opening to adjust heat/air controls. If you didn't want to use the dresser top, you could find something else that could be hinged or slid. Maybe out of a different material other than wood, but that would be lightweight enough to be easily opened.
December 31, 2012 at 12:33PM     
Linda Pinsker
Deborah Butler, thank you. I have seen some of these pics but many are new to me.
December 31, 2012 at 12:46PM   
Linda Pinsker
Mpoulsom, not weird at all. I think it's creative! One thing I didn't mention in my original post was that I have to be able to move any cover away to access the condensation overflow pan on the bottom, and when the building maintenance people do maintenance. So I'd be looking for a light weight dresser. ;-)
December 31, 2012 at 12:48PM   
mpoulsom
ok cool....if you got one with short legs on it, you may be able to still remove tray at bottom??? Not sure though? Put an area rug in front of it and add 2 chairs on each side?? :)
I haven't really investigated this sort of situation before. Just off the top of my head, but if I run across something else, I'll be sure to tell you about it! Happy New Year!
December 31, 2012 at 12:59PM   
rwagenaar
Two very useful comments above; may I offer a third one. Especially if you are renting and don't want to improve the r
Real Estate at your expense. In the living room I would place a sofa in front of it and have it flanked by floor to ceiling drapes. In the bedroom I would buy a nice dresser or dressing table(small mirror is the key) and place it in front of it - again flanked by drapes.
December 31, 2012 at 1:12PM   
rwagenaar
dressing tables
December 31, 2012 at 1:13PM   
rwagenaar
more
December 31, 2012 at 1:14PM   
mpoulsom
hey...a couple of pics i found...maybe adjusted to your style and for the function you need..
December 31, 2012 at 1:15PM   
mpoulsom
one more... :)
December 31, 2012 at 1:16PM   
Aja Mazin
Take care!

You are going to cut the needed airflow with some of your suggestions.

Also, sofa and drapes will soon be soiled

Clean it up and learn to live with it because come next summer, you won't be able to live without it.

When not in use, lean a large painting or mirror in front of it.

Also large, leafy potted plants help.
December 31, 2012 at 1:21PM   
Linda Pinsker
So many good ideas. Thank you so much! Happy New Year!
December 31, 2012 at 3:14PM