Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room ideas
garlough
December 31, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have recently opened up our kitchen and family room into one open room. The room is 23 x 20 total, roughly 460 square feet. The cabinets are a knotty pine, the hardwood was just put in and is a cherry coloured hickory. The couch is new, a soft grey colour, with new paint on the walls, Benjamin Moore Pikes Peak Gray 2127-50.

Now here is where my questions come in...
- the burgundy lazy boy chair is going, but I'm not sure what kind of seating to replace it with; I'm thinking 2 chairs, with an oversized ottoman but not sure of colour or style; I have 2 children, age 10 and 13, so it has to be comfy enough that they'll actually use it (rather than 4 of us squeezed on the couch!)
- I would like to put a fireplace with mantel in the corner where the TV is, but again, not sure what colour to go with; should I go black mantel, black chairs, black tables so it all fits together? I want a fairly traditional mantel, but I want the room to have a more modern overall look, because we originally had lots of pine, with a country look, and I'm looking for a change
- on the kitchen side, the countertops will eventually be changed (hopefully to granite) so the green will not clash with the blue/Gray on the walls; what cool our of granite would look best? And what kind of window treatment should I go with in both rooms?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
garlough
More pics
December 31, 2012 at 11:45AM   
garlough
More pics
December 31, 2012 at 11:46AM   
PRO
Jo Cook Interior Design
Would you consider painting your cabinets? A white color to match the trim in the living room would make a world of difference. I would look so updated and clean. Then you could bring in almost any color to work with the gray couch and walls. And a black mantel and furniture would really finish off the look!
December 31, 2012 at 12:10PM   
garlough
I would LOVE to paint the cabinets...unfortunately my husband would have a heart attack if I even mention the idea! I like the wood look, if I can somehow make them work with the rest of the room:)
December 31, 2012 at 12:15PM   
More Discussions
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
I've painted my office Benjamin Moore's Breath of Fresh Air-I hate it
There's no color at all. I thought from looking at...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.